help with annoying android bugs/issues

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
So I recently got my samsung gs3. I'm loving the screen and the phone overall. However, there are several extremely annoying bugs with android that are aggravating me, especially coming from an iphone where everything did more or less "just work".

1) volume control is whacked. Why does the volume rocker control ringer volume? Who needs hard button access to adjust ringer volume on a constant basis? Also lowering the volume with the rocker plays the notification beeps for each volume step which defeats this point anyway. If I need to adjust ringer volume I'll go to the menu. The rocker buttons should only control media volume, whether media is playing or not so I can reduce the volume prior to putting headphones on, muting it before taking headphones off, etc. Also the first push of the volume button should just display the current volume, I shouldn't have to raise and lower the volume a notch just to see what the current level is.

2) alerts play through speaker, even when headphones or bluetooth is plugged in. Phone calls and text messages will blast full volume out the external speaker even when using headphones - completely and totally unacceptable. Not only do the alerts play through the speaker, but they also mute the media temporarily for no apparent reason. Apparently this has been a known bug for years but has never been fixed.

3) text editing in browser basically broken. there is no way to edit (i.e. select, copy, paste) text in text boxes in any of the browsers. I've tried firefox and chrome with swiftkey and samsung keyboards. The text manipulation is glitched beyond usability in any of them.

There have been other minor issues but these three have been the worst so far. Is there any fix for them?

-oh yeah, a minor bug: the SGS3 has an option to change the vibration pattern for alerts but it doesn't work - the vibration pattern is a super long 2 second single pulse regardless of setting.

Last edited:

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Re: unacceptable fatal android flaws making me regret my purchase

lol, what?

1. Plug your headphones in. Adjust volume. Or use Tasker. This is how EVERY phone does it. Except Windows Phone, which is so far behind it doesn't even have a separate volume adjustment with the rocker for media.

2. Never had this problem in my years with Android. Something about the GS3?

3. What? What are you talking about? Are you drunk?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

So I recently got my samsung gs3. I'm loving the screen. However, there are several totally unacceptable fatal flaws with android that are seriously making me regret my purchase. I'm on the verge of going back to my iphone.

1) volume control is whacked. Why does the volume rocker control ringer volume? Who needs hard button access to adjust ringer volume on a constant basis? Also lowering the volume with the rocker plays the notification beeps for each volume step which defeats this point anyway. If I need to adjust ringer volume I'll go to the menu. The rocker buttons should only control media volume, whether media is playing or not so I can reduce the volume prior to putting headphones on, muting it before taking headphones off, etc. Also the first push of the volume button should just display the current volume, I shouldn't have to raise and lower the volume a notch just to see what the current level is.

2) alerts play through speaker, even when headphones or bluetooth is plugged in. Phone calls and text messages will blast full volume out the external speaker even when using headphones - completely and totally unacceptable. Not only do the alerts play through the speaker, but they also mute the media temporarily for no apparent reason. Apparently this has been a known bug for years but has never been fixed.

3) text editing in browser basically broken. there is no way to edit (i.e. select, copy, paste) text in text boxes in any of the browsers. I've tried firefox and chrome with swiftkey and samsung keyboards. The text manipulation is glitched beyond usability in any of them.

There have been other minor issues but these three have been the worst so far. Is there any fix for them?

-oh yeah, a minor bug: the SGS3 has an option to change the vibration pattern for alerts but it doesn't work - the vibration pattern is a super long 2 second single pulse regardless of setting.

Android is not iOS. It takes a while to learn it. If you are not willing to try it for a few weeks with an open mind and not from the perspective that everything in iOS is the way it should be, just save yourself the time and frustration by returning the phone now.

Just some friendly advice.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

1) I like it this way. There are probably apps around to remap what your buttons do.

2) Supposedly fixed in Jellybean based on some reports I've read (but who knows when we will get that). I also don't think it's an issue with Google Music or the latest version of Poweramp (although I'm not sure on that last one). I don't think it's an issue on my phone either, but I'm running an EVO 4G right now with CM7, so that's not a good comparison.

3) I don't have my GSIII yet, but I've never had any issues with this in Gingerbread. Select/Copy/Paste all works fine. I'd be surprised if this somehow doesn't work in ICS or Touchwiz. I'm sure someone else who already has their phone can test it out. No offense, but perhaps you just don't know how to do it? Typically just tapping in the text box will bring up a cursor, double tapping will bring up two (so you can slide them around to select the text you want). Long pressing will bring up options to select all/copy all/cut all. Tapping on the selection will give you the options to copy or cut. Then long-pressing in the text box will give you the option to paste it. Should work fine...and I'd imagine it's the same on the GSIII as it is on my phone.

Reactions: beh

FishMeetFish

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site

1. Why does the volume rocker control ringer volume?

Why not? This feature is very useful to me. Why would I go set ringer volume from the menu when I could just use the volume rocker? Using the volume rocker is easier for me.

tekhna

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

1. Why does the volume rocker control ringer volume?

Why not? This feature is very useful to me. Why would I go set ringer volume from the menu when I could just use the volume rocker? Using the volume rocker is easier for me.

Yep. I've got an iPhone in front of me. What does the volume rocker control? Ringer volume! Because every single smartphone controls the ringer with the volume rocker. Because it makes sense.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

Android is not iOS. It takes a while to learn it. If you are not willing to try it for a few weeks with an open mind and not from the perspective that everything in iOS is the way it should be, just save yourself the time and frustration by returning the phone now.

Just some friendly advice.

You said it BEST sir!! I had to stop myself when I first read it because I didn't want to sound like a douche bag, lol!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1. Every phone does this. Go get a iphone and uh... It will work the same :rolleyes:

2. I can understand how this would make you angry. I will ROM my s3 (getting it today) as soon as one is out since most custom ROMs can fix this. It did for my s2.

3. Again just like iphone... Press and hold on the text and it will highlight it... From there you can highlight everything you want and copy... Then go where you want to paste and hold again (like in a text message) and... Paste.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

I think the original poster should go back to his iPhone... :confused:

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Yep. I've got an iPhone in front of me. What does the volume rocker control? Ringer volume! Because every single smartphone controls the ringer with the volume rocker. Because it makes sense.

With iOS you have an option to disable that and only set the ringer in settings but still be able adjust volume for apps and music.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

1. Every phone does this. Go get a iphone and uh... It will work the same :rolleyes:

2. I can understand how this would make you angry. I will ROM my s3 (getting it today) as soon as one is out since most custom ROMs can fix this. It did for my s2.

3. Again just like iphone... Press and hold on the text and it will highlight it... From there you can highlight everything you want and copy... Then go where you want to paste and hold again (like in a text message) and... Paste.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

With 1), I think my problem is that the phone does not mute media audio when muting the ringer, or plugging/unplugging headphones. It is just inconsistent and bugs me. I've already had two office sound oopsies due to not knowing what the media volume was at. Maybe I should just get an app that shows the media volume as a widget.

2) How involved is it to install a custom rom? Will I lose functionality/features?

3) Still unable to do this. On this forum, on chrome, using swiftkey, I cannot edit text. Basically, the selector pointers are glitched, they will not select text and just warp around the text box seemingly at random when I touch a point I want them to be at. Is there an app that lets me record a video of actions on the phone so I can demonstrate?

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

With iOS you have an option to disable that and only set the ringer in settings but still be able adjust volume for apps and music.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

Yup this is what I want. Unfortunately there is no app that I can find that does this. I wish someone would write one, seems like it would be pretty simple. I'd write it myself if I was more familiar with java and android OS.

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

I think the original poster should go back to his iPhone... :confused:

Please don't flame me. I am trying to get used to this but am having legitimate problems that I am trying to fix or work around.

Volume control +

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...EsImNvbS5jYi52b2x1bWVQbHVzIl0.&token=m_Psh-G2

Sent from my DROIDX (soon to be sent from my S3) using AC Forums App

I'll check it out, thanks.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site

1. Search Volume Control Widget in the Play Store and pick one that suits your needs. I've never used any of them so I can't recommend one, but Slider Widget looks pretty promising.

2. Must be an S3 issue. Definitely not a global Android issue. Never happened to me.

3. I've found that editing text within a browser when composing a reply to threads can be glitchy. Try the Android Central Forums app, or Tapatalk. Much cleaner interface on the phone and very intuitive.
General editing, cutting/copying/pasting has been explained in other replies. I'll admit it took me a little bit to get the hang of it but it works like a charm.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

Please don't flame me. I am trying to get used to this but am having legitimate problems that I am trying to fix or work around.

The reason I reacted the way I did is because your thread title doesn't say "iPhone User Trying To Become Familiar With SGS3"...

Your thread title says "UNACCEPTABLE AND FATAL ANDROID FLAWS ARE MAKING ME REGRET MY SGS3 PURCHASE!!!"

Those two different sentences convey two very different statements.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

<<Please don't flame me. I am trying to get used to this but am having legitimate problems that I am trying to fix or work around.>>

This is the only problem, that you have problems. But you choose to blame it on the phone the OS, etc. If you want an iPhone that works like an iPhone then buy an iPhone (I hear that the next iPhone might even have 4G ;). If you wish to move up the innovation ladder learn to have an open mind and to adapt to new ways of doing and thinking.

You were "flamed" because you "flamed" folks in there own home. We can all understand the frustration of things not going as we would want them to. But your frustration is not anyone else's problem. Ask for assistance and it will be freely given here. Bad mouth the family and you ask for something other than help.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

The problem is what you report as bugs are really opinions. I read your post and don't see any problem with the devices. Realy your first and second issues are personal issues with how you feel it should work, and issue 3 for the best i can come up with is a pebkac error. All the way back to my ATT Captivate on android 2.1 i could cut and past from pretty much anything.

QuantumPion

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

The reason I reacted the way I did is because your thread title doesn't say "iPhone User Trying To Become Familiar With SGS3"...

Your thread title says "UNACCEPTABLE AND FATAL ANDROID FLAWS ARE MAKING ME REGRET MY SGS3 PURCHASE!!!"

Those two different sentences convey two very different statements.

Yeah ok 1) is a personal preference. But 2) and 3) are clearly bugs which prohibit me from using the device for some of its primary smartphone functions.

I would call "phone plays sounds full blast through speaker while headphones are plugged in" a fatal flaw. I even googled it and found a long thread dating back several years, the last few posts indicate that it might be fixed in Jelly Bean: Issue 16667 - android - Notifications are played through external speaker when headphones are plugged in - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

I would also call "unable to effectively select text for editing in a browser" a fatal flaw as well. The previous poster said he experienced the same problem and recommended getting tapatalk instead.