Samsung Galaxy S3 - Does your gs3 get warm quickly?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Compared to my vs2w,fhjs phone gets warm rather quickly, not super hot but warm enough to notice. Even just doing a few simple things like Facebook, texting, browsing the forums noticeably warm it up, especially the lower portion of the phone where the home button is. When I check in task manager, there aren't any apps using a high amount of CPU time and I also don't see the battery usage fall of a cliff. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Does your gs3 get warm quickly?

Compared to my vs2w,fhjs phone gets warm rather quickly, not super hot but warm enough to notice. Even just doing a few simple things like Facebook, texting, browsing the forums noticeably warm it up, especially the lower portion of the phone where the home button is. When I check in task manager, there aren't any apps using a high amount of CPU time and I also don't see the battery usage fall of a cliff. Just wondering if anyone else noticed this.
Yes but I actually had the Evo LTE before this and the Evo was worse. The Evo would vent around the camera but was hotter. These thin phones get a little warm.

starsofthelid

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site

I've noticed it a few times, but I think it stays pretty cool considering the thickness of the device.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

I just noticed that while making phone calls, it stays remarkably cool.

On a side note, do you guys have "force gpu rendering" enabled?

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

gps activity and compensations for poor data coverage could make the phone warm

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site

Mine definitely ran warm... And I also noticed that Android OS was the bulk of the battery. I ended up rooting, and am using SETCPU. It runs much cooler now, and Android OS is a lot farther down the battery usage list.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Mine gets hot also. Coming from a Palm Pre though I''ve gotten used to it. Lol

hansgroter

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

Yes mine does when I use it for long periods of time
Sig.jpg

FARCrow

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site

Same issue here (International version), GPS and Data turned off, browsing the Internet using any browser (built-in or Chrome) or pretty much any Internet application will make the device really hot on the lower back and the front around the home button. Within a minute of stopping Internet activity it becomes cool again. I'm starting to worry if there's something wrong with my device due to this high amount of heat and extremely short battery life even after having it for almost a week now.

pdrozdek

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site

I have the SGH-i747 with heat and short battery life. Taking the phone to AT&T for exchange. I really like the phone, so I hope the phone will run cooler and longer.

irkenmodelgir

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

Mine does get hot as well. But trying to exchange it probably won't help it.

I have also noticed that while doing anything that uses 4G, internet, wifi, or streaming music will increase the heat of the phone regardless of "venting".

While streaming music in my car with the windows down in summer My G3 120f but still ran fine. This was due to the data usage and charging at the same time. I have also streame music, charged, and used gps w/ Navagation and seen no change in the heat to the prior test.

My older Droid X near the end of the contract started heating up to 118f using the same set up, but was unable to charge past when i plugged it in. I found that by turning the screen off (lock key) it allowed the device to not only charge but cool down.

So I would say that the heating up is just due to screen + data usage + charging so heat is a givin.

Also for the battery life, anything involving data seems to sap the hell out of the battery. also the area your in that effects your radio as well. In my Doctors office i get no signal and i can watch the battery drop 1% a min while it is sitting in my pocket. I end up putting it in airplane mode and the battery won't drain.

Again my droid X was the same way and while at work i would just turn data off (because it was spoty at best bouncing from 3g to 1x to nothing and around) and my battery went from lasting me 6 hours to lasting me 3 days with no data turned on.

My conclusion is that the Radio they used in the devices is what's chewing all the power. But we wanted 4G =3.

Hope some of this might help.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

downloading a torrent while plugged into charger and using browser the hottest mine gets is 45?c
ive had androids get a LOT hotter and be fine :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

mssca

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

Yes, it gets very hot on Telus LTE browsing the net or when using an app that has a network connection.

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

The max my phone has ever gotten is 113 degrees

hope thats not ?c brer ;)

just used "Calculations" app (top tip for a calculator app) and 113 farenheit is exactly 45?c so we're consistant mate :)

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

hope thats not ?c brer ;)

just used "Calculations" app (top tip for a calculator app) and 113 farenheit is exactly 45?c so we're consistant mate :)

Yea, i wonder how hot the battery must be for the phone to automatically shutdown

I used to use physical buttons, and then I found button savior
-S. T. C

Sent from my rooted, debloated CM10 jelly bean 4.1.2 Samsung Galaxy S3 #LikeABo$$

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site

dunno man. my old zte blade heavily overclocked used to hit 55?c (really hot to the touch, ill let u work it out in ?F lol) and was completely stable..

just converted it lol 131F

Bo Norris

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site

My gs3 is rooted and way over clocked I'm new to rooting and don't know what is a good CPU setting and gov setting I'm on the cm10 jb ROM but my batt drains. I'm getting about seven hrs on a batt. it lasted longer on stock.

hossman12

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site

My GS3 gets decently warm. Extremely thin phone, dual-core processor, 2GB RAM, constantly multitasking... recipe for higher temperatures. The thinness of the s3 has always been the most impressive feature in my eyes because of what its able to do, and seems to be able to do reliably and amazingly well, without a huge cooling fan.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX