07-05-2012 10:55 PM
    Even if it is better I wouldn't get it, but I just want my s3 to be better. I hear it will be aluminum and have a big display too. Idk if those are true but do you guys think the s3 will be better?
    From what I've read about iOS 6 and the leaked pics of the new iPhone, it will barely be as nice as the GSII.

sent from my forbidden gnex
    07-05-2012 10:58 PM
    Heard the screen will be almost an inch smaller than the GS3. The i5 will have the quadcore processor of the international version but will support LTE. This is a little funny since we have been told that the US GS3 version has a dualcore since the quadcore will not support LTE. The Korean GS3 version has the quadcore that supports LTE. The GS3 will still have advantages such as expandable memory and a removable battery as well as a much more customizable user interface.
    Thechocowarrior likes this.
    07-05-2012 11:06 PM
    Faster processor, different build material, and 4" screen, as soon as i heard the 4" screen I was underwhelmed and decided to go back to android and try the s3. if i break down after release my sister said she would take the s3 and let me use her upgrade for the iphone so i keep my unlimited data so either way i'm safe
    07-05-2012 11:12 PM
    Even if it is better I wouldn't get it, but I just want my s3 to be better. I hear it will be aluminum and have a big display too. Idk if those are true but do you guys think the s3 will be better?
    Features of iOS6 didn't give many people a great feeling at WWDC 12. Most features of any significance are playing catch up and copying ICS, GB and Froyo features. I mean iOS is finally getting turn by turn navigation. 'Amazing and new' oh my. Other features like 'VIP Mail' aka 'Priority Inbox' on gmail is now in iOS6. Basically, turn by turn nav is the only big feature of the new OS.

As for the iPhone. Lots of guessing, but no one really knows. Leaked pictures show a smaller connector, possibly NFC, a 4" 16:9 screen and possibly the same CPU as the int'l version of the S3, but like the Korean version of the S3, with LTE capability. Brushed aluminum or glass for the body is likely, with liquid metal a remote possibility.
    The new iPhone will be quick, probably same battery life as now, even with the bigger screen, since the new 32nm process for making the A6 CPU results in a more power efficient and 41% smaller cpu, not to mention software optimization of the OS and hardware combination. Not sure if the screen will be IGZO or IPS, but if it is IGZO that means an even lighter and more power efficient phone, plus even greater ppi than the current iphone.
    07-05-2012 11:14 PM
    How can you forget the most anticipated feature of the planet: Siri will now be able to open apps! How cool is that? Take that Android... er, wait, android has that already? And S-Voice can take pictures when you say "cheese!"? But how when iPhoney is innovative?
    07-05-2012 11:47 PM
    Where are you guys reading that the iphone will have a quad core lte?
    just curious, i dont normally follow apple news
    TIA
    07-05-2012 11:56 PM
    07-05-2012 11:57 PM
    Where are you guys reading that the iphone will have a quad core lte?
    just curious, i dont normally follow apple news
    TIA
    Lots of sites just guessing. They xrayed the AppleTV 3's cpu and found a dual core chip, with one of the cores abandoned, but I believe it was using the 32nm k-gate Samsung model. This finding ties in nicely to this theory... If Samsung supplies the Xyenos chip for Apple to rebrand as A6, it is more likely than not to be a quadcore and LTE. For Apple to stick with a dualcore chips??? Well, that would be one of the dumbest moves by Tim Cook.
    07-06-2012 12:50 AM
    I hope it beats the pants off the S3, so when my contract is up on my S3 I'll be able to get a new phone 10x better. Strong competition benefits the consumer! (I just really wish people would stop comparing the current Iphone to the S3... Iphone isn't even in the same Galaxy)
    WesR6 likes this.
    07-06-2012 01:16 AM
    Yeah...Iphone wont comapre S3 wins that battle just like the S2 won last year
    07-06-2012 07:28 AM
    I'm sure the hardware will be good and there will be media hype out the wazoo (iPhone in article title -> ????? -> Profit!) and people will be lined up around the block for it and they'll sell a gazillion of them and we'll have to suffer through commercials with Zooey Deschanell that boil down to "All of these features Android has had for years....on the best iPhone yet"

But it'll still be running iOS, so it's a non-starter for me and I imagine most people here. And we all already know what iOS6 has in it (and what it doesn't), so no surprises there. They can take iOS6 and put it in awesome hardware, and it'll still be iOS6, so the hardware will be limited by the OS.
    Thechocowarrior likes this.
    07-06-2012 10:17 AM
    The iPhone is always a great piece of hardware. It is never really top of the line as far as a processor goes, but it will have (I'm guessing) a camera second only to the Pureview, and top of the line display.

None of this matters because iOS is now at least a year behind Android development wise. No widgets? No home screen customization? Siri is blown away by Google Now. Getting rid of Google Maps? Any errant thought I had about ever switching was killed by the completely uninteresting iOS 6 preview.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-06-2012 11:33 AM
    Who cares!!
    07-06-2012 11:55 AM
    It's hard to say, I think if it is better it will only be mildly better than the S3, but by then it will also likely be 4 months newer. It will really depend on what you're looking for, but as far as features go IOS 6 is falling behind and still will be behind Android. The hardware will probably be top notch, as that's the one thing I feel Apple really is good at (not counting marketing, marketing, marketing), putting together good components, but obviously you are paying extra in most cases, even with the subsidized prices. It's very clear to me that Apple is resting on it's laurels and instead of really innovating like the used to (that's even debatable) they are just pushing up small incremental upgrades and people are buying for the name, not the specs. The S3 is really putting up a good alternative so maybe Apple will step up it's game this time around.

Another pro I find for Iphones are the proprietary design means tons of 3rd party accessories. The Galaxy S line is starting to cater towards this since it is having such a wide release and even some accessories that work for the s and s2 will be backwards compatible as well.

I was interested in the new Iphone, but then I realized it probably won't be much better than the S3, if it is at all, and the S3 is out now. On top of that, the screen will always be bigger and Android will still have more features. I don't mean this as a jab, but if you want a small simple phone, most women I know do, then I would recommend the Iphone without hesitation. Women love name brand things, and the Iphone and the Apple logo has practically become a designer name. Also, if gimmicks (Siri) interest you, as it is the biggest update for Iphone 4s. If you want something that's probably better all around and is capable of just about anything a phone can do then I'd stick with the S3 or the top Android device.

That's the one thing I love about AC, it's very civil when it comes to talking about competitors and it seems like there is actual logic behind discussions about Apple, whereas you go to 9to5 Mac and everyone is just so angry and hateful towards anything not Apple that you can tell it clouds their judgement. They have a very narrow minded way of looking at things over there I've noticed.
    07-06-2012 12:26 PM
    ^^ Well said. Although this forum has seemed to have gotten hostile lately to anyone who dare suggests Android has any issues.

I have no doubts the hardware will be great, and the iPhone 5 will probably have a great camera (the 4S's camera is still the standard most people compare phone cameras to), and the accessories thing is something to consider....I doubt we'll ever see a dedicated "Android phone accessories and docks and alarm clocks" aisle in Target like you do for the iPhone....too much variety.

But as you pointed out, iOS is pretty behind right now from a functionality perspective (even with simple everyday things), and software makes the phone. I personally feel there's been a fundamental shift in perspective at how great Apple and it's products are, both from the public and from the media, but maybe it's just my imagination. Granted, it's still the media darling, but the seeds are laid. Lackluster iOS5 and now iOS6, the iPhone 4S, and the new iPad....all minor upgrades that (IMO) reek of trying to catch-up, and of course now they're talking about a smaller iPad to compete with the Fire and Nexus 7 (which also reeks of catch-up). iPhone 5 needs to hit out of the park to not be seen as another catch-up or minor upgrade, and a small screen size increase is not going to cut it. Not that it probably matters since it'll have an Apple logo on it.

But again, we already know what iOS6 offers, so there won't be many surprises from the software side, so throwing hardware at it (even if the camera or screen is great) isn't going to change opinion towards it.
    07-06-2012 12:41 PM
    , but obviously you are paying extra in most cases, even with the subsidized prices.
    Actually the RRP for both phones is exactly the same 16gb, 32gb and 64gb S3 prices the same as iPhone.
    07-09-2012 11:12 PM
    What exactly can the s3 do that iOS 6 can't?
    07-09-2012 11:35 PM
    Stay awake and the cool text to call are some things that ios6 will never do. And also widgets and not relying on itunes for almost everything. The ability to add ring tones and notifications at will. I can go on and on. You would have to jailbreak it to make it a fair fight. And also ios is just ugly and boring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    07-09-2012 11:43 PM
    I think the iPhone will be quad-core with LTE. The reason why the GS3 model in Korea has LTE with Quad Core is because the LTE radio is separate from the processor. The Dual Proc model in the US and Canada has the LTE Radio embedded in the processor. Why Samsung did not make the Quad Core w/LTE model for North America I don't know. Maybe they saved the best model for their own country.
    07-10-2012 01:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD