Music Player and DLNA

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys! Does anyone have a DLNA server out there and has tried the music player with it?

I've got a Netgear ReadyNAS with DLNA/UPnP support. It works great on my PS3 and PC. When I start the music player app and go to the "Nearby devices" tab, my ReadyNAS shows up just fine. If I tap on it, it starts to load up all of the music on the NAS, including artwork!

However, as soon as I try to play a song it says "Sorry, the player does not support this type of audio file." then kinda freaks out. ALL of the music on my NAS is non-DRM MP3s.

I tried out UPnPlay (from the store) and it doesn't play the songs either. HOWEVER, I downloaded the same app on my CM9 TouchPad and it plays just perfectly fine.

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks!!!

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, after some experimenting, it's more widespread than DLNA. NOTHING streams over my WiFi!!

In the YouTube app, I get "Connection Lost. Touch to retry." The Flixter app fails to play any videos as well. As soon as I turn WiFi off and get on 3G, everything streams fine!!!

When I'm on WiFi, EVERYTHING else works perfectly, just not any streaming!!!

What is the deal!!! Can anyone help?!?!!

Muevelo

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'll chime in. DLNA requires a really stable and clean signal on WiFi since latency will kill you. I live in manhattan in an apartment building and there was a ton of interference.

Get yourself the app (free) call Wifi Analyzer for your phone. This will visualize all the wireless AP's. You'll see that it's really crowded on 1, 6, and 11. Pick something inbetween where it's wide open. I found a nice clean spot inbetween on channel 8. Put your wireless AP to only use that channel.

Now try your DLNA again and it'll work like a charm.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but it turns out it's not DLNA. It's streaming ANY media when I'm on WiFi. Everything else works perfectly on WiFi, except for streaming (including the YouTube app).

I have a feeling I'll never get this sorted out. :'(

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
So it turns out that this seems to be something between the SIII and my router. I enabled WiFi at work and had no problems at all. Got home and same thing occurred. Why it's just the streaming media, I have NO idea....

Anyway, I wound up activating the WiFi on my DSL modem and set it up just for my phone. That one streams stuff just fine. It's not exactly on my local network any more, but at least it works 90% instead of 50%.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can you provide some details about what router you have.

Could you be using MAC filtering on the router. That would make it look like the GS3 is connecting but in reality it couldn't do anything.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Can you provide some details about what router you have.

Could you be using MAC filtering on the router. That would make it look like the GS3 is connecting but in reality it couldn't do anything.

It's a Netgear WPN824v3. It does have MAC filtering enabled. The GSIII connects/works fine with absolutely every other network function, just not streaming. I've messed w/ the UPnP settings and all sorts of stuff on that router, to no avail. The other one I set up just for the phone is also set up w/ MAC filtering and works 100%.

It's very strange, to say the least.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Do you have two computers on the network, can they see each others resources with remote streaming. (not just network shares but the actual streaming service)

Maybe it is just me but i can't find anything on it that talks about UPNP. Are you sure your router supports it. You may want to log into the router and look for a page that discusses UPNP reservation and such.

I have seen occasions were UPNP can get confused and the tables get hosed up. I actually had to do a factory reset on my WNR3700 to get the tables to clear once. Just a thought. You may want to clear the config and see if it works. Then gradually reapply the security and make sure it keeps working.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The UPnP tables are clear/normal. I have had this same network setup for years, and have nearly a dozen devices connecting and working great, including PCs, TVs, alarm clocks, PS3, PSP, PS Vita, my old phone, a webOS TouchPad, a 2nd TouchPad running CM9, etc.

Everything talks to each other with ease. In fact, my CM9 tablet running ICS streams perfectly fine. This seems to be something that the S III and my router just don't agree on.

I've set up my new router to route all traffic to my internal network from it's network (yeah, I'm double hopping from the net, but it works). As long as I can enter an IP address, everything works both ways. Unfortunately, DLNA/UPnP on the phone is discovery based, and it won't cross a routed address space. :(

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Try the allshare app and see if that will connect. make sure you specify the remote server as your ready nas server.

Also sometimes it takes a little bit of time for the server to show up. Just click on the refresh option in Allshare.

Maybe it is me, but i have never had much success with the other apps..

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Allshare by the way is Samsungs DLNA software. I have used it on several different samsung phones so i know it works.

I have gotten issues with compatiabilty of the media, but it would connect and let me browse the media.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I've got a workaraound if there's anyone else out there trying to use DLNA/UPnP over a routed network.

This requires that you have an SSH server running "inside" your network. Note that this will also work over the Internet. :) This is a down and dirty list of tasks. I doubt enough people want to be able to do this, so I won't go through explicit details.

• Install ConnectBot SSH client from Play store.
  • Create a session to your SSH server.
  • Add a port forward: Local Port 8200 to <NAS IP address>:8200
  • Install UPnPlay from the Play store.
  • Connect your phone to the local/internal network so it can see the NAS box.
  • In the settings for UPnPlay, allow "WAN Server".
  • Let UPnPlay discover the device.
  • Long press on your discovered device and select "Clone WAN Server".
  • Change the Host to localhost and hit OK.
  • Quit UPnPlay.
  • Move your device to the outside network.

• To use the device, start ConnectBot and log in to your SSH server.
  • Start UPnPlay and tap on the WAN device. It should create your device after a second or two.
  • Now, tap the "fake" device and use as normal.

falcon_1898

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that I experience the same problem with streaming front a DLNA server on LAN.
The phone sees the server and can populate the file/music list. However, it can't play anything. It can stream other media over the internet (i.e. YouTube, etc.) , just not DLNA.

When I use ES file explorer to browse music on the server, it plays the music just fine.

So it's definitely a problem with DLNA functionality in the music app.

falcon_1898

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance, but how do you use the allshare play app?

This is my firest Samsung phone, and I've never been exposed to it.

When I try the app, it tells me time register an online device...but only gives me the choice of dropbox and sugar sync. Where can I add the DLNA server?

Try the allshare app and see if that will connect. make sure you specify the remote server as your ready nas server.

Also sometimes it takes a little bit of time for the server to show up. Just click on the refresh option in Allshare.

Maybe it is me, but i have never had much success with the other apps..

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Tina Stone

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Try ArkMC
I've been using it for years, it works fine with my WD NAS, Windows Media player, XBox, and Samsung TV. It's DLNA certified, and can stream movies from Android Tablet to TV/Win PC directly. And it can playback all my songs and movies from NAS, also it integrated with all installed third-party players.