Trying Kies via Wi-Fi - Scan for Kies air server - No Devices

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S III (S3) and trying to use the Kies to SYNC via WiFi feature.
Using the most up to date version of Kies for PC (2.3.2.12054_20).

I followed the instructions on the link in the Kies PC app ?Wi-Fi Connection Setup Guide? and when I perform the ?SCAN? feature on the Galaxy SIII Kies air application > the app keeps reporting ?Scan for Kies air server > No Devices?.

I went as far as to completely turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (my Anti-Virus), and re-attempt with no better success.

However, when I use the ?START? feature of the Kies air application, I have no problems connecting via my browser to ?http : //192.168.x.x:8080? to access the Kies air web page.

I can also easily access the Samsung Galaxy S III via Wi-Fi for device / folder browsing.

The goal here is having the ability to SYNC my PC and Galaxy device using Kies, as advertised / documented, instead of having to use the provided USB cable.

Thanks in advance for any input, help & feedback that the group can provide.

Device details:

Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3) (S III)
SGH-I747M
Android version 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich)
Baseband I747MVLLE8

Last edited:

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is your PC connected to your wireless router via an ethernet cable or is it also on wifi? If it's hooked up via a cable of course it won't find the phone in a scan.

Rev.

Nazty111

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
try making a rule with your firewall, i somehow managed to do it through eset. was a bit of a pain to find but i put kies as an exception.

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
in the original message, i mentioned that i actually turned the Firewall completly off, plus I also added the rule to Windows Firewall as instructed in the Kies step-by-step Wi-Fi setup guide.

Were you refering to another rule in particular?

Nazty111

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes I saw. I was just telling you how I did it. I think it is a little hit and miss though so I rather use it though usb connection. But what I did was, in firewall options (mine was eset internet security) I had to find all the processes associated with kies and add them as exceptions. Sorry for not being too technical, I'm not a technician, but I just rooted around until I got it to work. Try double checking the walkthrough to make sure you set everything right. I think your pc needs to allow access to the phone also. Good luck.

onslaught460

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S III (S3) and trying to use the Kies to SYNC via WiFi feature.
Using the most up to date version of Kies for PC (2.3.2.12054_20).

I followed the instructions on the link in the Kies PC app ?Wi-Fi Connection Setup Guide? and when I perform the ?SCAN? feature on the Galaxy SIII Kies air application > the app keeps reporting ?Scan for Kies air server > No Devices?.

I went as far as to completely turn off Windows Firewall and Microsoft Security Essentials (my Anti-Virus), and re-attempt with no better success.

However, when I use the ?START? feature of the Kies air application, I have no problems connecting via my browser to ?http : //192.168.x.x:8080? to access the Kies air web page.

I can also easily access the Samsung Galaxy S III via Wi-Fi for device / folder browsing.

The goal here is having the ability to SYNC my PC and Galaxy device using Kies, as advertised / documented, instead of having to use the provided USB cable.

Thanks in advance for any input, help & feedback that the group can provide.

Device details:

Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3) (S III)
SGH-I747M
Android version 4.0.4 (ice cream sandwich)
Baseband I747MVLLE8

Hello, I think I may have a solution for you. The easiest way for me to put this is that there are two versions of kies on the phone. One version turns your phone into a server (That's what you're using to connect to your phone through the browser incase it doesn't have the software) and the other turns it into a client.

To turn the phone into a client, you have to go to Settings---> More setings---> kies via Wi-Fi and if your network/computer is set up correctly then it should show up. You can also hit "refresh" for it to show up as well. I hope that helps.

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Just to update the thread.

Kies is able to update my Contacts and Tasks from Outlook, but not my calendar. (This is via Wifi OR USB cable). Seems like there is a bug with that part of the sync.

I found this app > MyPhoneExplorer. i guess I will have to use this app, but I would have rathered use the app designed by Samsung.

arthrod

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I'm having the same problem and I didn't find the "more settings." There are no extra settings either in my android, or in the kies program of the phone, or the kies program of windows. Any tips?

RobertBurnsOB

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
First of all, this level of complexity is dramatic evidence of bad human factors engineering. Somehow I finally got connected, probably after defects resolved themselves. I had to figure out where and what to plug in for a web address; the tutorial says the computer browser, but the phone says "browser" which could be the phone's browser, and I had to pare down the web address to get it to work eliminating "http://" on the left and "/" on the right. What ejits are responsible for this travesty in this hemorrhoid system?

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you have a hotmail account and you have outlook connector installed, then your calendar will be automatically synched with your mobile and you will get alarms for any calendar entries you set using outlook. I loved this as my Samsung S3 reminds me of any schedules I have just set only using the outlook.
:)

choose another name

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
"Rev2010

Is your PC connected to your wireless router via an ethernet cable or is it also on wifi? If it's hooked up via a cable of course it won't find the phone in a scan"

my pc is hooked to the router by cable. how can i pair a s3mini to the pc through wi-fi? for start i just want to send my photos and videos from my phone to my pc via wi-fi

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you start the Kies application on the phone it should present you with a URL (something like http://192.168.0.1:8080). All you have to do is enter that information into the address bar of the browser on your PC, and it should be able to connect to your S3 Mini. It doesn't matter that your PC is connected to the router via a cable - as long as it's on the same network as the S3 Mini it should see it.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

choose another name

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
thank you for answering! no, the http stuff http://192.168.0.1??:8080 is for Kies Air and that actually worked perfectly, but i was also trying to get the s3mini to connect to the pc/router in KIES as well, which is the ~70Mb app one can get from Samsung on pc. In this program they suggest the phone can be connected two ways, by usb cable or by wi-fi; for the wi-fi option there`s a photo of a laptop which has its own wi-fi capability. so i thought maybe this connection is not meant to work between the phone and a pc connected to a wi-fi router through cable - can anyone confirm this conclusion?
sorry for my english and a big thanks to all willing to help the noob in need

rd2006

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Is your PC connected to your wireless router via an ethernet cable or is it also on wifi? If it's hooked up via a cable of course it won't find the phone in a scan.
This is misleading, ignore it.

thank you for answering! no, the http stuff http://192.168.0.1??:8080 is for Kies Air and that actually worked perfectly, but i was also trying to get the s3mini to connect to the pc/router in KIES as well, which is the ~70Mb app one can get from Samsung on pc. In this program they suggest the phone can be connected two ways, by usb cable or by wi-fi; for the wi-fi option there`s a photo of a laptop which has its own wi-fi capability. so i thought maybe this connection is not meant to work between the phone and a pc connected to a wi-fi router through cable - can anyone confirm this conclusion?
sorry for my english and a big thanks to all willing to help the noob in need
It is possible to sync your phone via its wireless connection to a PC, on the same network (wired or wireless), running the Samsung Kies application (DL here: SAMSUNG KIES), I'm doing it right now on a Win7 PC with a wired connection to a wireless router, to which, my GS3 is wirelessly connected.
  • Start up the Kies application on the PC and follow the setup steps e.g. the windows firewall settings.
  • In your phone go to settings, under the "Wireless and networks" section there is an option (on the GS3 at least) called "More Settings"
  • in here at the very bottom is an option called "Kies via Wi-Fi". Selecting this will scan for your PC
  • select your PC in the list and you will be given a four-digit PIN to enter into the Kies app running on your PC which should now have popped up a window asking for it
  • enter the pin and, after a long while in my case, it should start syncing your phone
You might want to do the first sync via USB as it's taking a long time to download all my photos.

Thanks to onslaught460 for pointing that out, I was going nowhere fast with the Kies Air app trying to achieve this!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Alyssa,
Kies Air should work on your Apple product - just start the Kies Air app on your phone, then open a web browser on your laptop and enter in the URL that's provided by the Kies Air app.
Both the phone and laptop need to be on the same network.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 4