I was messing with Maps today and noticed some pretty wild GPS and positioning inaccuracies. I've had it tell me I'm facing the opposite direction, I've had it place me across the street, etc. Sometimes it's on point and correctly shows where I am and which way I'm facing. Other times it's totally off 90 - 180 degrees and places me almost a block away from where I am. What the hell is up with this?? My Droid 2 was waaay better at GPS and positioning. Occasionally though my Droid 2 calibration would slightly drift 2-3 degrees and I'd have to recalibrate it, but I don't even see any built in calibration for the S3.

I searched online and downloaded the GPS Status app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sstatus2&hl=en

though until I get home I can't go through it's own calibration. Has anyone else had problems with the GPS or positioning? I've been loving the hell out of my device but this issue is seriously getting me worried as I use these features pretty often.

Rev.
    07-02-2012 02:42 PM
    Yes, lots of issues across multiple platforms.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2
    07-02-2012 02:47 PM
    Yes, lots of issues across multiple platforms.

By multiple platforms are you basically saying, "yeah everyone has GPS issues regardless of device"? Because as mentioned I personally never had any major issues whatsoever with my Droid 2, just a tad of drift once in a while that was easily fixed with a recalibration. I was looking at some reviews of GPS Status and it seems many reviewed saying it fixed their issues. I'm hoping their built in calibration works well and sticks. I just don't want to do it out in public and look like an ***** calibrating it on a NYC street lol.

Rev.
    07-02-2012 02:53 PM
    Try moving a bit to let the phone figure out which direction you are facing. Also sometimes GPS devices get fooled by tall buildings.
    07-02-2012 03:20 PM
    Mine was off by at least a .25 mile yesterday.
    07-02-2012 07:08 PM
    It's funny, all last week my phone was telling me I was in Yonkers which is about 60 miles away. Always in the same location in Yonkers too. Very strange. It sseems to be fine now and I've had no problems using GPS to get places. Just at my house it was giving me strange readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    07-02-2012 07:29 PM
    It's funny, all last week my phone was telling me I was in Yonkers which is about 60 miles away. Always in the same location in Yonkers too. Very strange. It sseems to be fine now and I've had no problems using GPS to get places. Just at my house it was giving me strange readings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    So you were lost in Yonkers ?
    Bbeelzebub likes this.
    07-02-2012 07:56 PM
    Ok, so I used the tools in the gps status app to calibrate both the compass and pitch and roll. Only out in my backyard but I can see an instant improvement in accuracy - just like when I'd calibrated my D2. Now it appears perfectly accurate but we'll see over the next day or so. Funny thing is before coming home I had to stop at Staples and I compared my wife's Atrix and the gps was even further off than the S3. I don't mind calibrating it now and then so hopefully this will be the fix.

Rev.
    07-02-2012 08:12 PM
    My wife's old phone (LG Ally) kept telling her she was in Taiwan when she was sitting right next to me in Illinois.

07-02-2012 11:39 PM
    What we consider a GPS location isn't always a GPS location. Sometimes when your phone can't get a lock on an exact location it will use its list of visible wifi networks, compare it with Google's database of known cell tower and wifi locations (many picked up from the Google maps and street view cars), and triangulate from that.

That wifi router part is what trips up some phones. If a street view car picked up a few wireless networks with the same names that are around you it will think you're someplace you're not because it has little to know GPS to back it up.
    07-03-2012 01:30 AM
    Part of the issue last week was the leap second. It was added to the GPS systems before it actually happened. Every single GPS device was affected. At least that's my understanding.

If you're still having issues, I've read that clearing data from Maps and reopening will fix the issue.
    07-03-2012 01:54 AM
    OK, so I tested the phone this morning here in Manhattan and it's working fine and accurate. So it appears the calibration tools in the GPS Status app sure enough fixed the issues I was having. I now shows I am pointed in the right direction and it shows my positioning quite accurate, though sometimes it showed me about 1/2 a block away, not bad though and it would "catch up". Yesterday's behaviour before the calibration was useless.

Rev.
    07-03-2012 11:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD