My quick impressions

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer - I do NOT have he phone. This is just based on a hands on with the Sprint GS3 in a store. I compared it to a Galaxy Nexus which was next to it, as well as my Evo 4G running the latest CM9 nightly.

A few things which are common in all 3 phones - running Android 4.0. Same Sprint network.

So the bad news first - I was not blown away, and it did not feel like a massive upgrade from my phone. Read on for my final conclusion.

The bad - Touchwiz is huge. As in huge fonts, lists and controls, which seem entirly too big on that screen. I've seen plenty of reviews on the internet, using it is very different. They had 2 phones, and one of them kept redrawing TW on going home, even after I killed all the apps and there was plenty of free ram.

There is a very noticeable lag when you press Home, even after I turned off 'double tap to start S Voice'. I'd say its 300-400ms, and is quite annoying, compared to the instant response on both my Evo and the Nexus. Same lag when you wan to open recent apps.

There are some issues with touch sensitivity, I had to tap a few controls more than once. This may be a dirty screen or just my fat fingers.

The good - amazing feel, light and fits perfectly in my hand. GPS lock was instant and accurate to 3m, much better than both Evo and Nexus, and faster. It's a much faster phone, obvious when launching an app like Maps. The camera is great, I tested the video pip feature with a recorded video and there were no slowdowns. All the screen issues are overblown, its amazing.

I was really excited for the GS3 before, and I still want to get it, but I'm also seriously considering just waiting for the next Nexus phone, since there is some doubt about AOSP rom's ever working on US CDMA versions (no RIL), and JellyBean is a game changer.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you happen to notice if powersave mode was enabled? that is the only time I ever get the type of lag you are describing on the s3

just wondering