06-11-2015 12:21 PM
86 1234
tools
    I think I'm going to return my AT&T SGS3 and get the international one instead. Apparently the international one has a good high-end DAC while the N.A. variants have a crappy low end one. This may be the problem with the poor audio quality.
    Supposedly the Qualcomm DAC is actually really good, almost on par with the Wolfson that the international version sports. I suspect our phones are just plain defective.

I exchanged mine and the new one had the same problem.

I went back the next day and checked their display model which they had just put out and it also had the problem.

So that's 3 phones that all have this issue. Like I said in the title of this post, I suspect this is a hardware design fault that can't be fixed in software. Clearly not every phone has this problem but obviously a lot do if every phone that I've tried has it. I'm wondering if they will have to do a recall over this...
    I really hope they do a recall so I can get a properly working S III :P However, I fear not enough people will notice this problem for it to happen. In the meantime I'll just have to listen to my music on my iPod instead of my brand new $700 phone...
    07-10-2012 10:15 PM
    Getting the crackling noise here too. Whenever I play any kind of music it crackles and pops. Notice it especially from my amazon cloud app.
    07-11-2012 11:39 AM
    Today I went to another AT&T store and a Verizon store. I tested 4 more phones and they all had this problem.

I also tested an HTC One X and it had a very small amount of noise but nowhere near as much as the S3.

It does sound like it's picking up RF interference. I might try wrapping my phone in aluminum foil to see if it helps, hah.

It's a great phone so I'm just going to buy one of these and be done with it: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC...cUvbUpU1959223

Then I can turn up my volume to increase the signal to noise ratio but turn down the volume on the headphones for listening to at night.
    07-13-2012 10:54 AM
    Lurking again, but wanted to tell you guys that after my EVO LTE OTA update, I have yet to hear the crackling and popping noises that where once present. I waited at least a couple days to make sure it wasn't just a fluke. Looks and sounds lime it maybe was a software issue. Hopefully the GS III will get updated as well. Huge difference, sounds great now.

Sent from my EVO One using mind beam.
    07-13-2012 06:42 PM
    I got the same problem when I'm playing mp3's from my extsd card, Google Cloud Player & Amazon MP3 player. The static crackles are more prevalent on soft music. I decided that I can't live with it and called VZW Tech support. He tried to troubleshoot the problem by soft reset to no avail. He told me to go to the nearest VZW store to have it replaced (which I did). I am now a very happy music listener through my S3.
    07-13-2012 11:46 PM
    Mine sounded funky the first time I played music in my car... Then I discovered that I didn't push the plug in all the way. You really gotta push that sucker in till it clicks, then it grips that thing like a mother...
    07-14-2012 01:36 AM
    I got the same problem when I'm playing mp3's from my extsd card, Google Cloud Player & Amazon MP3 player. The static crackles are more prevalent on soft music. I decided that I can't live with it and called VZW Tech support. He tried to troubleshoot the problem by soft reset to no avail. He told me to go to the nearest VZW store to have it replaced (which I did). I am now a very happy music listener through my S3.
    So is yours audio perfect now? Here is my test. At a very quiet place, you turn on classical music at volume one and listen with stock Barbuds. Could u tell me if u hear anything? Im trying to see if mine is worth replacing.
    07-15-2012 01:37 AM
    For me the noise is coming only when the phone is locked. As soon as i unlock it, the noise is gone. I tried by going through the same track again locking and unlocking but the problem persists. Dont understand what is wrong.
    07-21-2012 01:30 AM
    Just tested on my ATT unit:

The external speaker makes the static noise on low volume.
    My prefered headphones also make it very clear that there is interference somewhere.

What is weird is that the included samsung headphones do not make the static noise.

Any theories? Have people who hear the noise tried with the samsung headphones? That may be what divides us into those who hear and those who don't. I also tried full sized TMA-1 headphones and you can't hear it with those.
    07-21-2012 01:57 PM
    I have the same crackling noise here too, and it happens whenever I play any game that uses too much of the processor... here in Brazil we have the S3 with quad core, I know it's different from yours, but this strange sound crackling behavior
    07-21-2012 05:24 PM
    Try to turn off the automatic vibration and test the sound again. For me this crackling sound happens whenever I start to play any high end game that uses too much of my s3 processor... but turning off the vibration stopped this strange sound behavior. I live in Brazil and we have quadcore but the problem seems to be the same... I hope this helps.
    07-21-2012 05:27 PM
    kleber, you mean the haptic feedback? Mine makes the sound with it disabled.

furthermore, just got back from testing at two different sites with the headphones I mentioned were indeed producing the hiss.

At the t-mobile store, the phone exhibited the same static/interference sound. At costco both the att and t-mobile galaxy exhibit the same problem. So given I cannot locate one unit that does not produce the static, it does seem odd that some people claim no problem at all.

Though, I still think whats most interesting is that with my TMA-1 and included sammie headphones, there is no noise but with good quality IEMs there is. Leading me to this conclusion: the static is present depending on the impedance of the speaker used to test. If this is true than the external physical phone speaker and my ultimate ears do not block out the sound but my actual cans and included headphones do for whatever reason.
    07-21-2012 05:36 PM
    I have the same crackling noise here too, and it happens whenever I play any game that uses too much of the processor... here in Brazil we have the S3 with quad core, I know it's different from yours, but this strange sound crackling behavior
    07-21-2012 06:12 PM
    I'm big into Bluetooth audio streaming in my car. Tune In app,your muse, etc and the cracking, popping noise makes this unusable. I experience this strictly with BT steaming. If I listen to the same apps with the Pair of headphones that came with the phone, no issues. You call a Sprint CSR and all they wish to do is a factory reset. I'm getting pushback from Sprint because I'm on my second Galaxy S3. They also say this is the first time anyone has called them about this so very frustrating. I didn't have these issues with the first phone, so clearly random. 1st experience into the Android world and thinking it's a sign I should go back to the clunky old blackberry...LOL

Anyone found any work around as of yet?
    07-22-2012 07:25 AM
    dh, I feel you, dude. I am huge into using my phone as my main music player while I study or do anything pretty much and I can't imagine having to deal with static on a regular basis. This wednesday, my girlfriends oneX gets to my house; if the audio is bliss I may switch over even tho I love the galaxy hardware.
    07-22-2012 03:20 PM
    I too have this same problem. I have found it seems to be dependent on headphones though. I am getting this issue with AUX headphone cord I have plugged into my car (which works absolutely fine with 3 other phones and a couple of MP3 players). However I tried the "Tom Clancy" test with 3 other headphones on my S3 and don't have the problem. I also have noticed the other headphone plugs seem to seat just a bit firmer when pluged in to the phone but all look the same when I held them next to each other. The cord/plug in my car also is not the cheapest one I could find either, it is acutally made heavier than most I would say, where as some of the headphones I tested with were cheap and some were more expensive and did not have the issue.

FYI- I called the number abover (thanks for posting) and they were very nice, but no help. I asked the operator if she had ever heard of this issue being reports and she said she had not personally. She wanted to do a facotry reset, but I did not since I knew it would not help.
    07-24-2012 10:27 AM
    I think I'm going to return my AT&T SGS3 and get the international one instead. Apparently the international one has a good high-end DAC while the N.A. variants have a crappy low end one. This may be the problem with the poor audio quality.
    Ok, I'm in AUS so I have the international version and I'm having a bit of a hissy problem as well... it's not too bad but still, any quiet room and on minimum volume it hisses...

Also, because it's illegal in some countries to be able to take a photo silently this thing always clicks. Only way together rid of it is to root it...
    07-24-2012 07:45 PM
    Having the same issue with stock headphones.
    Any solution as of yet?
    07-25-2012 01:47 AM
    Today I went to another AT&T store and a Verizon store. I tested 4 more phones and they all had this problem.

I also tested an HTC One X and it had a very small amount of noise but nowhere near as much as the S3.

It does sound like it's picking up RF interference. I might try wrapping my phone in aluminum foil to see if it helps, hah.

It's a great phone so I'm just going to buy one of these and be done with it: http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC...cUvbUpU2013801

Then I can turn up my volume to increase the signal to noise ratio but turn down the volume on the headphones for listening to at night.
    It's a damn shame that you had to resort to such a tacky solution, considering that this is supposed to be a flagship product. I will contact Samsung and see what they can do, but it seems like I'll still have to buy one of these in the end as well :/
    07-26-2012 08:53 PM
    I only get the audio hiss in one situation. Phone is plugged into the aux port on my car radio and plugged in to my car charger.

I only get the hiss if there is nothing actually playing, i.e. in between two songs, or during navigation when there in no voice talking. When music is playing, there is no audio hiss, even at very low volume.

If I unplug from the car charger the hiss goes away. It also happens using a different car charger.
    07-26-2012 10:50 PM
    I only get the audio hiss in one situation. Phone is plugged into the aux port on my car radio and plugged in to my car charger.

I only get the hiss if there is nothing actually playing, i.e. in between two songs, or during navigation when there in no voice talking. When music is playing, there is no audio hiss, even at very low volume.

If I unplug from the car charger the hiss goes away. It also happens using a different car charger.
    Exact same thing happens to me. Have you tried multiple chargers to see if there is any difference?
    07-26-2012 10:54 PM
    Exact same thing happens to me. Have you tried multiple chargers to see if there is any difference?
    Ken,

I have tried multiple chargers, and I still get the same problem. I'm thankful my problem is so small compared to others' issues, even if it is annoying.
    07-26-2012 11:47 PM

The problem that I'm having is that I've switched to the iBolt car dock in order to be able to use Pandora and still have access to voice search (aux connection to car stereo disables mic). Both sound and power come from the microusb via a y cable provided with the iBolt. With the iBolt the static that is coming while playing Pandora is not resolved by pulling the charging component of the y cable from the car charging port.

Hope that someone can find a solution.
    08-25-2012 12:12 PM
    I'm getting a loud cracking noise from my S3 through my Plantronics BT headphone but only over voice. I've replaced the headphone with no improvement and then spoke with Verizon. They report that it is a known firmware issue with some S3 phones and that there is no resolution yet but Samsung is supposed to be working on something. They offered to replace the month old phone with a refurb but they don't expect it to be any better.
    08-28-2012 07:22 PM
    I had it through the loud speaker on low levels, but no issues with the headphone's plugged in.(tested with the tom clancy and monster copper turbine pros).
    08-28-2012 09:30 PM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD