Turning camera shutter sound off

S SPERRY

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded a different camera app and silenced it through the other camera app. Camera ICS is what I used.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread, everyone should be ready to accept the fact that MUTE on a Sprint GS3 will *NOT* silence the camera shutter sound. PLEASE, can we get past such useless nonsense and find a solution? DAWG. If muting the phone solved the problem, most of this thread would not be here.

Root. Rename file. Gg

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

Cory Daehn

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
There is a setting in the build file or somewhere in the CSC, I forget, that forces the shutter sound on. There's a law in Japan that requires the shutter sound to be at maximum volume and to be a recognizable sound... Thankfully you can muck about and find the correct setting. I'll look for it and post an update... but you have to be rooted to fix it.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
There is a setting in the build file or somewhere in the CSC, I forget, that forces the shutter sound on. There's a law in Japan that requires the shutter sound to be at maximum volume and to be a recognizable sound... Thankfully you can muck about and find the correct setting. I'll look for it and post an update... but you have to be rooted to fix it.

It's in post #59 of this thread. But you have to be rooted in order to make changes to that file.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps some screenshots will help:uploadfromtaptalk1375858937349.jpguploadfromtaptalk1375858957294.jpguploadfromtaptalk1375858977098.jpgSent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Sinister813

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
So, I found a few relatively cheap and easy ways to take pics without the shutter sound for users that do not have rooted devices.

1) Download an external camera app from the app store.

2) While taking a video, you can take a still(similar to a screenshot).

3) For any Snap Chat users, you can download "Snapsave" and take a picture and then download it to your device. (you might have to pay around $0.99 to unlock full version)

4) Mute your phone, then while the camera app is open, take a screenshot. Only problem, you have all that annoying stuff around the edges. (this works for Sprint users as well)

5) Root your phone(CORRECTLY), use some sort of file explorer with read/write capabilities enabled( I use ES file explorer), go to system, audio, UI, find the shutter.ogg and rename to shutter.ogg.bak, or simply delete the file.

That is all I have for now.

tckeener

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
well it was kinda awkward at my son's scout ceremony when i tried to take pictures and everyone else was totally quiet.. i felt as though i was distracting the people leading the ceremony so i stopped taking pictures..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC