Galaxy III doesn't show up on my Desktop??

RajaPee

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from a GSI to a GSIII. With my old handset, I could transfer files between phone and computer (iMac) just by plugging the phone into my computer. I had the phone set as a storage device in settings. Now with the new handset, after plugging it into the computer, nothing happens. The phone does not show up on my desktop at all. The handset is set to Media device (MTP); there is a check mark next to this option. But still my iMac does not recognize the phone. I tried using Kies but I have NEVER had any luck with Kies. That is one CRAP piece of software! Any suggestions anyone?

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
While this is not exactly the plugged-in method you're looking for - I will mention that I haven't even bothered plugging my device into the computer (woohoo!)

I have ES File Explorer and can access any of my shared drives from the phone using the wireless lan connection (new server, enter user/pass, see all the files!)

ALSO you can use ES File Explorer in FTP mode and it will allow you to browse the files on your phone using your computer (works for my PC hopefully works for your mac). Simply enable it in ES and then open a browser (I prefer to use the windows/file explorer over the internet browsers, but both work) and enter your IP address/port (shown in ES).

Both methods allow me to copy files to/from the phones internal storage and MicroSD with no wires needed. It took a few minutes to figure it out and now that I know what I'm doing it's a breeze.

Reactions: Rev2010

djdosage

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
If you read online its pretty simple. You need to download the app that allows you to connect it to a mac. Just google and download the application. Once its installed- you plug your phone in and run it off of the photo mode, not MTP.

from here on out- every time you plug into the comp it automatically pops up :)

Android.com

Reactions: RajaPee

neoflasher

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
If you read online its pretty simple. You need to download the app that allows you to connect it to a mac. Just google and download the application. Once its installed- you plug your phone in and run it off of the photo mode, not MTP.

from here on out- every time you plug into the comp it automatically pops up :)

Android.com

Actually tried this and it didn't work for me. :(

Reactions: RajaPee

jaymzb0nd

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It's funny because I came on here for the same reason. I saw a pop up that said to use Samsung Kies for the PC to sync data but would rather do it like my previous phone by just plugging in and opening a folder.

RajaPee

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Mate, I am a total newbie when it comes to android tech. Is there any way you could walk me through the process? I've already downloaded and installed ES File Explorer. I've gone into the program, and in the upper left of the menu I've clicked on LAN. What now? :-\

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe your problem with a cabled connection may be that you don't have the necessary Samsung device drivers installed. Check on the Samsung website for Mac drivers and install. Then you should see your phone and be able to drag and drop files either direction. Also, Kies used with a USB cable is more straight forward as to finding devices and has much more sync functionality than when used with WiFi or Bluetooth which may be why you are having trouble moving some types of files.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Mate, I am a total newbie when it comes to android tech. Is there any way you could walk me through the process? I've already downloaded and installed ES File Explorer. I've gone into the program, and in the upper left of the menu I've clicked on LAN. What now? :-\

You click new and then choose server. It will pop up a box for your info. You really only need to enter a username and password (in a typical scenario...). That will be your computer's username/password. I'm not sure how difficult this will be if you're not familiar with network shares...and I am of no help if you're doing it on a mac.

It's definitely easier, I think, to do it the other way and go into ES settings, remote settings, enable remote manage. Then open up your file explorer on the computer and enter the address listed under the "remote manage" box you clicked in ES. It should allow you to access your phone from the computer and add/remove files.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
ALSO you can use ES File Explorer in FTP mode and it will allow you to browse the files on your phone using your computer

Didn't even know this and I've had ES File Explorer for a while now. Just tried this last night and it works totally awesome! I use Ubuntu Linux so I have the free gFTP installed. I think this is how I will transfer from now on.

Rev.

RajaPee

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you try going into "developer options" and enabling USB debugging before connecting your phone to the computer?

Hey Calvin35,

That was the problem. I went into developer options and clicked on the debugging option. Then I had to connect as as Camera (PTP), and then it was all good! Thanks dude!

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
When you connect via USB you can go to the USB notification and click on it - it will give you an option to choose between MTP and PTP.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power