I know there's always a better phone around the corner

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/22...f-ram-and-lte/
    06-22-2012 11:49 AM
    It's preference, basically identical specs, but better screen and camera on One.
    06-22-2012 11:57 AM
    Or just be on Verizon and not have a choice anyway!
    scorpiodsu and paul-c like this.
    06-22-2012 12:40 PM
    Exactly, I love verizon coverage but hate their phone selection 99% of the time.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    06-22-2012 01:08 PM
    Haha, this.

My first smartphone was the Droid Inc. Why? The first and only legit 'good' Android phone on Verizon at the time, and I was due for an upgrade. Not much of a choice otherwise.

This time around I was looking forward to trying out the next Droid incarnation (Fighter/HD?), iPhone 5, One X, etc. But thanks to the new sharing plans I had to jump on an upgrade now. The choice is really only one phone once again - the S3. It's a great phone to be sure, but I would have liked to wait for a selection...and at this point I would pick the One X if I could.
    NIKSTORM likes this.
    06-22-2012 02:03 PM
    It's preference, basically identical specs, but better screen and camera on One.
    It's a quad-core with 2GB RAM, so better than either the US or international versions of the SGS3 (but not the Korean ).

Ha, good point. That's why I jumped on the SGS3.
    06-22-2012 02:23 PM
    No it isn't quad-core, it's an S4, which is a dual-core. It's the exact same hardware specs as the US SGS3. My guess is they realized that the US versions of the One X and the SGS3 with S4's would outperform the international quad-core variants in many aspects of daily use, which is to be expected (hybrid A15>reference A9). But of course the SGS3 will beat it out due to the 2GB of RAM. So HTC is just answering back with something that will match, not beat, the US SGS3. But as usual, HTC won't have anywhere near the market penetration or branding power that Samsung has, and no one outside of the tech-savvy minority will even know the difference.

Go ahead right now, and ask your non-techie friends how many of them have heard of an HTC One X, then ask about the Galaxy S3 phone, don't even need to say Samsung.
    06-22-2012 03:10 PM
    Aren't you glad so many apps have quad core support? Your phone is not obselete and you will not find in app in two years that it wont run.

Sent from my Droid Incredible running CM7
    06-22-2012 03:13 PM
    No it isn't quad-core, it's an S4, which is a dual-core. It's the exact same hardware specs as the US SGS3. My guess is they realized that the US versions of the One X and the SGS3 with S4's would outperform the international quad-core variants in many aspects of daily use, which is to be expected (hybrid A15>reference A9). But of course the SGS3 will beat it out due to the 2GB of RAM. So HTC is just answering back with something that will match, not beat, the US SGS3. But as usual, HTC won't have anywhere near the market penetration or branding power that Samsung has, and no one outside of the tech-savvy minority will even know the difference.

Go ahead right now, and ask your non-techie friends how many of them have heard of an HTC One X, then ask about the Galaxy S3 phone, don't even need to say Samsung.
    "but will feature 2GB of RAM and a quad-core Snapdragon S4 processor "

My thread title was just a joke. Obviously the next big phone out there will have better specs than the SGS3, but I plan to be happy with my SGS3 for a long while.
    06-22-2012 03:23 PM
    Aren't you glad so many apps have quad core support? Your phone is not obselete and you will not find in app in two years that it wont run.

Sent from my Droid Incredible running CM7
    Yes, of course. That's why I laugh at the people getting all bent out of shape about the benchmark diffs between the quad and dual versions of the SGS3. Running benchmarks better doesn't necessarily change the user experience.
    06-22-2012 03:24 PM
    With cell phones these days, the next best is already being talked about and maybe FCC approved before you even purchase the newly released hotness. Sprint folks buying the SGS3 currently have LGs monster quad core LTE phone on the horizon. If you wait, you'll forever be waiting unfortunately. I recommend buying the phone that makes you the happiest with it's current capabilities, and try to forget about the up and comming devices because you'll go mad.

Or be like me and buy any phone you want at full MSRP, and sell it in a couple months for $400 ish making the next purchase only $200 out of pocket. Thats how I've been supplying my addiction and $200 every 4 months is not hard to swallow when you know it's coming and put a stash aside
    06-22-2012 03:26 PM
    Me and HTC don't get along so I could careless!!
    06-22-2012 03:29 PM
    Haha, this.

My first smartphone was the Droid Inc. Why? The first and only legit 'good' Android phone on Verizon at the time, and I was due for an upgrade. Not much of a choice otherwise.

This time around I was looking forward to trying out the next Droid incarnation (Fighter/HD?), iPhone 5, One X, etc. But thanks to the new sharing plans I had to jump on an upgrade now. The choice is really only one phone once again - the S3. It's a great phone to be sure, but I would have liked to wait for a selection...and at this point I would pick the One X if I could.
    I 100% agree with this post , my exact words..... and i am a fan of htc cause i like sence, but i do hate how small the batteries are on the htc's
    06-22-2012 08:33 PM
    After hearing HTC's CEO say "our customers value thinner phones over better battery life" and then limiting the internal storage to 16GB on top of that for the One X I'm skeptical that HTC will deliver come a quad-core phone.

Honestly, I love the new Sense 4. I really do. I think it's the best skin out there by far. It's lighter, but still a little bloated, but 2GB of ram would likely help with that.

HTC's biggest issue has always been battery life. They always put smaller batteries in all their devices than their competition does and on top of that Sense is more taxing on battery life than their competitors.

If HTC could essentially take a One X in terms of design and build quality, throw a quad-core Qualcomm processor in it with 32GB internal storage and a microSD card slot as a bonus (i think most people would even be willing to lose the microSD as long as they at least had 32gb) with 2GB of ram and NO LESS than a 2600mah battery (I really think this is the sweet spot for smart phones to last all day without any problems. Motorola's 3300mah is a luxury, but no one will match that for a while) there really isn't anyone else out there that could challenge them on the Android side.

I'm not going to lie, if they do the above unless I really like Touchwiz I'd switch to their phone. Heck, I don't even need the quad-core. Give me the S4 but with better battery life and more storage and I'm good. Oh, and on Verizon please.
    06-22-2012 10:23 PM
    I know there's always a better phone around the corner

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/22...f-ram-and-lte/
    Quad-cores are worthless, and here is why, majority of the apps on the market today and the ones still being built, are made to run on a single core, and that is majority, only a few which is mainly games are built specifically for dual core processors and only a few other programs take advantage of dual core, but these apps are few and far between. This is an issue even with PC's today, many programs and even games still do not utilize our quad core processors, it is sad really. But it is what it is.

This is why many benchmarks show Dual Core processors beating quad core, because the quad core will usually have lower single clock cores while the dual cores higher per a core... which means, since the program will only utilize one or two cores, the higher clock will yield a higher benchmark.

Quad cores, today really only see their benefit, when you have say, 4 programs open at once, that way, each core can be dedicated to one program at a time. Which will be quicker than a dual core, but we are talking a phone here, how many people are actually utilizing 4 programs at once, and will there really be a significant difference compared to the dual core, not really.
    habanero61 likes this.
    06-23-2012 01:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD