Can't figure out how to save apps to sdcard

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't know for sure but I am told there is an app to do it but only for rooted phones. I wish they had mentioned this in the advertising as I would have gone for the 32gb. Google are aholes for doing this. I hate to say it but they are getting a bit like apple.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

in what way?
tbh i dont see a way for an app to make it possible to run apps from ext sd mate.
should have done some reading before buying the phone.. its the future. be thankful you dont have an HTC One X with no sd slot for media ;)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
......plus it takes seconds/minutes to download an app whenever you need it, no need to have 16gb of apps on your phone. even if its games, cant backup apps save your progress in the game as app data?

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or crazy) guess ;)

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
its not ICS, its the way Google want Android devices to work in the future, its more secure ;)

Funk, if I may call you that, how is it not ICS (and JB) when it's built-in to ICS (and JB)? Ohhh, I suppose it could be something built into the firmware or hardware, but I'm a software person and don't know anything about that equipment stuff.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
ive been called everything under the sun lol funk is fine ;)
id say its a hardware thing as the flash storage named sd card is built into the phone.
and its not an ICS thing because ive had other ICS phones that used the old storage system

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had the opposite experience. Was running the PREVIOUS version of android OS on this phone, then upgraded to ICS and lost the use of app2SD And, effectively, the use of my.SDCard.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had the opposite experience. Was running the PREVIOUS version of android OS on this phone, then upgraded to ICS and lost the use of app2SD And, effectively, the use of my.SDCard.<br />
<br />
on the s3?????

Madness87

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You can save updates, extra downloads to your external SD card, but the initial app is forced to be on the internal memory.

It's actually not much of an issue. I have well over 40+ apps that I regularly use, and even some games, and I still have about 9-10+ GB left. I also have a 32gb SD card. I save almost everything possible to the SD card.

I have yet to meet anyone, even those with an HTC One X say that they have more apps than the memory will allow. If anything you could probably download the top 200 apps and still have plenty of space. Most apps are 20 mb or lower...

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
On my iPhone I have 200 Apps installed, and it only takes up 10gigs of space. Unless Android apps are that much bigger, and you have more than 200, I don't see storing them to the HD as a problem.

richhudsonsmith

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I have just run sd tools on my phone and I get a write speed of 7.2 mb/s and a read speed of 17.3 mb/s.

Is this fake or real?

---------- Post Merged at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:49 AM ----------

I have just run sd tools on my phone and I get a write speed of 7.2 mb/s and a read speed of 17.3 mb/s.

Is this fake or real?

Wrong thread sorry.

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Actually you still can put apps on the SD Card you just have to use scripts to do it. The reason it doesn't work anymore is that the path has changed. However some phones with Android 4.0.4 still are able to move apps to the SD Card because the manufacturer's added layer corrected the path. Samsung has not, so the GS3 doesn't allow for it. However Motorola's Droid RAZR MAXX which is also 4.0.4 does allow for it. Regardless you can bypass this issue if you are familiar with scripts.

If you check the XDA forums there are many links on how to correct this issue...

App2ExtSD – How to Save Apps to External MicroSD for U.S./Canadian Galaxy S3! | Galaxy S3 Root

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
The speed you can Read/Write on the SDCard is defined by its class type.
Class 4 = 4 MB/s
Class 10 = 10 MB/s

Class 10 is currently the highest transfer rate.

terifroemming

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
this is not an ICS issue. It is the phone.. there is a way to move your apps but u need to root your phone then move them that way. NOT AN ICS ISSUE!!!!!!!

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
this is not an ICS issue. It is the phone.. there is a way to move your apps but u need to root your phone then move them that way. NOT AN ICS ISSUE!!!!!!!

yup. its the new way of using memory, a big unpartitioned chunk of internal memory named Sd Card that can store everything.
my last device was ICS and had app2sd before i rooted it :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

WAWood8

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
You have to go into the app, open it and see if it has a option to indicate where to store the media files. If it does, then select ExtSDCard. IF it does not have such an option, you're stuck. And BTW, this thread is not about storing media files, it's about moving APPS to the sd card -- very different problem.

Felicia Manohar

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
can someone advise me do you need to root the phone first before you start installing directory blind.
Or you can install directory blind and then start using the software

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
can someone advise me do you need to root the phone first before you start installing directory blind.
Or you can install directory blind and then start using the software
I think Directory Bind requires root, but frankly I've never tried it without already being rooted. It certainly couldn't hurt to try it without being rooted - the worst that could happen is that it wouldn't work.
Please note that Directory Bind is less than intuitive to use - I'd like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable and it took me quite awhile to actually get it working. Here's a screenshot of a working mapping in case you have problems:

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek