Also will you be able to download and store the offline maps for a particular state or country on the removable SD card or does it have to go on the onboard storage?
    06-23-2012 12:07 PM
    Open maps. Go menu>settings>labs>enable offline cache

Not sure about 3d, not a feature that interests me personally
    06-23-2012 12:41 PM
    I am not talking about caching. I am talking about the new Maps and turn-by-turn navigation that Google announced last week that works without any data connection after you download it locally.
    06-23-2012 05:16 PM
    It has yet to be launched. Supposedly coming this summer. I assume it will be like other apps, once available on the market... err, Play Store, you can update any compatible device.
    06-23-2012 05:30 PM
    It has yet to be launched. Supposedly coming this summer. I assume it will be like other apps, once available on the market... err, Play Store, you can update any compatible device.
    /\/\ THIS/\/\ The current build is 6.8.1 which allows pre-cached map areas through labs. A true offline solution, which it sounds like what you're looking for, has been announced, but not yet released. Also, what you describe is exactly what pre-caching does. You select an area to download locally and then the phone can do turn by turn without GPS.

EDIT - Heres a walk through of pre-caching.
    06-23-2012 05:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD