1.9mp front facing camera, 720p video!?

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a question to satisfy my curiosity. The s3 has a 1.9mp front facing camera but i'm in shock reading that it's 720p video recording, how can you get 720p from a 1.9 mp camera!? thanks! :)

acsef

May 20, 2012
Visit site
1.9 megapixels = 1,900,000 pixels

720p = 720 x 1280 = 921,600 pixels

If that's what you're asking. If you're asking something entirely different and I misread that, then this is a little awkward. :p

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't totally get it lol. I was just saying i thought you had to have a camera with at least 5mp to shoot 720p video, didn't know 1.9mp could do the trick.

Last edited:

Suntan

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't totally get it lol. I was just saying i thought you had to have a camera with at least 5mp to shoot 720p video, didn't know 1.9mp could do the trick.

What are they teaching in math and science class these days.... :'(

-Suntan

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps instead of sarcastically adding nothing to the thread with that post, you could enlighten the OP with the answer he/she is seeking.....

I think his point was due to what she said, "I don't totally get it lol". Acsef explained it so simply you really can't get much easier than that, and she still doesn't get it.

If there's still any wondering all I can say to the OP is stop thinking of megapixels if you can't get the correlation to resolution. Let's just say a 1.9MP camera closer is to 1080p video than it is to 720. It's not 1080, but it's close. Higher megapixels are for higher print quality primarily. If you only view pictures on your big screen 1080p TV you don't really need or benefit much from 8MP cameras. If you are printing however and want the clearest sharpest prints, or would like to blow a picture up to poster size, then it is beneficial to have those extra megapixels.

Rev.

PamelaBB

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
What are they teaching in math and science class these days.... :'(

-Suntan

hi, you see, i couldn't shoot 720p video with my LG EnV or my fathers old samsung flip phone which were both 2.0mp so that's why i was confused that 720p which is high quality could be taken with such a low mp camera, other people i spoke with were surprised as well, not because we're bad in math or anything else, however manners aren't your strong suit if we're on the subject.

For the other posters, thank you for trying to explain to me, didn't mean for the thread to get out of hand O:)

Soon2B

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I believe it has to do with internals and drivers running the camera. So an old flip phone even though it has a 2.0mp camera it most likely will not have what the Samsung Galaxy S3 has inside running the camera and software for it itself.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I believe it has to do with internals and drivers running the camera. So an old flip phone even though it has a 2.0mp camera it most likely will not have what the Samsung Galaxy S3 has inside running the camera and software for it itself.

That's exactly the reason why. A photo is one picture whereas a video is 30 per second, takes a lot more processing power.

Rev.