Facebook won't sync only existing contacts - syncs everything

Kennyb123

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Why would you sync your google account when you want to sync your facebook accounts??

Is this question serious? Their Google account holds all their REAL contacts - so of course they want to keep it synced. They want to sync their FB account so they can have contact pictures show up on their REAL contacts. They just don't want ALL their FB friends showing up on their contact list. Haxsync does this much better than FB. It's worth the dollar.

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Is this question serious? Their Google account holds all their REAL contacts - so of course they want to keep it synced. They want to sync their FB account so they can have contact pictures show up on their REAL contacts. They just don't want ALL their FB friends showing up on their contact list. Haxsync does this much better than FB. It's worth the dollar.

My post was basically saying why would you sync google account when someone was asking about FB. But if the answer is to sync you google account and then sync your FB then i shall try it :)

eidylon

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Once you go to Menu > Contacts to display > "click on customized list". Then select your facebook account and make sure all contacts is unchecked. Hit done at the top to see if they are gone. If not go back into into the customized list and check it then hit done then go back into the customized list and uncheck it and hit done. This worked for me.
Had been LOOKING for this stupid setting! Missed it from my old Captivate and was MAJOR bummed they removed it (or so I thought). Thanks for directing us to it!!!

Yeag3r

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a similar question regarding the calendar. I won't start another thread, but all of a sudden there are no birthdays syncing to the calendar.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

milkteapanda

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hey Madhman12,

I have tried this and it has taken off all of the unwanted contacts from my phonebook.
However, when I send a text message and try to add a contact all of my contacts still show, do you know how to fix that??
Thanks

madman12

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the stock messaging app? If you use Handcent it will show the correct contacts. Otherwise you would want to stay under the groups tab and select my contacts or which ever group name you have all your main contacts stored under.

madman12

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I believe for the calendar you will have to sync facebook separately. Open your calendar then Menu>Settings>Calendars>add account and select facebook.

Angela Tyler

May 25, 2013
Visit site
This is what I just did for my Galaxy S4.. Sync the contacts as is with all the facebook contacts. While in your phones contacts go to settings and select "contacts to display" , then choose your gmail account associated with the phone. Then all your contacts will have the facebook pics but with out having an additional 600+ friends in contacts :)

brandygirl29

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Go to contacts > settings > contacts to display > device

This fixed the issue I was having with all Facebook contacts syncing, now only the people I had in my contacts are showing up versus ALL Facebook contacts.

tublecane

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
This is what I did and while i works browsing through the contacts, when you type a name from the dialer it still picks up any of the FB contacts with a number. This is super annoying because that is how I dial people and there are plenty of FB contacts with numbers that come up. Any solution to this? I'd like to have the contacts I want sync with their facebook pictures, but if I can't then I'll just go without rather than deal with the annoying issue of having the FB contacts show up sometimes.

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I have lived a miserable week with my phone. From one moment to another a phone call from a number 316 400 0267 sounds, when I answered, i listened to a recording that is not understood. The phone rang many times in a day. I talk to my cell Company and it seems the phone number is a nonexistent number. It is important to mention that I was getting a message “Android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly”.

Looking how to fix this, I read these recommendations:

1. Remove recently installed applications. I did it .
2. Go to -> apps, select the tab "All", search for "Contacts", delete data and cache.
3.Then, they recommended me to go and look for "Google services framework" and do the same thing.

This worked fine and the problem disappear for a few days. And suddenly, I started getting the call.

I decided to reset the phone from scratch. I backup the data, and started to install applications one by one. I started to install 115 applications in this order:

1. Twitter
2. Facebook
3. Linkedin. While i was installing it a Facebook message appears on screen requesting to synchronize contacts, to which I said yes. I continued installing the apps.
4. Instagram
5. Yahoo
6. Evernote
7. Bufferapp

I was interrupted because I got a call from the famous non-assigned number 3174000267.

I cant believe this.

I started with the suspicion of the sync processes of Facebook. And from what I've seen and read is that they want the contact list.

I have 656 phones numbers in my contacts. So I decided to debug my contact list on gmail (via Web). I move some 400 phone numbers to a crm app “Base”.

I Continued with my installation process for each app:

1. Download and install the application of market
2. Went to settings, and rejected any contact sync to any application. Some apps allow it. In Facebook, I blocked the sync contact process.

My Gmail contact list is synchronized with my gmail account. I didn’t use the backup to restore contact data. My problem has been solved. The good thing about all this is that my contact list is very ordered. My decision is that my directory is Gmail, and do not want things to come from elsewhere.

We are living between two giants Google and Facebook fighting for our data. Contacts on Android phones are technically in nature of a Gmail kind. This means that it is important to update the data of personal contacts in Gmail contacts.

And finally FFB ... and my mission now is to start moving my friends to use Google plus, so my contact list will have pictures of their faces.