Has Samsung Really Sold 9 Million Phones Already? Wow!

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
On May 18, Android Central reported that Samsung had received 9 million preorders of the GS3.

At the time many thought these were merely carrier orders, and there was one suggestion that the carriers were a bit too optimistic in their sales projections, and might wind up having devices sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Based on these reported delays it seems the carriers around the world have depleted their initial stock, and are now either in a position of ordering more phones or Samsung is still trying to catch up with filling the 9 million previous orders?

Either way, 9 million phones is a lot of phones. I'm waiting to see how many GS3's they wind up actually selling.

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Those were international pre-orders. Pre-orders for the North America markets didn't start until 6/5.

Consumer pre-orders started 6/5 (or 6/6) for North America. Carrier pre-orders started much sooner, I'm sure. That number, if its carrier pre-orders, may include North America - or may not - not enough info to know.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Well judging by the delays of the N. American release plus sales world wide and reports of shortages of the phone, Samsung is selling the Galaxy S III faster than it can make it. That 9 million number by now is a serious understatement..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

astoriacub

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
These sales numbers have to be very concerning to Nokia and RIM in that Samsung has a huge advantage over them in mind share penetration and brand awareness among consumers. It's going to be very difficult for them to compete against Samsung and Apple.

Last edited:

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
These sales numbers have to be very concerning to Microsoft and RIM in that Samsung has a huge advantage over them in mind share penetration and brand awareness among consumers. It's going to be very difficult for them to compete against Samsung and Apple.

I agree with you only because we're in the same neighborhood! :) lol

Its going to be interesting to see how many units Samsung sold worldwide!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would think its safe to say by now if your a smartphone user if you haven't heard of Samsung and the Galaxy S "series/line" by now or in the past few years you have been on a deserted island somewhere... :p

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Those were international pre-orders. Pre-orders for the North America markets didn't start until 6/5.

Well this is great news because the economy must be doing great if millions can afford a $200.00 phone this month. It also had to come with a data plan and that could a add another $30.00 to phone companies profits, spread the word everyone !:);):p:thumbup::D

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Once the dust settles and final worldwide "pre-order" volume can be determined and published, will be very interesting to compare with Apple's pre-order volume of 4s and previous iPhones.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I would think its safe to say by now if your a smartphone user if you haven't heard of Samsung and the Galaxy S "series/line" by now or in the past few years you have been on a deserted island somewhere... :p

A deserted island called Apple perhaps?!...lol! My apologies.....I take that back! Love my Apple fanatics!! :D

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Well this is great news because the economy must be doing great if millions can afford a $200.00 phone this month. It also had to come with a data plan and that could a add another $30.00 to phone companies profits, spread the word everyone !:);):p:thumbup::D

if people only bought what they could afford the economy would be fine right now ... Do u know how many iphones and ipads are being used by our poor?

Anyway I cannot wait to see the actual numbers in a few weeks .... I would also really like to know how many people pre ordered this phone ... U.s. alone

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
That's the same comparison I want to see.

unfortunately it wont match iphone preorders.. ever. most "casual" users will buy the iphone regardless of its a cardboard box with a screen drawn onto it. but this is definitely a good sign moving forward for android..hopefully the other manufacturers follow suit by releasing 1 powerful device on all carriers similar to what samsung did/apple does. this obviously seems like the way to go.. and go against the business model of releasing 50 phones during the year and completey oversaturating

NIKSTORM

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
This is off topic but on point with the out selling Apple thing.
I think that Android needs a central hub on the computer, or a much cleaner simpler gmail account to hold and subversive all phone info to.
I know a bunch of people who like the idea of black berry desktop manager and itunes.
Android would be a lot less scary to people if it had a central hub you can control yourself.
Most people are either to lazy or to scared or just don't care enough to really persue what a Droid really can do.
You all have to admit that desktop manger and itunes are easy as hell to use, and people like that ease.
IPhone = everyone has one and I have I tunes already so that's the phone I need.
Android = that's for serious phone people, I will just get the easy to use iphone.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft,Apple, linux should incorporate android into their systems . That way everyone is connected Ann's sharing. I know it won't happen because they're all to greedy and they want it all.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You all have to admit that desktop manger and itunes are easy as hell to use, and people like that ease.

Isn't iTunes a complete cluster and the general consensus is it needs a complete overhaul? I was actually surprised they didn't announce something at WWDC about it, as I thought Apple was in the process of rewriting it from the ground up.

Not that I disagree that a central hub is useful...but the play store fits that bill pretty nicely for me...and it's accessible via a web browser from any device. Of course I am pretty much all-in on the cloud so having something to manage the physical storage isn't that important to me and I'm content with managing it via USB for what I need...but I realize that's a bit scary for some people.

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
if people only bought what they could afford the economy would be fine right now ... Do u know how many iphones and ipads are being used by our poor?

Really? How about the corruption of our financial services, deregulation, predatory lending, and huge bank bailouts?

Sorry, but a few ipads and iphones purchased irresponsibly is a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things.

coinmanmat

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Samsung needs more than just one factory to produce phones, when you have a phone like the Galaxy S III that literally sells like hot cakes, you need to ramp up your production to meet demand.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums