Screen Brightness

BbRelic

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
According to some reviews and videos the screen brightness or lack there of is geeting a thumbs down.
Is anybody else concerned with this?
Could this keep you away from the S3?
Do you think they will patch it later?

Just wondering.

And no I have not cancelled my pre order of the S3 yet.

Have a nice day.

jk175d

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to some reviews and videos the screen brightness or lack there of is geeting a thumbs down.
Is anybody else concerned with this?
Could this keep you away from the S3?
Do you think they will patch it later?

Just wondering.

And no I have not cancelled my pre order of the S3 yet.

Have a nice day.

I've gotten the impression that out of the box the brightness level is set on the low side, and that the reviewers (or users of HTC phones looking to feel better about their own phones) have not been savvy enough to make the settings adjustment before doing their screen comparisons.

tom5

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, the brightness is OK, I would be much more worried about those "ink marks" you get because of the AMOLED production process (or in other words: Samsung's crappy quality assurance) like described here:
Galaxy S3 Display Problem! Pink tint + ink marks confirmed ... - xda-developers
(the last picture in the opening post).
Seems like most of the units have this but many people won't notice (you can only see it when looking at dark background in a dark environment (room). And if it's not noticeable that's OK, but there are also really bad cases when the spots are big and you clearly see them.

So for all of you planning to buy it: pray to have small dots or no dots at all (rare cases) :).
Mine looks like this:
img6667popr.png
In regular use I don't see it. When in darkness I'm able to notice the bigger "dots" when dark images/videos are being viewed.

Last edited:

tom5

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
As I said - this is not something you'll notice in regular use (in most of the cases) but it's kinda pissing me off... It shouldn't be there at all in the phone that costs $800. I made a photo with SGS2 next to it, both phones are displaying pure black image and as you notice SGS2 has much deeper blacks while SGS3 has some kind of glow. I don't know if all this is PenTile related or PenTile+HD related. Samsung probably won't say a word about it.
Except that the phone is really great and the screen is also great in normal conditions.
sgs2sgs3.png

Last edited:

liteon163

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
There's a free app called "Display Tester" in the market. It helps reveal a lot of calibration issues, including dead pixel detection.

I fully recommend people try it out if they're worried about their screen.

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.

tom5

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
There's a free app called "Display Tester" in the market. It helps reveal a lot of calibration issues, including dead pixel detection.

I fully recommend people try it out if they're worried about their screen.

I use the code *#0*# to test basic colors (RGB).

And remember - as for the "effects" described here you'll notice it only when in the dark and with black background displayed so there's no chance seeing it just in a shop when all the lights are on.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Don't worry, the brightness is OK, I would be much more worried about those "ink marks" you get because of the AMOLED production process (or in other words: Samsung's crappy quality assurance) like described here:
Galaxy S3 Display Problem! Pink tint + ink marks confirmed ... - xda-developers
(the last picture in the opening post).
Seems like most of the units have this but many people won't notice (you can only see it when looking at dark background in a dark environment (room). And if it's not noticeable that's OK, but there are also really bad cases when the spots are big and you clearly see them.

So for all of you planning to buy it: pray to have small dots or no dots at all (rare cases) :).
Mine looks like this:
Click to view quoted image
In regular use I don't see it. When in darkness I'm able to notice the bigger "dots" when dark images/videos are being viewed.

Please stop whining about Ink Marks/Blotches on SAMOLED display - xda-developers

tom5

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Yes I've read this before, but this issue is so random that one can't say if it's a problem or not for another person and particular phone unit, you have to take it and examine for yourself. If the guy is happy with his phone - good for him. I'm 95% happy :). No 2 phones have identical displays (or rather - identically imperfect displays). Samsung clearly can't mass-produce flawless AMOLEDs at the moment.

Firemeat23

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Well I am a little disappointed with the screen brightness, I am coming from a I phone 4, the display is really nice I just wish it was a little brighter, and in the sun you might as well leave it in your pocket because you can't see anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: arizonamman

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
Well I am a little disappointed with the screen brightness, I am coming from a I phone 4, the display is really nice I just wish it was a little brighter, and in the sun you might as well leave it in your pocket because you can't see anything.

I finally got my S3 and after reading this thread, I am stumped. Or really lucky. I don't have those spots. My screen is perfect. No light bleed either like with my iP4. (the difference between pentile and ips)

My screen brightness is consistent with the iP4 I have and set to high, ai was able to make out the screen in bright sunshine at the beach today and take some great shots. This is the best camera I have ever had on a phone. No lag at all either, unlike with the iphone.

bauer2

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site

If you adjust all the brightness settings it looks fine. In low light it's border line to bright. I guess you could say it's not bright enough if you like getting a tan from the light.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Firemeat23

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
If you adjust all the brightness settings it looks fine. In low light it's border line to bright. I guess you could say it's not bright enough if you like getting a tan from the light.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Agree to disagree I guess. Yes In low light it is fine, no question, but at least for me it is almost unusable in direct sunlight.

BbRelic

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
During my first 24 hours of use with the phone I have learned that with the adjusted settings the screen looks Great indoors.

However outdoors in bright light the phone is unusable.

I am very surprised as everything else about the phone is great.

arizonamman

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The "unusable in direct sunlight" comments have me concerned. It will be the first thing I check after un-boxing/charging. If it is that bad, I'll put on the Steinheil. Almost 300 days per year with sun and I use my phone almost exclusively outdoors. If still bad, it goes back.
:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech