I'm sorry if these have been asked and answered. I'm new to the android experience. I had the note for a week, which was my ONLY android experience. Moving on....

Q1: I have a passcode on my phone. How do I control music functions (stop, pause, move forward, move back, etc.) while on the lock screen? I think I read somewhere it was only for the native music app, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this with that. Please help. If this is only via an app please make your best free and paid suggestions.

Q2: How do I control notifications? I'm not talking about the led light notifications. I'm talking about notifications from messages, notifications from yahoo messenger, etc. Meaning how do I keep certain ones from scrolling at the top of the screen. Kind of like how you have the option to turn certain ones on and off on the iphone. If this is not an option please tell me what the next best thing is.

Thanks in advance!
    06-28-2012 12:01 PM
    regarding question 1, when you use the "Play Music" app, you have basic controls on the lock screen.
    shaffertyler likes this.
    06-28-2012 01:16 PM
    yup, like stars says, with play you have basic controls AFTER you swipe to get to your unlock input area. You need to start playing a song or something to see it on your lock screen

as far as the notifications, you have to turn that on/off from the settings in each app, or do you mean the ability to preview the notification in your lock screen?
    06-28-2012 01:37 PM
    Could you explain how to turn off the notifications of say text messages from scrolling at the top of the screen? I have never seen such an option. I mean when the phone is on and in use. It would be ideal to disable this from the lock screen as well. I hate that the full contest of my messages scroll at the top of my screen. I would like to disable this from yahoo messenger as well. I don't see an option in yahoo to disable this. In IOS you can go in from the settings menu and pick and choose what scrolls at the top while the phone is on and in use and what shows on the lock screen as well. I love this phone but would love to able to customize my notifications. Am I making any sense?
    06-28-2012 02:30 PM
    I cant say for sure that you can stop the text from scrolling in the notification bar because i dont have my s3 yet, however if you dont see an option for it, i'm going to assume you can't disable it. i think the only way to do it would be to turn off notifications for texts all together, but then i guess you wouldn't know when you get a text..........there is however a solution, at least for the texts.....

You can download Handcent SMS. I love this app for texting. it has an option to not have the text scroll in notifications. you can also lock your texts to have to put in a code or whatever to get in them so no one can read your texts......plenty of options and customizations to it.
    06-28-2012 02:37 PM
    I'm sorry if these have been asked and answered. I'm new to the android experience. I had the note for a week, which was my ONLY android experience. Moving on....

Q1: I have a passcode on my phone. How do I control music functions (stop, pause, move forward, move back, etc.) while on the lock screen? I think I read somewhere it was only for the native music app, but I can't seem to figure out how to do this with that. Please help. If this is only via an app please make your best free and paid suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
    I don't have the SGS 3 yet, coming soon I hope. But for android in general, there are some good lockscreen apps, I have used the Widgetlocker app before for functionality like this. It is probably the most widely used locker app.
    06-28-2012 02:46 PM
    Could you explain how to turn off the notifications of say text messages from scrolling at the top of the screen? I have never seen such an option. I mean when the phone is on and in use. It would be ideal to disable this from the lock screen as well. I hate that the full contest of my messages scroll at the top of my screen. I would like to disable this from yahoo messenger as well. I don't see an option in yahoo to disable this. In IOS you can go in from the settings menu and pick and choose what scrolls at the top while the phone is on and in use and what shows on the lock screen as well. I love this phone but would love to able to customize my notifications. Am I making any sense?
    hmm, I'm not sure I understand because my text messages or any notification for that matter, do not scroll in any matter. I just get an icon unless I swipe down the notification drawer, then I get a preview of the messages/emails, etc.

I actually had to install notifierpro to get previews of my messages because I actually prefer to see that stuff in my lock screen.
    06-28-2012 02:48 PM
    Mine scrolls the full message. It is very annoying. Being notified via the light is enough for me. I don't need to have a preview of the message. I like my privacy. Is there an app that you can use from messenger like Yahoo that does allow you to control the notifications?
    06-28-2012 02:54 PM
    Mine scrolls the full message. It is very annoying. Being notified via the light is enough for me. I don't need to have a preview of the message. I like my privacy. Is there an app that you can use from messenger like Yahoo that does allow you to control the notifications?
    Wait, this is really confusing. If yours scrolls and mine does not, there's probably a way to disable/enable. Are we talking about the same thing?

If your phone is locked and you get a text message, the text actually scrolls in the top notification area? I was trying very hard to find a way to turn that function on and wasn't able to find it, so it makes me feel like we're talking about different things here.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how their S3 functions?
    06-28-2012 03:32 PM
    Wait, this is really confusing. If yours scrolls and mine does not, there's probably a way to disable/enable. Are we talking about the same thing?

If your phone is locked and you get a text message, the text actually scrolls in the top notification area? I was trying very hard to find a way to turn that function on and wasn't able to find it, so it makes me feel like we're talking about different things here.

Maybe someone else can chime in on how their S3 functions?

The notification message scrolls only once as soon as you get an email, text etc and after a preview it won't scroll anymore, unless you get a new one.
    06-28-2012 03:55 PM
    My gs3 doesn't do that, they're no previews or any scrolling of texts on my phone , I was using the stock app, now I'm using handcent and I still don't have that issue, handcent has quite a few settings if you wish to try it
    06-28-2012 08:40 PM
    The notification message scrolls only once as soon as you get an email, text etc and after a preview it won't scroll anymore, unless you get a new one.
    I see the notification preview now but it's ridiculously quick on my phone to the point where unless I knew exactly when the msg was coming, I would never see it. Definitely doesn't scroll though and only get a few words from the beginning and that's it...
    06-28-2012 09:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD