Performance Version Of The S3 Available For Pickup In My Area

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Don't waste your time reading this thread if you are into the U.S. version of the S3..

This concerns only those intrested in the Performace Version of the S3 featuring the Exynos Quad-Core Processor.

Enjoy your U.S. version S3.

Now.. For those of you that want the MONSTER Version of the Galaxy S3 Great News! You can get it over the counter today *WITH* a U.S. honored Samsung warranty ! I have called Fry's electronics and spoke with a supervisor to verify the warranty info because I know for me at $799.00 I would want a factory warranty on my purchase.. and having a International S3 shipped in from somewhere other than a United States vendor and Samsung U.S.A. saying "Sorry can't touch it" should I get a lemon just did not sit well with me at all. The Qualcomm chip in the U.S. S3 just does not do it for me.. it's a good chip but not worth the $600.00 it would cost me. ( Won't do the Subsidy Plan Phones anymore ) But to know I can take a 30 minute drive this evening and have a Exynos Quad-Core Galaxy S3 Beast in my hands working with a Samsung U.S. factory warranty should it be needed is making me re-think waiting for the G-Note 2...

In the computer world there is nothing more stable than an Intel Chipset on a Intel Motherboard running an Intel Processor..

That's how I feel about the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Samsung's own 4412 Exynos Quad-Core Cpu is what the Samsung Galaxy S3 was designed to have not a Qualcomm Processor.. It's just sad that Korea will get the Galaxy S3 with the Exynos Quad-Core running 4G LTE AND 2 gigs of Ram on July 11th becase every country on planet earth should be getting that version of the phone.. they would have sold a Billion of them.

Anywhoo.. Those of you in reach of a Fry's store and want the Performance Version of the S3, its there for you... It's the next best thing to the Korean Galaxy S3! :)

QUADCORE.jpg

Chdwil

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Anywhoo my g3 is plenty fast for me. I am interested in LTE. I see no point in paying $250 more for a phone that is crippled with fake 4g and still pay the same data rate.

HSPA+, fake 4g, could also be called the 3G I always wanted but could never get till it was called 4g.

Reactions: bigdaddytee

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Depends on what you want a device for.

If you wanted a device that didn't support high speed data connections over 3/4g - simply for bragging rights (presumably you have a local support system that drives this sort of behavior), and are willing to spend $800 out of pocket....then this sure seems like a device for you. I'd ask, from a non-benchmarking perspective - where exactly you think this device will offer you performance (what category of use) - over the S4 alternative?

Is it gaming? As the USGS3 (as I'm going to call it from here on in) - is perfectly capable of running any application out there right now at more than acceptable (I'd even go as far as to say - exceedingly good levels of) performance, especially in contrast to the last generation of phone offered in the US.

I'm curious - what game you could play that you'd be able to tell, even a more hardy 3d game like NOVA 3, if you were playing the S4 or Exynos chips, at a pretty even 60fps...who the Exynos version be...more 60fps? I can demonstrate scenarios where the S4 version will bog down in the 20's - but I could show you those same scenarios on the International GS3 (IGS3) as well

Is it for app availability - because I think you might want to read on some of the basic app availability issues even USGS3 owners are having with developers not updating their applications to fit their device - let alone an international version in the US market. That could take a while.

I just want to know what possible rationale you'd have for spending an extra $200 outside of some bragging rights in some benchmarks (but not all of them)? Doesn't seem to be much reason to purchase an international version at this point...not in the States anyway...

Jack

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
This thread sucks. Plain and simple. Have fun talking to a couple people since i'm sure most here have the US version. Performance version? If specs are your thing. No quad core is needed for your texting, phone calls, mobile gaming, etc.

biff6789

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm saddened that so many people in these forums - self-proclaimed tech nerds, no less - can be so obtuse and uninformed...

Some facts:

1) 2 gigs of RAM trumps the 1 gig in the international version. Why? The latest versions of Android are brilliant in the way they cache programs and processes in memory. The Dalvik VM can access these apps/processes/threads faster with increased memory than it can by trying to delegate threads to the CPU cores (translation: with Android, more memory is faster than a faster CPU core) via the phone manufacturer's kernel.

2) Memory uses less power than CPU cores do. Also, the Snapdragon S4 in the US version is manufactured with the smaller 28 nm process. This means that the S4 uses less power, and (as shown by the famous "butter melting test" video from Qualcomm) produces less heat. In terms of performance, heat, and power efficiency, a dual-core proc with 2 gigs of RAM will beat a quad-core proc with only 1 gig of RAM in the S3.

3) The Snapdragon S4 beat the quad-core Exynos in single-threading I/O in benchmarks - the type of process the phone is doing almost all of the time.

4) The Snapdragon S4 has WiFI, Bluetooth, and LTE all on the same chip. This reduces bottlenecks, reduces power consumption, and improves respective I/O.

5) Very few apps on the Android market can even efficiently utilize 4 cores; most apps are written for dual-core chips.

You want a quad-core processor because you think it's faster, but there is not much out there right now that can even use it. Sorta like having a Ferrari in the year 1850. Sure, it's supposedly faster than a horse and buggy. But without a Chevron on the corner selling fossil fuels during that period, it's kinda useless, isn't it?

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm saddened that so many people in these forums - self-proclaimed tech nerds, no less - can be so obtuse and uninformed...

Some facts:

1) 2 gigs of RAM trumps the 1 gig in the international version. Why? The latest versions of Android are brilliant in the way they cache programs and processes in memory. The Dalvik VM can access these apps/processes/threads faster with increased memory than it can by trying to delegate threads to the CPU cores (translation: with Android, more memory is faster than a faster CPU core) via the phone manufacturer's kernel.

2) Memory uses less power than CPU cores do. Also, the Snapdragon S4 in the US version is manufactured with the smaller 28 nm process. This means that the S4 uses less power, and (as shown by the famous "butter melting test" video from Qualcomm) produces less heat. In terms of performance, heat, and power efficiency, a dual-core proc with 2 gigs of RAM will beat a quad-core proc with only 1 gig of RAM in the S3.

3) The Snapdragon S4 beat the quad-core Exynos in single-threading I/O in benchmarks - the type of process the phone is doing almost all of the time.

4) The Snapdragon S4 has WiFI, Bluetooth, and LTE all on the same chip. This reduces bottlenecks, reduces power consumption, and improves respective I/O.

5) Very few apps on the Android market can even efficiently utilize 4 cores; most apps are written for dual-core chips.

You want a quad-core processor because you think it's faster, but there is not much out there right now that can even use it. Sorta like having a Ferrari in the year 1850. Sure, it's supposedly faster than a horse and buggy. But without a Chevron on the corner selling fossil fuels during that period, it's kinda useless, isn't it?
This video comparison can close this thread lol. Virtually NO DIFFERENCE!

Quad-Core Galaxy S III vs Dual-Core Galaxy S III - YouTube

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Well this thread was a waste of time. I can not comprehend why someone would purchase a phone that doesn't work on LTE AND pay more for it... Sheesh!

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site

Some facts:

Couldn't have said it any better myself. "Self proclaimed tech nerds" indeed. Because the only "tech" they seem to know is "4 is better than 2 for cores, no matter how much memory you have, whether or not the OS and apps are written for quad core or not, no matter how much more of a battery hog the quad is, AND no matter how slow the North American data speeds are on these international phones. "Performance Version" indeed! Yuk Yuk! Reminds me of that P.T. Barnum saying - there's a sucker born every minute! :D

nkd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
LOL, if it is in your head than no one can fix it. Make yourself happy and waste your 800 dollars, I have the one X and waiting to get the GS3, the S4 flies I mean it is a beast and it puts my older dual core phones to shame.

It is truly reminds me of an i3 dual core chips that keeps up with amd quad core chips. I will take a 28nm chip that has everything on board anyday. The S4 is a milestone chip and no other dual core can even touch it.

Performance Version? Keep thinking that the s4 is slower because when I hit my app button I really can't think of a scenario where it would launch faster or how much faster it can launch without any lag with a quad core. S4 is blazing fast and it has eliminated any lag I had in the past launching app drawer or launching apps, everything launches almost instantly. I would rather take another gig of ram than a quad core processor that I will never see a difference with.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you want a device for.

If you wanted a device that didn't support high speed data connections over 3/4g - simply for bragging rights (presumably you have a local support system that drives this sort of behavior), and are willing to spend $800 out of pocket....then this sure seems like a device for you. I'd ask, from a non-benchmarking perspective - where exactly you think this device will offer you performance (what category of use) - over the S4 alternative?

Is it gaming? As the USGS3 (as I'm going to call it from here on in) - is perfectly capable of running any application out there right now at more than acceptable (I'd even go as far as to say - exceedingly good levels of) performance, especially in contrast to the last generation of phone offered in the US.

I'm curious - what game you could play that you'd be able to tell, even a more hardy 3d game like NOVA 3, if you were playing the S4 or Exynos chips, at a pretty even 60fps...who the Exynos version be...more 60fps? I can demonstrate scenarios where the S4 version will bog down in the 20's - but I could show you those same scenarios on the International GS3 (IGS3) as well

Is it for app availability - because I think you might want to read on some of the basic app availability issues even USGS3 owners are having with developers not updating their applications to fit their device - let alone an international version in the US market. That could take a while.

I just want to know what possible rationale you'd have for spending an extra $200 outside of some bragging rights in some benchmarks (but not all of them)? Doesn't seem to be much reason to purchase an international version at this point...not in the States anyway...

Jack

Hello Jack.. I want to address your comments.

Jack I am going to use a little analogy to better explain my rationale..

In 2005 I spent $25,000 on a Toyota Camry. It was loaded with every option but one.. you see.. I cut a corner, and took a model with a 4 cylinder in it instead of the V-6.. saved myself $2,500.00 by doing so..

I still regret it to this day. :)

Yes the 2005 ran trouble free for the 2yrs I owned it, but I always felt I sold myself short.. so I traded it in and got a 2007 Camry SE loaded with every option AND with that V-6.. I was and still am 100% satisfied.

The money for me, is not the issue.. 100% satisfaction in my purchase is "the" issue..
You see Jack, My current 4G Droid Charge is rooted running Nitro33's Eclispe Rom ( Excellent Speed ) and I have Unlimited Data with Verizon.. ( Been with them since 1992..) I can play any game except the Tegra3 enhanced games of course, just fine with my current phone and the SuperAmoled+ Screen on the Chage is still one of the top 5 screens out there.. So there is no rush for me ( and I am granfathered in with Verizon unlimited data ). I could just wait a few weeks pay the $650.00 out the door price for a 16gig Verizon version S3 keep my Unlimited Data and be on my way with 4G LTE. and the ability to use it as much as I want day & night without data caps or overage payments....

A lot of folks would love to be in my position.

But I am home 90% of the time on Wi-Fi.. I am a Middle Aged Man.. Not a kid sitting in a circle of kids comparing phones.. or streaming Netflix, Pandora etc out in the streets all the time.. ( I have to admitt I do love Flipboard while waiting for appointments ) so I could give up unlimited and not really sweat it..
But, I would sweat having spent $600.00 on a phone I don't really love 100% when I can drop 2 more bills on the table get the Quad-Core and be 100% satisfied.

If it's the S3, it's the Quad-Core for ME. It's what the phone was designed to run.. Its Exynos.. It's an overclocked Mali-400.. Nuff Said.

But with the G-Note 2 dropping in 130 days.. ( Maybe with the Exynos 5250 / T-604 ) and what about the Galaxy Nexus Act 2 ? coming in November? Decisions Decisions.. My plan was and may still be to wait til Black Friday / Cyber Monday anyway because as stated I am already sitting pretty with my current setup

I have seen too many folks comment that really wanted the Quad-Core S3 and were dissapointed it did not hit the shores with a carrier.. and that the warranty would not be honored in america if you imported the international.. So I wanted to get the word out that you have options.. and you can get the factory warranty just like the carrier verisons.

But most inportantly that if your money is right you can have the phone TODAY if that is what you choose to do.

And finally Jack..I would like to ask you a question..

If the 28nm A-15 based Qualcomm S4 is such a badass chip.. Why is Qualcomm prepping the MSM8064 QUAD-CORE Chip for fall release?? Hmm????

They know where the future is heading sir.. :)

DallasFlier

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
But I am home 90% of the time on Wi-Fi.. I am a Middle Aged Man..

( I have to admitt I do love Flipboard while waiting for appointments ) so I could give up unlimited and not really sweat it..

One thing trolls often don't do is proofread their posts for consistency of all the crap they're throwing against the wall. He spends 90% of his time at home on Wi-Fi, but he loves Flipboard while waiting for appointments. I guess that must be appointments with the mailman, the meter reader, etc. :)

Chdwil

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hello Jack.. I want to address your comments.

If the 28nm A-15 based Qualcomm S4 is such a badass chip.. Why is Qualcomm prepping the MSM8064 QUAD-CORE Chip for fall release?? Hmm????

They know where the future is heading sir.. :)

Exactly! Why on earth would any company in the tech field want to develop a newer, better product. We are right, you are wrong, if you dont like it get out of the International forum and get back to the At&t forum.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things...

1. Your car analogy is...dumb, and not consistent with your reasons for importing a phone. In that analogy, you'd be importing a car for 51% more money that you couldn't buy gas for in the states and no mechanics would help you work on it.

2. Good luck getting Verizon to activate your phone...I'm not saying it can't be done...but most cell phone companies employe script monkeys...have fun ice skating up hill

3. Yeah its actually a dual core A15 being prepped for a fall launch...because I can do basic math...I can tell you that the dual core a15 will wipe the floor with everything out today including Intel option...which clock for clock has the highest theoretical performance potential.

4. Next time you'd like to flush some money down the toilet...send it to charity...maybe some good will come of it.

5. So you sit at home on wifi all day... Why bother activating it on Verizon at all then...

Sent from my Evo LTE using 3g...because Sprint needs to get their collective asses in gear

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I cant stop laughing at the term performance version. If you really wanted the "best" version you'd could move to Korea to enjoy quadcore and two gigs of memory but that sounds a bit excessive.

ReggieTee

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I cant stop laughing at the term performance version. If you really wanted the "best" version you'd could move to Korea to enjoy quadcore and two gigs of memory but that sounds a bit excessive.

Right. Also the failure to address the youtube video posted above that compares the two. They are basically the same, save one or two seconds.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Just amazing.
So many.. So... Defensive.. over your $200.00 subsidy phones..

I HATE the S4 Crapdragon Processor in the S3.

That's MY opinion of it.

I LOVE the Exynos Quad-Core Processor in the International Version of the S3

That.. is MY opinion of it.

I think the World got short changed by Samsung NOT giving us the Quad-Core/LTE/2gig version of the S3 that Korea is getting on July 11th.. They could have tuned their LTE radios to work with USA's LTE.. Or use their technology to add a radio that does work here..

Those are MY opinions.. If you don't agree with them TOUGH! Nobody asked you to.

Did you read the 1st few lines of this thread ?

"DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME READING THIS THREAD IF YOU ARE INTO THE U.S. VERSION OF THE S3. YOU CAN STOP READING THIS THREAD ***NOW***"

What part of that did you $200.00 subsidized phone trolls not understand?

THIS THREAD ONLY CONCERNS THOSE *****INTRESTED IN THE PERFORMANCE VERSION OF THE S3 FEATURING THE EXYNOS QUAD-CORE PROCESSOR*****

But yet, you $200.00 subsidized phone trolls "kept" reading.. why?

*****ENJOY***** YOUR U.S. S3

$200.00 phone trolls? did I "bash" your Qualcomm S3? or did I wish you ENJOYMENT with your new S3?

But yet..YOU KEPT READING THIS THREAD! why?

And worse yet, YOU HAD TO TAKE THE TIME TO COMMENT!!! why?

Are you.....angry? because your toy is being delayed? are you angry becuase you know the Quad-Core is the sheet in this phone? Are you.. angry becuase MY OPINION differs from yours?

Check yourself.. what's your problem?? why would you go out of the way to READ & COMMENT on a S3 thread that had nothing to do with YOUR purchase or intrest in the USA/CANADA version?

We don't all like the same things.

And I am sorry that it troubles you so much that you have already developed a complex about your Qualcomm Processor & Adreno 225 GPU simply not measuring up to Samsung's Own Exynos Quad-Core & Mali-400 GPU.. So much so that you come here and ATTACK ME with harsh words..

I was open in what my thread was about in the first few sentences.

I provided documentation verifing my statement for those that WERE INTRESTED IN THE PERFORMANCE VERSION S3..

Really what has driven you to such insecurities about your Qualcomm unit purchase only days after ordering / receiving it to attack others that feel both the Korean version and the International version of the S3 are better?

Are you now having second thoughts?

ENJOY YOUR Qualcomm S3 :)

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I know plenty of people who are buying the international version of the GS3 (not the Korean one) to use on a prepaid plan like TMobile's $30 one. There's nothing wrong with that, and its cheaper as well.

If OP wants to buy that phone and use it with prepaid, then why not? I will be getting the Verizon GS3, but I can see his point - the gpu in the S4 is very much behind the times, just like the one in the Nexus was. Remember we'll keep the phone for 2 years, and it won't matter to most people since we don't play games, but its true.

Also going to play a bit of devil's advocate here - for all the talk about the S4 being an integrated SoC and 28mm, the battery life is no better than the Exynos, which is a generation behind (Cortex A9) and 32mm. It just goes to show how well tuned the phone is for Exynos, which is no surprise. In fact I'm willing to bet the power management code in the phone is specifically tuned for Exynos.

And I'd lay the blame on both US carriers and Samsung. It was hard enough to convince them not to destroy the brand with their own versions. It would have been great if Samsung had launched the same phone (quad core Exynos with LTE + 2GB) worldwide, but I'm sure it just wasn't ready in time and they couldn't reach deals with everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome