Samsung Galaxy S3 Gripes

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hey, what format are you running on your S3? Are x264 formatted files running smoothly on your S3 or should we just stick to Xvid??

Everything on the phone runs smoothly minus games and keyboard. Videos play wonderfully scrolling taking photos everything acts as it should. Just for some reason playing games and keyboard is an issue.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
How would you respond to an onslaught of post attacking you as if you are a brand new android user. I made some comments on what I didn't like in an open forum and boom it was like world war 3 in here. That is just sad. This forum atmosphere is worse then crackberry and you all have no reason to be. This platform is doing very well with tons of developer support. Is it against forum rules to have complaints about a phone that I chose to use as my family driver. I've had complaints with the iPhone as well, my galaxy nexus, my note etc.

Come on now, you post in an android forum, bashing the #1 android phone to date with iPhone mentions/comparisons. What do you expect. Man up, you asked for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: mcm180

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Come on now, you post in an android forum, bashing the #1 android phone to date with iPhone mentions/comparisons. What do you expect. Man up, you asked for it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

Your wrong I didn't bash the phone. I stated gripes I have with it. I said the phone is now my main device and I love it actually. I guess you decided not to finish what I typed. I only mentioned the iPhone to give people an idea of what my old main device used be. I never said I hate this phone, android sucks, what was I thinking, although reading the replies you would think I did. So yes I was shocked at the responses I didn't feel anything I said warranted them.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I have noticed many people talk about lag on the S3.

I also had some lag on my S3, ....then i remembered i was using the powersave mode. :confused:

after I shut that...lag goes away.

Its a new phone, so things take some getting used to.

double check your settings and make sure you didnt make the same mistake as me :cool:

as for the negative attacks
I dont know why people feel the need to qualify their purchase by constantly stating that the S3 is "the best thing out there"... Threads like this are best kept on point to try to help the OP fix their problem. telling them how wrong they are doesn't help them fix anything. The S3 may be the best thing since pRon but everyone has a learning curve. I've had mine awhile now and I learn new stuff about it every day.

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Everything on the phone runs smoothly minus games and keyboard

I just installed and played a few levels of Temple Run, not a single instance of lag. Sorry I can't be of much help here other than to say I just tested it and am not getting any lag whatsoever. It ran very smooth and fluid and the tilted (accelerometer) worked beautifully. What lag are you having with the keyboard? I'm pretty perplexed how there would be any issue with the keyboard. I used the built in keyboard a bit and didn't see any lag either, but I soon changed to the keyboard apps I'd paid for - first Smart Keyboard and now Swiftkey 3.

Rev.

Reactions: mcm180

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Saying the word "iphone" in an android focused forum should not automatically cause anyone to get flamed.

If anybody here thinks the post is trolling you should report the post.

If it's not, and I don't think it is, then add to the discussion in a positive way or don't reply at all.

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey, what format are you running on your S3? Are x264 formatted files running smoothly on your S3 or should we just stick to Xvid??

I have several MP4, .MKV, xVid and DivX films loaded up. All play fine in the built in player except the MP4's which don't have audio. However, with MX Player you can set the audio for software rendering and leave the video for hardware rendering. That gets the audio playing fine for MP4's in MX Player, though you need to restart the video instead of choosing to resume to get the sound playing after turning on the software rendering.

Rev.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Everything on the phone runs smoothly minus games and keyboard. Videos play wonderfully scrolling taking photos everything acts as it should. Just for some reason playing games and keyboard is an issue.

I know it plays most files. I just want to know if anyone has specifically tested x264 files on their S3 and if its running smoothly or not. x264 files ran choppy on my old Epic 4G because they are resource intensive. Really made to run optimally on PC's. Regardless, I'll run some tests myself later this week and let you all know!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have several MP4, .MKV, xVid and DivX films loaded up. All play fine in the built in player except the MP4's which don't have audio. However, with MX Player you can set the audio for software rendering and leave the video for hardware rendering. That gets the audio playing fine for MP4's in MX Player, though you need to restart the video instead of choosing to resume to get the sound playing after turning on the software rendering.

Rev.

Have you tried any x264 files yet?? Thanks for your info!

I have Wrath of the Titans both in x264 (720p 1.42gb) and in Xvid (720p 2.87gb) at home on my PC. Haven't had the chance to run any tests yet thats why I'm asking. As you can see, I would LOVE to find out that the S3 plays x264 files smoothly as opposed to Xvid which are bigger in size.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Just go back to the i-phone. End of story!!

My ONLY gripe about Samsung (not the phone) is that I wish they would of given us BLACK headsets rather than the STUPID white ones!!! :mad:

Agreed the white clashes with the blurple, but they did give us some nice headsets though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Agreed the white clashes with the blurple, but they did give us some nice headsets though.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

YES, the headsets do sound wonderful thankfully!! Its nice that you can control the volume of media on the mic as well! Black would of been better though, lol!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
The only glitch that I have had in the two weeks that I have had my GS3 happened this morning when I tried to refresh the AccuWeather weather in my homescreens widget. It seems to keep spinning. I tried the AC app and it never seemed to come up. I don't know if it is a signal strength. Issue but when I restarted the device, the issue went away. I don't if this is an isolated incident or does this hiccup happen in Android devices too?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't slam him because he has owned another phone and is experiencing problems with this one....does anyone here have anything else useless to say to him? He is coming to you with his problems, address them accordingly!

My suggestion to him is take it back and see if you can get a trade in. When millions of phones are produced he could of got a dud. It happens. But the phone should be fine due to it having the latest hardware.

So OP try that before it's too late.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Android Central Forums

pcotton

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The original OP had a problem using Androids because he's inexperienced. We shouldn't be whaling on him, especially as he has admitted he's switched to the S3 permanently.

To the OP; You will find that the Touchwiz UI is a bit laggy. I suggest trying a custom rom closer to Vanilla ICS. Its not Google's fault, its Samsung with all its gimmicks and bloatware. I switched to AOKP after a week and have noticed a substantial performance improvement.

Sent from my Rooted S3 using AOKP

Reactions: phonejunky

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So I have now had my S3 for about a week now and feel I can put out some things an iPhone faithful doesn't like about it. I'm first a foremost an iPhone user (as my main phone). I have the Galaxy Note switched to it as my main driver thought it was the key to my small screen problems 3 days later said ahh like it could love it but not for me. I had Razr Maxx etc. and now I'm on the S3. This will be my main phone for now on, but here is my biggest gripe lag. This phone just lags all day. Now I aka over exaggerating a bit by saying all day but what I mean is mtg keyboard lags, playing games like Temple Run and racing games definitly lags anyone who questions me I'll make a quick video post it to YouTube for you because I know people will say nuh uh not mine you're lying blah blah blah. S Voice is terrible just terrible compared to Siri I'll make a video of that as well although there are plenty. Last gripe this SD Card bug why can't I save apps to my 64Gig SD Card what is going on with that b.s. besides all that I love it. It is now my main phone and will remain my main phone.

It appears most of if not all of your issues should be fixed w/ coming software updates or Jelly Bean (in a few months). You also may to read around here on tweaking for performance.

Here is the solution to the keyboard. Not cheap but if it helps well worth the price: iTap Keyboard https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=sixgreen.aos.itap&token=YC9L2a2Y

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: phonejunky
M

MSweetAngel36

That's not the norm here I assure you. If you find posts like this please use the report post button to alert the moderator team to it so we can take a look.
Since I access these forms on the mobile site, I am not finding the "flag". There is nothing in the corners of the posts on my screen. Where would I flag them on the mobile site?

Sankentris

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I was an iPhone peep as well, and got tired of the vanilla iPhone so I switched to the S3. I'm very happy with it but I too have some lag with Temple Run. It's not consistent, it happens randomly. I'm very new at the whole Android scene, and the back and forth between iOS and Android people is actually pretty humorous. I came to the forums to try and get a leg up on the learning curve, but so far I'm happy and staying with my S3. I have the new zombie shooter Dead Trigger and it runs fine. Haven't had issues with it. So far when I've experienced lag with the ICS I've just held the home key and killed off everything running and it usually goes back to it's lightning fast screens.

Only thing I've not been able to figure out is the weather channel app keeps an icon up at the top left in notifications like it's running all the time and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to kill it. The first night I had it I left it off the charger from full to see how it did and it went to 9% from 100% in about 8 hours of standby. Then I figured out all the bs I had running. Lot bigger learning curve than I thought but I enjoy it. Sure sucks to see people make the switch, voice an issue and get bashed like they called someones wife fat and their kids ugly.

/flame on

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol