Facebook won't sync only existing contacts - syncs everything

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Installed Facebook app and chose to "sync existing contacts only" rather than all contacts. Unfortunately it put every FB friend I have in my contacts list. I only wanted it to sync the existing ones in my contact list and update pictures etc.

I can easily go to contacts/accounts/facebook and remove it - thus removing the added contacts - but it also removes any info added about existing contacts.

This does not seem to be working properly. Anyone figure out why/how? Thanks!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Had Facebook uninstalled for a month or so. It's since been updated and I reinstalled it just now.

Again I chose to sync existing contacts rather than ALL contacts. Same result - every FB friend I have was synced to my phone. I have turned it off again as it still does not work.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If you go to contacts and go into the settings, the first option should be "Only contacts with phone"

I don't see any settings in my contacts menu...what am I missing?

Go to your contacts, Menu > Contacts to display > "click on your google account"

Your welcome.

Sorry I don't see that option in my contacts menu. Are you using a 3rd party contacts app?

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
When you are in the contacts you press the button on the left hand side of the home button. then you have to scroll down to "Settings" then it is the first option in there. It is unchecked.
How ever this still hasnt worked for me. Its just one of these little things that i was used to before i got this phone. Oh well you cant have it all

Reactions: jeffreii

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
When you are in the contacts you press the button on the left hand side of the home button. then you have to scroll down to "Settings" then it is the first option in there. It is unchecked.
How ever this still hasnt worked for me. Its just one of these little things that i was used to before i got this phone. Oh well you cant have it all

Wow. I never even thought to SCROLL through the items that pop up in the menu. As you can see from the screenshot above I did not see the settings option...but then again I didn't SCROLL down. I just assumed hitting menu would show all menu options

There should at least be some static visual indicator that the menu you are seeing is scrollable.

Thanks for this.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
So now that I've learned about the option to show only Google contacts...Facebook syncs my contacts but won't sync their profile pictures anymore?

I KNOW it did this before and now it won't! It's amazing Facebook can be so bad for Android...glad I'm not a huge user but I'd at least like to have some more pictures in my contacts!

EDIT: Reinstall of Facebook fixed it (it's still broken, just not as badly as I thought).

Last edited:

madman12

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Once you go to Menu > Contacts to display > "click on customized list". Then select your facebook account and make sure all contacts is unchecked. Hit done at the top to see if they are gone. If not go back into into the customized list and check it then hit done then go back into the customized list and uncheck it and hit done. This worked for me.

hrbib21

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Once you go to Menu > Contacts to display > "click on customized list". Then select your facebook account and make sure all contacts is unchecked. Hit done at the top to see if they are gone. If not go back into into the customized list and check it then hit done then go back into the customized list and uncheck it and hit done. This worked for me.
WOW, this worked perfectly. Thanks!