Just wanted to put a feeler out there for those who are for or against or maybe even unconcerned with the conditioning of the battery once we (who are not yet fortunate enough) get the device in our hands. Of course, it's always hard not to play with it right away, and check everything out. That being said, I've read countless pieces of advice on the internet that suggest conditioning any Li-ion based device's battery before use. Generally what I have read is that you first charge the device for several hours (overnight is best), then use it until it's all the way dead. Charge back up again, and if you feel like repeating an additional time or 2, it is all the better (the memory cells function best when you condition it using this method for the first few charges from what I read). This worked extremely well for me as an original Evo 4G user. I have actually purchased 2 different extended-life batteries, and conditioned them both before use using the method above. It served me well.

Thoughts?
    06-27-2012 12:53 PM
    I was gonna start this thread as we got closer to getting the device .
    06-27-2012 01:16 PM
    06-27-2012 01:28 PM
    This one was inside that page, talks specifically about calibration of a Li-ion battery: Battery Calibration – Battery University

Seems legit.
    LazrRocketArm likes this.
    06-27-2012 01:38 PM
    :meh: I'm just gonna charge and go, like I did with my Droid X battery which has lasted almost two years of use without much change.
    06-27-2012 04:24 PM
    So do u charge all the way at first or plug and play ?
    06-27-2012 04:53 PM
    Batteryuniversity.com is an excellent resource:

There are really two questions rolled into one here...
    1) Li-ion are generally shipped by manufacturers at 70% +/- charge - as this is deemed to be best for long term storage.

Once put into use - li-ion perform better and last longer if topped up regularly and as needed rather than fully discharged...
    unlike NiCD/NiMH, li-ion does not develop memory over time - while regularly fully discharging li-ion shortens it's life.

2) Calibration can be done periodically (every few months) by fully discharging the battery - for the benefit of the phone battery level gauge.
    This is NOT done for the health of the battery - it's so the phone more accurately displays the remaining charge/capacity of the battery.

So it boils down to choice of - longer cell life, or more accurate battery level gauge?

cheers
    06-27-2012 05:41 PM
    Batteryuniversity.com is an excellent resource:

There are really two questions rolled into one here...
    1) Li-ion are generally shipped by manufacturers at 70% +/- charge - as this is deemed to be best for long term storage.

Once put into use - li-ion perform better and last longer if topped up regularly and as needed rather than fully discharged...
    unlike NiCD/NiMH, li-ion does not develop memory over time - while regularly fully discharging li-ion shortens it's life.

2) Calibration can be done periodically (every few months) by fully discharging the battery - for the benefit of the phone battery level gauge.
    This is NOT done for the health of the battery - it's so the phone more accurately displays the remaining charge/capacity of the battery.

So it boils down to choice of - longer cell life, or more accurate battery level gauge?

cheers

Just kidding .... Thanks for the great reply
    06-27-2012 06:02 PM
    Calibration can be done periodically (every few months) by fully discharging the battery - for the benefit of the phone battery level gauge.
    That part makes perfect sense, considering the first...70% of my battery life right now goes ZOOOOOOM. Then the next 20%-30% take considerably longer to go.
    06-27-2012 06:07 PM
    I put the new device on charge/r the moment I pull it out of the box...
    and then play with it WHILE it's topping up-charging.

Just kidding .... Thanks for the great reply
    06-27-2012 06:09 PM
    I used to do this... but it gets long i just buy a few spares

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    06-27-2012 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD