Can someone explain to me how both SD cards work at the same time

zizour10

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I can't seem to understand how the SD cards work on the S3. I am importing my music (using spotify) and it is filling up the phone's storage quickly, while my SD card still has over 20 gigs of space. Is this ok? I can't seem to navigate which programs download to which SD card..

cellman#CB

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can someone explain to me how both SD cards work at the same

Yeah - kind of having the same issue. It seems that Chrome and any photos saved from the stock txt messaging app automatically save to the internal memory. I can't seem to find any setting to change this to save everything to the external SD card.

jppowers

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Can someone explain to me how both SD cards work at the same

Some apps aren't designed to work with storage the way the SGS3 does.

If you root, you can use a file exploring app to see that in /mnt (where storage gets "mounted"), there is a "sdcard" folder, and a "extSdCard" folder. Ext for "external." Samsung is treating the external SD card, or the MicroSD card you put in, as something different. Most all apps are hard-coded to save to /mnt/sdcard, which is the SGS3's "internal" storage.

It's a strange method, to say the least, and outside of waiting for apps to update and support Samsung's storage method, or a root app to create symlinks on the internal storage and moving the files to the microsd card specifically for the SGS3, it's unlikely you'll get a fix any time soon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21