SGS3 won't connect to my Mac... Help please!

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I've tried everything, but am unable to get my Mac to see my brand spanking new Galaxy S3. I can't get it to show in the finder, I can't get it to show in Kies, and several other methods have failed as well.

Not sure what to do next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can't get any music to the device.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
By the way... The other two methods were Easy Phone Sync (doesn't see the device) and iSyncr (which won't even run.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I get "No Android device found" with Android File Transfer.

I've tried turning off the phone, and turning it back on. The GS3 says it is connected as a Media Device, and charges fine....but my Mac just doesn't see it still.

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking for this all day. Is it safe to assume that there's no way to move apps to sd on the GS3?

Everything I read said that apps on sd card aren't possible. I been reading a lot lately just trying to get things running.
:)
Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

MaTiCeK

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
In order to make Androud Phone Transfer app work on my MBP13 I have to select PTP (photo transfer mode) on my international SGS3.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the tips. Here's the latest. Nothing seemed to work, so I did a re-install of Lion from the recovery partition. Not a clean install...just over the top of my existing data.

Result:

Kies actually recognized my device. Once. It was locked, and it told me to unlock. After that, I couldn't get it to connect. It recognizes something is there because it tries to connect for a very long time and seems to never finish "Connecting".

When I switch to PTP, Kies doesn't see it to even try and connect anymore...but OSX pops up a finder window to let me browse the phone and card. Yay! (Android File Transfer seems to be working after the refresh.)

I really wanted to Sync my iTunes library and playlists, rather than just dragging and dropping. so I tried iSyncr again (which I bought in the middle of all this). It doesn't recognize the device in PTP mode...but it does now in the MTP mode (once I killed Android File Transfer). Right now it's syncing my iTunes library to my 64GB MicroSD card...so I am miles ahead of where I was earlier!

Thanks again for all of the assistance. I remember when I first went to iPhone (from the HTC Incredible at the time) and I remember now that a huge part of the decision was based on how "plug and play easy" the experience was. Of course...outside of that...I just got bored with iOS...so here I am again. ; -)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
For those who haven't used it extensively, Android File Transfer is riddled with craziness. I suggest transferring stuff bit by bit--no big folders. It likes to freeze up at the most inconvenient times, usually when transferring a gig or more at once. I also have had better success with the USB port closest to my MBP's screen; why? Who knows. I just know to always plug into that one.

Further, for some reason, if USB debugging is "checked" in Developer Options some files refuse to show up in AFT upon reboot. I have to uncheck that then reboot for the full array to show up. Why? Again, I have no idea. I just know that the app is sort of...crappy.

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
"official" word from Samsung, regarding Kies, gs3, and osx:

"Thank you for your inquiry about your Samsung Galaxy S? III (AT&T)(SGH-I747) and we understand that the phone can't recognize on your Mac computer.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. Currently, the phone is not compatible to Samsung Kies software that is installed on a Mac computer. We will forward your feedback to the appropriate parties for further review and consideration."

Not a smart move if you're trying to get some of the iPhone market share with the S3, which is the one phone that has a shot at it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.

mmunsch

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I too was having this issue with an AT&T Galaxy SIII connecting to a MacBookPro. I downloaded Android File Transfer and everything, and it still wouldn't recognize the phone in MTP. However, after switching from MTP to PTP, AFT sees the phone right away and I can transfer files and photos. So not the easiest or most user friendly way to connect, but it's better than using Airdroid or a similar program to transfer. And on a side note, once connected it transfers files FAST, a big improvement over my retired Captive (original Galaxy S).

insert-logic-here

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I too was having this issue with an AT&T Galaxy SIII connecting to a MacBookPro. I downloaded Android File Transfer and everything, and it still wouldn't recognize the phone in MTP. However, after switching from MTP to PTP, AFT sees the phone right away and I can transfer files and photos. So not the easiest or most user friendly way to connect, but it's better than using Airdroid or a similar program to transfer. And on a side note, once connected it transfers files FAST, a big improvement over my retired Captive (original Galaxy S).

Thanks. I found the same to be true. My only real desire for Kies connectivity is for firmware updates, which supposedly is the only way to update. With Jelly Bean surely coming, I want to make sure I have things working. As far as music...Syncr worked great with AFT.

broopa

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I was having this problem to and noticed a fix somewhere that disabled kies over wifi. Since the command works i went ahesd and deleted kies over wifi from the program direcTory. On the version of kies that was available for download last Friday. The update that keeps coming through breaks this quick fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

android newbie_28

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
hi,

can you help me with my MAC usb connection? i cannot also access my galaxy s3 when i connect it to my white macbook..and by any chance you can tell me what is the meaning of i icon on the left topmost part of my screen?

Thanks.

peelersx

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I use Airdroid work very well with Mac. Also use Droid NAS for file transfer if you like to use the Mac Finder / file management etc..

hope that help