Samsung Galaxy S3 Gripes

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't get lag playing games, video etc but really intermittently big lag on pressing home button - apps take an age to appear and absolutely nothing to see other than live wallpaper, screen gradually re-draws. Not what I expected from such a 'fast' phone - HTC desire didn't struggle! Yes, I've turned off S-Voice double press thing and I've got issues with some motion controls.

According to the video here (LINK) the international version just got an update that fixes this issue. The reviewer described a "re-draw lag" in going back to the homescreen that seems to have been addressed in samsungs update. In the video, he said this happened more when using the Deep Sea Live wallpaper and that with a static wallpaper is wasn't an issue. ...but after the update, he noticed almost no lag even with the deep sea wall paper.

I can only recommend things you may not want to change, but here it goes...

1) try using less widgets, or eliminating them 1 by 1 until you find the one or two that may be the culprit of your homescreen lag.

2) use a different wallpaper (simpler/darker the better). This will keep your CPU resources focused on the widgets over the backround. Oh and, darker was only suggested to improve battery life, so if that's not an issue i guess you can ignore that part.

other then that, double check to see that power save mode is not enabled when the redraw happens...this was the only time i saw the redraw and disabling the power save mode fixed it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cory Streater

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Phone master I am curious did turning the power save off help you with temple run?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

It seemed as though it did at first but actually went back to switching after about a minute of playing. I also downloaded grand theft auto to see if it was just temple run, but it also was glitchy while driving around the city. I'm not really a gamer just play to run the phone through its paces most of the time.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
try setting transition animations to 05 in developers menu

How does this make such a difference? I changed both settings to 05 and it made a huge speed difference! Lightning fast now. Wow! Why wouldn't the phone be set this way out of the box? Does it hurt anything to have it at 05??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

bojack72

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i dont like is after taking a picture, there is no share button to send in a text or email...you have to copy and paste, unless i am missing something.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i dont like is after taking a picture, there is no share button to send in a text or email...you have to copy and paste, unless i am missing something.

after taking a picture there is an icon of it in the lower left hand side of your screen in portrait mode or lower right hand side in landscape mode. when you click on the icon, it opens the picture in another screen. If you look at it in portrait mode, there is an icon at the top of the page that looks like a less than sign with dots on it. If you click on that, all of your sharing options come up. Next to the less than sign should be an icon of your most used or last used method of sharing. hope that helps

Reactions: bojack72

tasha_c

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok, hoping that this is a legit gripe thread, here are my main concerns (please bear with me as I am new to android after being with blackberry since 2005):

1) The battery life is terrible on this phone. Currently have to charge the phone as may times as my 9900 (2x/day). I've installed juice defender & have all the power saving options turned on. I did notice my cell standby takes up A LOT of my battery

2) The led notifications are spotty at best. Sometimes I'll get a blinking led notification when a message comes through or it'll be a solid light or it won't light up at all. I've missed more than a few messages (emails, whatsapp messages) because of this. I really miss my blackberry when it comes to notifications

3) The stock alarm clock widget doesn't work. I completely understand that I can just download an app for an alarm clock, but you would think that the widget is comes with would at least be able to wake me up. Thank goodness my internal clock was able to wake me up this morning

Anyways, I am a bit frustrated that the changeover from Blackberry to Android hasn't been as seamless as originally anticipated

anon(473434)

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Just go back to the i-phone. End of story!!

My ONLY gripe about Samsung (not the phone) is that I wish they would of given us BLACK headsets rather than the STUPID white ones!!! :mad:

Yea, they make it look like you have a iphone in your pocket..and I sure dont want people thinking that!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yea, they make it look like you have a iphone in your pocket..and I sure dont want people thinking that!

Exactly!! Especially with all the thefts going on over here in NYC over them (iphones), don't need that headache! I'm surprised Apple hasn't tried to patent that as well, lol....or have they?!?!? The white headsets should of gone with the white phone and a black pair of headsets with the blue phone!

cr105

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an atrix 2 the battery life isn't too bad. It feels like its running a little warm though doing minor things like checking out a few web sites.
My only other possible complaint is the home button on mine is flush with the phone itself. I'm not sure if I like that or want it to pop out a little. Loving the screen size!

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Dont know how you achieved that. Mine lives in my pocket sometimes with keys and spanners its been dropped a few times and 6 weeks on still looks like new.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk 2

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Coming from an atrix 2 the battery life isn't too bad. It feels like its running a little warm though doing minor things like checking out a few web sites.
My only other possible complaint is the home button on mine is flush with the phone itself. I'm not sure if I like that or want it to pop out a little. Loving the screen size!

Be happy its flush. I played with 2 of them, and the one with the button popped out was annoying. I liked the flush one better.

InkedAdrenaline

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Serious question here....

Does anyone wish they just got a galaxy nexus or razr maxx or any other of the top rated phones?

I currently have an iPhone 4s and was about to get a SG3 but now am a little weary as I thought this was a flawless phone...

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I will also concur that the GS3 does lag. The redrawing of the homescreen can be slow at times. When I play Dead Trigger with the settings on high, the phone lags on busy Zombie screens (a lot of shooting, zombies dying, etc. So much so, I wondered if sending it back and getting a G Nexus with JB wouldn't be a better option. I still have my GS2 from Sprint running a stock ICS leak and it does load quick a few apps, etc. faster than the GS3. I've noticed that the wifi is stronger on my GS2 as well. THESE ARE MY GRIPES!! By the way, my Powersave option is turned off. :p

Fyahstarter

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
How does this make such a difference? I changed both settings to 05 and it made a huge speed difference! Lightning fast now. Wow! Why wouldn't the phone be set this way out of the box? Does it hurt anything to have it at 05??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

You're not kidding. This thing is flying now. No placebo effect. But what are the adverse effects?

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
no lag here, nothing buy zzzzzzzzzzzzzzip!!

Same here. Mine has been nothing but speedy and super responsive. I am REALLY digging how well the capacitive buttons work. My Captivate was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd hit a button and nothing would register at all. Sometimes the button would light up, but did not function. Sometimes it would take 2 or 3 tries and a few seconds wait for anything to happen.

With the SGS III, the capacitive buttons have been 100% flawless. I just wish Touchwiz allowed multiple docks and customizable icons. I hate having just 5 items in my dock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20