Samsung Galaxy S3 Gripes

tasha_c

May 23, 2012
Visit site
How is your signal during the day? Do you have WiFi, GPS, and Data turned on? If 3G, 4G, Wifi, or GPS are on with a weak or non-existant signal, it will eat battery by constantly looking for the signals. My old Captivate would last 24 hours if sitting near a wifi router, but if I'd wander to an area with poor cell coverage and no Wifi, I'd be lucky to get 5 hours with minimal usage. I can't say for sure it's the same with the SGS III, but it sure made a difference on my last phone. If you're inside and not near wifi during the day, try turning off wifi and GPS and see if that makes any difference.

I've turned off WIFI & GPS and have all the power saving settings set to on plus have juice defender and app task killer running. Despite all of this, I am currently at 50% battery with 5h 39min & 46s on battery. I did a battery exchange yesterday hoping it will make a difference, but haven't noticed anything at all.

With my led notifications, I think it may be a whatsapp thing & not the phone. Sometimes I'll get the led will light up, but often times it doesn't. As a blackberry convert, I live for that damn light and just annoying that it doesn't always work.

Thanks for the tips re: battery :)

professorjay

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 gripes. The first being that in order to silence the phone I need to set the sound icon to silent AND set the default notification to silent. Shouldn't just setting the sound icon to silent suffice?

I agree. It should just universally mute everything. But if I accidentally hit the play button on my music widget it plays like normal and you still hear notifications. The only thing it mutes is the phone ringer. When you walk into a meeting you have to run through and make sure everything is turned down manually, very annoying.

And I'm having a hell of a time getting files to my phone. I haven't been able to get Kies to work wirelessly. And hooked up w/ USB it only works half the time. It took me a few minutes of repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the USB, plus rebooting the phone to eventually get it to work. Same w/ the Android File Transfer app on the Mac. Right now the quickest way is to just add stuff to my Dropbox and download to the phone because I know it will work the first time.

Also not crazy about the physical home button. Besides that the phone is pretty good.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. It should just universally mute everything. But if I accidentally hit the play button on my music widget it plays like normal and you still hear notifications. The only thing it mutes is the phone ringer. When you walk into a meeting you have to run through and make sure everything is turned down manually, very annoying.

And I'm having a hell of a time getting files to my phone. I haven't been able to get Kies to work wirelessly. And hooked up w/ USB it only works half the time. It took me a few minutes of repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the USB, plus rebooting the phone to eventually get it to work. Same w/ the Android File Transfer app on the Mac. Right now the quickest way is to just add stuff to my Dropbox and download to the phone because I know it will work the first time.

Also not crazy about the physical home button. Besides that the phone is pretty good.

I was having a hard time getting files to my phone from PC (Win XP) as well but when I installed Kies software, seems like all the right drivers were loaded and now have no problem accessing BOTH storage spaces (Phone and SDcard). I don't use kies software to manage my files either.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
My menu button, when lit up, is noticeably dimmer than the back button. It also looks like half of the menu button is dimmer than the other half. Anybody else notice this?

I have a 16gb blue on Verizon.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
my gripes are the less than great signal sensitivity . It seems to loose 4g signal and not lock back on for what seems to be an extended period of time. The switching between wifi and 4g is not very dependable. I woke up in my own house with a wifi going and the phone was on 4g. Had to switch wifi off then on to get it to go to wifi

chappo2000

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 gripes. The first being that in order to silence the phone I need to set the sound icon to silent AND set the default notification to silent. Shouldn't just setting the sound icon to silent suffice? Silly.

Try the "Simple Sound Profile Widget." It's a 1x1 widget which allows you to customize various sound profiles with differing volumes for Ringer/Notification/Media.

I highly recommend it.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
plus have juice defender and app task killer running.

For the love of God, get rid of your stupid task killer. That'll probably help. They haven't been needed since Froyo....like 3 versions ago (4 if you count Jelly Bean).

For myself, I gave the phone a week in order to get used to it and customize it a bit to my likings.

I'm loving the phone, but am having a couple issues with some physical things...like when I turn on the phone using the power button on the right-side, my fingers hit the volume buttons on the opposite side. I've been trying to get into the habit of using the bottom/home button to turn it on.

The other issue (and it's minor) is that the volume buttons are very sensitive compared to my old Evo 4G. Just getting it in and out of my pocket I'm hitting the buttons. I also set the phone in the center cupholder of my car, and just the motion of the car causes the phone to rub against the sides of the cupholder and it activates the volume buttons. Wish they were a little "stiffer" and hard to press (like the center/home button is).

Granted, the cupholder issue will be solved when I get my mount in a couple of days, but I'm worried again that just putting the phone in and out of the mount will cause me to be pressing the buttons. Guess we'll see.

Almost everything else I'm running up against is software related that I've been able to fix with alternative apps or launchers.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Try the "Simple Sound Profile Widget." It's a 1x1 widget which allows you to customize various sound profiles with differing volumes for Ringer/Notification/Media.

I highly recommend it.

Our they can try the app Shush!.

It works very well, and you can set your phone to be quiet for a set period of time you choose (in 15 minute increments).

Sent from my US Cellular Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk

professorjay

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the tips! I tried both Shush! and the Simple Sound Profile Widget and opted for the widget. Works as expected.

I just wish I didn't have to install something extra just for muting my phone properly...

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
my only gripe Is that the palm swipe to capture doesn't work at all. Other motion gimmicks do, and it's turned on but I just can't get it to work anywhere. I switched back to touchwiz from apex and it still didn't solve it :(. o well, hardware buttons it is.

oh and for the people crying about the keyboard, buy SwiftKey and be done with it.

p. s. apex FTW.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Palm swipe does work. Used it multiple times. Just make sure you use the side of your palm & swipe firmly.

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody.

My two gripes are the keyboard, and the native email client (not gmail).

The stock keyboard on my GS2 Skyrocket was much more fluid, and the predictive text was better IMO. I am now using SwiftKey and pleasantly surprised how nicely it works.

The native email client is horrible! Again, it was much better on the GS2. For starters when opening up an email (hotmail) with images, they don't display. Now I know they usually don't automatically display but you do get a show images and always show from this sender options, but it doesn't in this client. You can scroll down to the bottom of the email and click on the Load more details button, and only then the images will load. I have to do this every single time. I have ensured that the display images option in the settings is checked off. Am I missing something here or is this how it's going to be unless I use a third party email client for hotmail?

Oh and I almost forgot, what's up with the emails not fitting to screen by default? That's a downer as well!

These aren't major gripes but am dissapointed that the previous iterations were, ulitmately, better than the ones in the GS3.

I love this phone though, am happy I got it, and am having fun learning something new every day.

Re show images in email client. Go to settings in email client. Select each email account listed & enable show images.

davidlnewman

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The silent widget does the trick! Good tip. The other complaints I have are using the standard email for more than one account (exchange for work and pop for other). It shows the number of combined unread emails on each of the 2 widgets (one for each email account) on my home screen instead of the number of unread emails in each account on the appropriate widget. Silly and useless, imho.

And the Smart Stay seems useless to me. Has never worked.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Yawn, literally. I'm using my Bold 9900, gets the job done as far as email, text, and calls. I use it on occasion to browse the web and Facebook. I will hold off until October or so to get the SIII (Tmo) but who knows what will be out then. The reason I'm holding off is because the price will probably drop a bit and my contract isn't up until next year this time regardless. But going back to the op. why is everyone getting so mad, the title says "Samsung Galaxy S3 Gripes," he's obviously gong to tell what he doesn't like about the phone. He said it's slow, lags, whatever. He didn't ask you to fix it. All he said was it was slow. That's his experience with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Yawn, literally. I'm using my Bold 9900, gets the job done as far as email, text, and calls. I use it on occasion to browse the web and Facebook. I will hold off until October or so to get the SIII (Tmo) but who knows what will be out then. The reason I'm holding off is because the price will probably drop a bit and my contract isn't up until next year this time regardless. But going back to the op. why is everyone getting so mad, the title says "Samsung Galaxy S3 Gripes," he's obviously gong to tell what he doesn't like about the phone. He said it's slow, lags, whatever. He didn't ask you to fix it. All he said was it was slow. That's his experience with it.

Ironic that your post is just as pointless as people getting mad at the OP's experience.

Reactions: 20blks

Rapta619

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Palm swipe does work. Used it multiple times. Just make sure you use the side of your palm & swipe firmly.

I don't mean it doesn't work for you or anyone else, just not me. I I took it to Verizon for kicks and they said basically I'm sol. oh well.

As for SwiftKey, dude, take the tin foil hat off. Until I see them using it against us, I don't care what they "see" me text. It's not like they charge per word. now that they "saw" me write that maby the next update they will implement that. oh well, some one has to beat Verizon to it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

losino

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
So everyone who shares negative experiences or is not giving this phone the highest praise is an iPhone fanboy or their post is deemed worthless. OK. Gotcha

tapin4par

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
The native music player sounds tinny on some days when using headphones. Sometimes pausing it and playing again fixes, and sometimes it doesn't.
Anyone else see this?

I have other music players winamp and sensor music that don't do this, but I like the music square feature on the stock music player.

gordonzhao

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ironic that your post is just as pointless as people getting mad at the OP's experience.

Even more ironically your post shouldn't have been posted to begin with. I was sharing my two cents as to why people shouldn't get so worked up, your sitting there bashing me for being civil.

On second thought your post is fine, it reassures me that incompetence still exists.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylorhudson5670