06-26-2012 09:58 PM
26 12
tools
    FWIW Suntan, I knew exactly what you were getting at. And you didn't sound condescending to me, just like an audiophile with an opinion. Me, I'm an audiophile with not enough money to pursue my preferences.
    Please don't confuse me for an audiophile. At least not when it comes to my mobile gadgets.

90% of my headphone listening is done with BT headphones. Either while at work or on a treadmill. When I'm on an airplane I use my shures because they provide excellent ambient noise attenuation. Although if I could use BT on the airplane, I'd probably use my BT earbuds then too.

But in any case, just like everyone is pinning their hopes on the S4 chips onboard LTE to make the GSIII a reception monster, everyone is pinning the expectations of this one wolfson DAC to make the international version an audio marvel.

And just as there is a lot more to analog reception than just the baseband on the SOC, there's a lot more than just the DAC that goes into good audio quality. Namely, the onboard op amps, power filtering and noise shielding. There's a lot of tightly packed bits inside a phone. 4 or 5 different antennas all radiating signals not to mention multiple power conditioners for the SOC and display, etc. All that adds up to a lot of potential for noise. Noise that the DAC has no control over, even if it was a Wolfson, Burr-Brown, or any other name brand chip.

-Suntan
    06-26-2012 09:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD