Music Squares - Anyone Get Them to Work

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I posted this in the Verizon forum, but I've not been able to get Music Squares to work at all. I've got music both on my SD card, and on the internal phone memory, and none of the squares work. I've hit the settings -> Update Library option, and it tells me it 'updates' and then it stops, and still nothing.

Curious if anyone else is having this issue, or you who you got it to work? Does it just take time for the phone to categorize the tunes? I've got a 64 gig card full of music, plus some additional ones on the phone itself, so curious if maybe I just have overloaded it with too much?

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It is a playlist generated, where the phone analyzes your music and scores it by mood and beat, to create consistent moods. Apparently it does a pretty good job of it, I can't get mine to work though. It is in the stock music player.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
my squares work however I'm not on Verizon. It does seem to work pretty well as far as I've been able to tell.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Thought I would bump this thread. Anyone else having an issue with Music Squares not working? I've got tunes on my SD Card and on the actual phone memory, and have done the 'update library' option multiple tunes, and nada.

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that "music squares" only works if your music is stored on the internal memory, NOT on an SD card. All of my 25gb of music is on my SD card, so "music squares" does not work for me.

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that "music squares" only works if your music is stored on the internal memory, NOT on an SD card. All of my 25gb of music is on my SD card, so "music squares" does not work for me.

that would explain why its only playing my amazon purchased music! The rest is all on an SD card.

The more you know

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
i still can't get it to work with either my SD card music, or music on the phone.

I have a call into Samsung support though....the first agent argued with me over and over that it's not something Samsung did, and I need to contact the maker of the app (insisted it was from the Google Play Store). After several minutes of arguing, and I finally pointed her to Samsung's website where it mentions the feature (and in the instruction manual) she believed me and gave me to 2nd level tech support, who was also unable to help, and said someone would call me back....

Still nada

ChapStick Assassin

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Y'all doing something wrong then, cause I have a Verizon S3 AND all of my songs are on my 32GB SD card. And YES music squares is excellent, I use it all the time now. I swipe single boxes, groups of boxes, an entire row, etc. it's always on point for me! The custom EQ and settings also working great.

Not sure if it matters but, I put a folder on the root directory and named it 'Music' with an capital 'M' like most music programs would. I drop whatever I want to listen to in that folder as-is, then I let Music Squares take it's time to analyze, DONE!

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I've done both of those and still nada. Maybe I should do a factory reset? Really hate to go that route. I did see on sad that a few people thought the defect may have to do with the size of the music library. That if you used a 64 gig card it was too much for music library to handle. Anyone with a 64 Gig card also having an issue with the music squares?

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I have about 20 gigs of music on the SD card and music squares doesn't seem to find any of it, even after I hit Library Update.

They were already in a folder marked "Music"

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
That if you used a 64 gig card it was too much for music library to handle. Anyone with a 64 Gig card also having an issue with the music squares?
I do have a 64GB card but I don't have any music so I won't be any help from that aspect. It did get me thinking, though, that perhaps you're having a problem with how the SDCard is formatted. There's another thread about someone having problems with music and the default file system - once they reformatted to FAT32 the problems went away. Might be worth a shot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I do have a 64GB card but I don't have any music so I won't be any help from that aspect. It did get me thinking, though, that perhaps you're having a problem with how the SDCard is formatted. There's another thread about someone having problems with music and the default file system - once they reformatted to FAT32 the problems went away. Might be worth a shot.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe i'll try that....my card was formatted by my old RAZR, so maybe I'll redo and format with the S3, see if that makes it happy.

Course, all the music that is stored on the actual device is also not being picked up by the Music Squares (but are playable from the artist and album lists), so who knows.

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
It's your music types that are causing the problem. Most of my music was from ITunes and was recognized by the player but NOT music squares. I reloaded with only MP3s and everything is recognized fine. Apparently music squares doesn't work with iTunes aac tracks.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It's your music types that are causing the problem. Most of my music was from ITunes and was recognized by the player but NOT music squares. I reloaded with only MP3s and everything is recognized fine. Apparently music squares doesn't work with iTunes aac tracks.

I have some iTunes bought tracks...but majority are MP3 files, some from Amazon store, some ripped from my own CDs....so that's not the cause either...unless you are saying that since I have a few iTunes tracks in my player it's screwing up everything?

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Like I said music squares doesn't like ITunes. Try just Mp3s and see what happens.

Right, but are you saying that the presence of any iTunes tracks on the device will cause Music Squares not to work?

as a test i removed my sd card, and then used only the music files on the phone itself (all mp3s). still won't work though. I think I'm just giving up at this point....