Galaxy S3 Lockscreen

DCSprintUser

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to configure my Galaxy S3 lock screen to always require a swipe unlock when turning on the screen, but also require a PIN unlock after a certain period of time. With the built in functionality, I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm either forced to always enter the PIN, or have the screen completely unlock with just hitting the power button (rather than always require a swipe).

Any suggestions on config or possible other apps?

dmoney17

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to configure my Galaxy S3 lock screen to always require a swipe unlock when turning on the screen, but also require a PIN unlock after a certain period of time. With the built in functionality, I haven't been able to figure it out. I'm either forced to always enter the PIN, or have the screen completely unlock with just hitting the power button (rather than always require a swipe).

Look at WidgetLocker app and see if that might fit your needs.

DCSprintUser

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, basically. Most of the other phones I've had in the past operated this way by default (EVO 4G, for example). Regardless of PIN/password, a swipe was always required to unlock the screen. After a set amount of time, a PIN would also be required.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Go to Settings, Security

The "Screen lock" is at the top of that page under the Screen Security heading. Use that to set your unlock pattern or pin.

Below that check the box next to "With swipe lock" to require a swipe when you unlock the phone (although I found that to be redundant)

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Hmm it looks like the settings are there, at least with pattern unlock.

if you set a pattern and assume a PIN works as well and then check "With Swipe lock" it should work. you just need to uncheck "lock Instantly with power key" and adjust the timeout in "lock automatically".

So with it set up like this I can lock the screen or have it time out and come back within my allotted timeout period and only be required to slide to unlock.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, that isn't what I'm looking for. With that setting, you get both together everytime. I don't think it's possible on the stock OS.

You want it so that if the phone is left alone for, say 1 hr.. a PIN is required. But if you just used it, put it down for 1 minute, and try to unlock it, no PIN, right?

I don't have mine yet(should be here Monday) but thats how I have it set on my HTC Incredible, and that would definitely be a pain in the ass if it requires a PIN every time regardless of how long its been locked. Sometimes I'll put my phone down real quick to do something .. I definitely don't want it asking me my PIN every single time I leave it alone

DCSprintUser

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Basically, except I'd like it to require a swipe to unlock just to protect from turning on in the pocket or something due to hitting power button prior to a full timeout PIN lock.

rdandy5875

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
+1 on this thread basically if you want to swipe you must also use pattern/pin. Big gripe...I want always have to swipe to unlock, but only require pattern after a set time.

ddejeu

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I had the same frustration coming from a Stupid Incredible running cyanogenmod. I checked out widgetlocker like dmoney17 suggested. It gets rid of the cool gs3 lock screen but it does exactly what I wanted! Great suggestion!

macbsk

May 20, 2012
Visit site

I am having the same issue on my s3 Verizon version... I tested out every feature in settings and it didn't work. I mirror my settings with my friend's s3 on AT&T and his does this feature where his lock screen comes after pressing lock button with pattern lock option selected but pattern is not required until after 5 mins for automically.

CaneToad

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine uses swipe with a pin if it's off longer than 10 minutes.
Make sure to turn off lock instantly with power button.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issue on my s3 Verizon version... I tested out every feature in settings and it didn't work. I mirror my settings with my friend's s3 on AT&T and his does this feature where his lock screen comes after pressing lock button with pattern lock option selected but pattern is not required until after 5 mins for automically.

I'm guessing this is a bug on the VZ version.

I downloaded WidgetLocker, and it's awesome. I really wanted to be able to toggle silent mode from the lockscreen and now I can do that.

snork

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing this is a bug on the VZ version.

I downloaded WidgetLocker, and it's awesome. I really wanted to be able to toggle silent mode from the lockscreen and now I can do that.

Widget locker is awesome. I use it and highly recommend it if you're looking to completely customize your lock screen, but you can do what you are asking without it, saving you $3

All you have to do is setup a swipe pattern, set a lock time and disable lock whenever the power button is pressed and voila.

TonyXL

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
All you have to do is setup a swipe pattern, set a lock time and disable lock whenever the power button is pressed and voila.

If you do this (on the VZ version), turn the phone off, then on again (before the time limit expires), you are at the home screen instead of the unlock screen.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci