NFC and extra batteries... will they play nicely?

ibleedbloo

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
I understand that with the s3 the NFC chip is located in the battery. Will the cheap $3 batteries on ebay be compatible with NFC or will I have to pay extra for OEM batteries? Also, will I encounter any NFC related issues when swapping batteries?

Sent from my OG EVO using Android Central Forums

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
For the nexus you needed to find nfc batteries. They make them just not sure if for the s3 just yet

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

LtMoistLips

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe the S3 has the same battery as the VzW version of the GNex (2100mAh) which has integrated NFC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BEARD GANG

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there an "extended" battery with NFC that will fit under the back cover, or does anyone think there will be?

Yeh i also wanted to know this... there are a few fake ones on ebay... but im holding out for a official one

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site
I understand that with the s3 the NFC chip is located in the battery. Will the cheap $3 batteries on ebay be compatible with NFC or will I have to pay extra for OEM batteries? Also, will I encounter any NFC related issues when swapping batteries?

Sent from my OG EVO using Android Central Forums

I have yet to see a cheap nfc battery on ebay (that is actually real). Only oem batteries have the nfc chip installed, that I am aware of. I wish the S2 batteries had fit the S3, since I have several.

If anyone can confirm the GNex has the same battery, that would be very helpful.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure exactly how the wireless charging will work, but the back cover will be replaced with another cover that has a coil and contact points that will touch the contact points on/near the battery, so a non-standard battery might not work.

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What is the general consensus about getting the non-OEM batteries if you don't care about NFC?

I don't care about NFC, but I don't want the phone nagging me or getting funny because it doesn't have feedback from the NFC chip.

-Suntan

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure exactly how the wireless charging will work, but the back cover will be replaced with another cover that has a coil and contact points that will touch the contact points on/near the battery, so a non-standard battery might not work.

If the induction charging works the same as all the others, then it doesn't matter.

The induction coils provide the power to the phone, the phone charges the battery. The battery doesn't care if you use a USB plug, induction charger, or a fancy off-the-grid solar panel designed by Ed Bagley Jr. himself.

-Suntan

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
A good battery with the NFC antenna is going to cost about $20. Such as a RAVpower, Anker, Samsung, etc.
Thread might be old, but it can't hurt to repeat.

romiust

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I have used non oem batteries quite a bit. The cheaper you go, the more likely the battery will fail. You won't find nfc on really cheap batteries. I recommend second tier batteries like no lemon. Usually work as well if not better than my oem.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I've used generic, Anker, Hyperion and Zerolemon. Anker and Zerolemon were the best in my opinion and lasted the longest. The generic and Hyperion started to fade after a month or two of use. The Anker has NFC and works fine. I always buy extended batteries for my phones, I like the extra bulk and the peace of mind since I am a battery obsessed person like that. 😉

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante