GS3 Smart Stay seems to be a con

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
i have been using the international version GS3 for about 3wks and i have noticed consistently that the smart stay doesn't work well even when i'm outside on a bright afternoon looking right at the screen. i have to keep touching the screen to stop it from dimming

But every time i open a book on Goggle Play book, whether i'm looking at the screen or not, the screen doesn't go off for a long period

is Samsung trying to con us or am i missing something?

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I think its more meant for night time if your reading before bed and stuff. That's what I'll be using it for.

its actually worse at night in not so great lighting...

i hope they fix it with a software update once the euphoria of getting the hardware into the hands of the 9million people who preordered it and the odd million that snagged it earlier than those:) wears off

txrx007

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
same here.. works for more than 80% of the time
and when it doesnt, its because lack of light.

I like the smart stay function overal. especially when driving my car

Blackhawk4

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
And most reviews clearly state in low/poor lighting conditions it does not always work perfectly. Which makes perfect sense if you think about what it is doing.

Well of course. It's not like it's going to work very well in a pitch black room even if you have brightness at its highest.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
i wouldnt say 'con', i would say it's like a siri/svoice- cool in theory, not so cool in actuality

Hmm - I agree siri - and maybe svoice too - are probably WAY overhyped. I don't believe siri can reliably do half the stuff they show in the Apple commercials, and have seen that confirmed by many users.

On the other hand, I have Vlingo on my BlackBerry, and have found it very helpful, as long as you learn and understand (and are willing to accept) its limitations. It's worked very well for me for voice dialing, quick internet searches, and most of all - short text messages - when I'm driving and prefer to keep my hands on the wheel and use the bluetooth headset.

By speaking slowly and distinctly, with slight hesitations between words, a text message of a sentence or so is probably 95+% accurate in my experience. On the other hand, I tried a couple of email responses needing a paragraph or so, and quickly determined that wasn't a good idea.

Svoice is licensed from Vlingo, correct?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
All I know is Myriam at Engadget said after using it she wants to toss every other phone that times out on her. Thats a pretty good endorsement of the feature.

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Just got my s3..smart stay doesn't work at all for me..the eyes comes on but screen blackout almost immediately...I learnt to just enjoy the phone without smart stay....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante