My battery life sucks. How about yourself?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I use wifi when I'm home so that greatly helps battery life.

You should also reset your refresh intervals to manual instead of auto

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

bbolumen

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I have a Droid Charge by Samsung and I only get 5-8 hours on the battery. Setting say Display is 80%, email 4%, Android System 4%, Android OS 3% ....

As long as I am at work I have it charged by my computer so it keeps at 100% but when it is in my pocket with a couple of phone calls and emails only, the most I normally get is about 7-8 hrs before it gets below 25%.

I now bought 2 batteries to keep fully charged because the car charger I have (2 of them in fact) will not charge because the phone is "too hot" which happens when I try and use the GPS which drains my phone very quickly.

Disturbd1

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
If you ask me, it's most definitely screen time + cell radio. I've had mine for 2 days now. 1st day I was astounded at how long the battery lasted. As others mentioned, it wasn't long before I began to put "my apps" back on using Titanium Backup. After fiddling with the discrepancies between GB and ICS, and getting the proper versions of my apps back...I noticed quite a drop in battery life. Primarily when I'm at work. I have 1-3 bars sometimes, and other times absolutely nothing (I.E. it's searching for 3G, we have no LTE here yet). That said, my old Evo had the same behavior, so at least I can say it's not a crappy cell radio in the unit. If anything, it's better. It DOES, however, definitely use more battery to power it. I've found no way to tell the phone to differentiate between 3G and searching for LTE, so I assume that isn't really the problem. I've got 8h 0m on battery, with 29% of use being screen time, 27% Cell Standby, and 12% voice calls (I made one call for about 30min over lunch, and received one that lasted MAYBE 2-3min prior). I'm sitting on 35% battery right now. To me that is....meh. Not terrible, but definitely not great. Screen-on time is 1h 5m.

EDIT: I never have GPS on, unless I'm going to use it. I never use BT. Also, I can't get on WiFi at work, so that is why the in-depth explanation of my 3G woes above.

calcheese

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i'm only averaging about 10-12 hours with a screen on time of 3 - 4 hours and a 20-30 mins calls.

i do have 2 email accounts set to push and 1 to sync every hour.

chaunsey

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
poor signal is definitely big, first day both my brother and i got great battery, around 6 hours of heavy use with like 3 of screen time dropped me by only around 40%.

last 2 days with moderate use we both got down to around 20-30% after 8hours, maybe 1 hour screen time, and both data and sync off.

the reason being we were working in an area kind of out in the sticks, we only had roaming coverage and barely a signal at all, the phone ends up constantly trying to stay connected.

another thing to look for is awake time vs screen time, in the battery stats you can see the screen and awake time bars next to each other, they should be mostly the same, if you have a lot of times where the phone is awake when not using the screen, then you have apps and stuff that are keeping your phone awake when you're not actively using it.

sync is a big drain too, your phone ends up constantly updating stuff, i turned it off, and honestly it doesnt matter much, plus the s3 has "shake to update" so instead of sync, when you want to check email and stuff that needs to update, just shake the phone, and voila! updated.

other than these few issues, normally my phone is getting excellent battery life especially when you consider the sheer power and features its running. i imagine it will only get better with updated and as people learn more about how to streamline this phone, especially if you root.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have 1-3 bars sometimes, and other times absolutely nothing (I.E. it's searching for 3G, we have no LTE here yet). That said, my old Evo had the same behavior,.... found no way to tell the phone to differentiate between 3G and searching for LTE, so I assume that isn't really the problem........

I am assuming based on the evo comment, and lack of 4g, that you are on sprint.

if so, the 4g radio on the phone is turned off....hence the lack of problem searching for 4g signal

settings>more settings>mobile networks>network mode> will show that "CDMA" is selected...to turn on 4G you would select "LTE/CDMA" instead.

but don't do this until you know it is in your area ;)

bauer2

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
This was with alittle below average usage do I would say that's pretty darn good.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

zbStylez

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I will try to post a screen shot tomorrow, but today was brilliant. It is my 4th day with the SIII. I unplugged about 0600, went to work which is a 45 min commute listening to music and fiddling with it. I do get e-mails and text at work, minimal browsing. by 1600 (10 hours of usage) I was sitting at 80%. My battery is just a monster when it comes to surviving. I started playing with it alot more downloading apps, widgets, rearranging everything, talking to the girlfriend etc... by 2300 I was still left with 40% in the battery...

So either I got really lucky with a good battery or you guy shafted with a defective battery.

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
i will try to post a screen shot tomorrow, but today was brilliant. It is my 4th day with the siii. I unplugged about 0600, went to work which is a 45 min commute listening to music and fiddling with it. I do get e-mails and text at work, minimal browsing. By 1600 (10 hours of usage) i was sitting at 80%. My battery is just a monster when it comes to surviving. I started playing with it alot more downloading apps, widgets, rearranging everything, talking to the girlfriend etc... By 2300 i was still left with 40% in the battery...

So either i got really lucky with a good battery or you guy shafted with a defective battery.

impossible....

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I am quite pleased with the battery. For the first time in a long time, I comfortably left my house without lugging the charger with me. I had close to full charge at 5pm and went to 4th of July barbecue. While there I let my uncle play with the phone (looking at pics, videos on youtube and IMDB, and d/l apps )etc. I took pictures, let my daughter play Angry Birds and just plain fiddled with it because it's still new and hard to put down. My poor Evo would not have lasted all of that. I'm home now with 50% left on the battery and was in a pretty low signal area until I connected to my gramma's wifi. The other day, with moderate usage the battery lasted17 hours, almost all day! I wasn't doing anything too intensive...a couple of foursquare checkins, looking at pics, playing wwf and checking emails. So, no complaints from me in that dept. Mind you, I also have the settings on the power save option so I'm sure that helps.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was also using a live Fireworks wallpaper. I am at work now, it's 10:16am and I have 12% battery left. Screen time on is 3h 18m. Total time on battery 17h 46 min. Oh yeah, I'm doing my happy dance :)

Last edited:

zbStylez

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
impossible....

3 hours and I lost 5%....
4EurC.png

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is great now. It sucked in the beginning when I started downloading some apps here and there but I downloaded this advanced task killing app recently and the battery life has significantly improved!
After a moderate use with messeging apps and etc still 81% after 10 hours. Screen time was about 53 minutes and stay awake time was only about 4 minutes.

Last edited:

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
A thought. Do you guys who have crap battery life have power saver turned off? It may be the difference between you and everyone else.

Good question. I've had mediocre battery life lately (was awesome when I first got it).
My power saver is turned off tho. Does it make much of a difference w it on?

Sent from a different Galaxy using Tapatalk 2.

taylorz_412

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Decent for some lte and WiFi but I have sync and auto brightness turned on with a bunch of accounts and what not

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084