Music Squares - Anyone Get Them to Work

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
It was working when I had about 8GBs on the phone's memory however I transfered about 20GB on a 32GB card and the squares are no longer working. I've removed all non MP3 files and any other fles except for some jpg with album art.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
It was working when I had about 8GBs on the phone's memory however I transfered about 20GB on a 32GB card and the squares are no longer working. I've removed all non MP3 files and any other fles except for some jpg with album art.

THey had an issue on XDA where they were saying that too many files overloads Music Squares (a theory at least), and that's what I'm wondering could be my issue, since I've got probably 70 gigs of music between card and phone. They were saying at a certain point, it just started to fail, and the hunch was that it was related to size of the library.

bassmig

May 25, 2012
Visit site
So then the theoritcal limit is somewhere between 8GB and 20GB...I could drop some of my files if that would mean using music squares to try it out. We need input of people who have it working (or not) somewhere between that.

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So, I have an update. I got them to work. (sorta)

After emailing Samsung Support for help (they told me I had to go to SamsungApps.com for help), not being able to find anywhere to email questions on SamsungApps.com, using a webchat service for 20 minutes to find out "we don't support Music Squares on webchat", to calling in to get a level 1 tech saying "there is no music squares, it's a third party app, stop telling me it's Samsung supported", to finally spending 45 mnutes to get to a level II tech, and then spending 45 minutes with him not being able to fix this (he was really nice, and tried, but was never trained on Music Squares), I finally figured it out myself.

1.) Moved all music from phone to external SD Card
2.) Turned Phone off
3.) removed battery, removed SD Card
4.) inserted battery, rebooted phone
5.) Force Stopped Music Player
6.) Cleared Data in Music Player
7.) While phone still on, i put the SD Card back into phone
8.) Opened Music Player, and then went to Music Squares

At that point, the device instantly started to update music squares. At first it would only do like 200 songs, then a second update brought in more songs, and a third update brought in quite a few additional ones. . Using PLayer Pro I know I have close to 7,500 songs on the phone, but if I click on every square I get 2,006 songs. So not all the songs are being captured (but certainly more than the zero I had before).

So to recap:

1.) Mix of itunes purchased songs and Amazon purchased or ripped MP3s are in Music Squares
2.) Was able to get my SD Card (64 gig) to load them up. Using Player Pro I see that I've got 7,500 songs in total on my device, so definitely not all of them are in the squares though.
3.) Songs are on the card, so they don't have to be on the internal memory.
4.) Can't get anything new to 'update' into the Squares, so looks like I"m stuck with the 2,006 for now

Hope that helps any others trying. It was really blind luck, I was trying to do a different route, and this worked unexpectedly, at least partially! :)

Last edited:

rajamar

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So, I have an update. I got them to work. (sorta)

After emailing Samsung Support for help (they told me I had to go to SamsungApps.com for help), not being able to find anywhere to email questions on SamsungApps.com, using a webchat service for 20 minutes to find out "we don't support Music Squares on webchat", to calling in to get a level 1 tech saying "there is no music squares, it's a third party app, stop telling me it's Samsung supported", to finally spending 45 mnutes to get to a level II tech, and then spending 45 minutes with him not being able to fix this (he was really nice, and tried, but was never trained on Music Squares), I finally figured it out myself.

1.) Moved all music from phone to external SD Card
2.) Turned Phone off
3.) removed battery, removed SD Card
4.) inserted battery, rebooted phone
5.) Force Stopped Music Player
6.) Cleared Data in Music Player
7.) While phone still on, i put the SD Card back into phone
8.) Opened Music Player, and then went to Music Squares

At that point, the device instantly started to update music squares. At first it would only do like 200 songs, then a second update brought in more songs, and a third update brought in quite a few additional ones. . Using PLayer Pro I know I have close to 7,500 songs on the phone, but if I click on every square I get 2,006 songs. So not all the songs are being captured (but certainly more than the zero I had before).

So to recap:

1.) Mix of itunes purchased songs and Amazon purchased or ripped MP3s are in Music Squares
2.) Was able to get my SD Card (64 gig) to load them up. Using Player Pro I see that I've got 7,500 songs in total on my device, so definitely not all of them are in the squares though.
3.) Songs are on the card, so they don't have to be on the internal memory.
4.) Can't get anything new to 'update' into the Squares, so looks like I"m stuck with the 2,006 for now

Hope that helps any others trying. It was really blind luck, I was trying to do a different route, and this worked unexpectedly, at least partially! :)

Mikest

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
That seems like a lot of work with minimal reward but if you got it to work and it helps others thats fantastic.

walcolm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Just tried music square after reading this thread. All I did was click settings and told it to update. Clicking any square plays music from my library

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
That seems like a lot of work with minimal reward but if you got it to work and it helps others thats fantastic.

I agree, and it was a very incomplete fix. But it's an improvement from them not working at all.

The sad thing is, Samsung is unable to support there own software, and I know alot of people have had problems getting them to work beyond me. Don't even know how this sequence worked....and I'm unable to get any music new to the device to update to the squares since that initial batch went through. Just hope Samsung manages to fix this, so everyone can use the functionality.

Nancer419

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I just recently loaded my music to my S3 internal storage and wondered what the deal with the music square was. Just did the library update suggested, and it works great! Who thinks this stuff up?!

Sargasso

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Similar to above I have about 5000 songs on a 64gb SD card. Squares works as designed once I update (scan) library. The biggest problem for me is the lack of AAC support. More than half the songs are AAC and since I'm using match that number is always increasing as I refresh from older mp3s to new 256kbps AAC. The day will come when all 5000+ have been converted and squares will not work at all. Please add support for AAC.

timothysc1963

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded my music collection to ext card (32 gig) and had problems with music squares not working. I've followed the previous instructions and still no luck. Only difference with my phone, Samsung Rugby Pro you can not remove the card without removing the battery and cannot replace the card with the battery installed. I still get the same message that there are not enough files to update the library. I currently have around 1200 songs downloaded mostly MP3 via windows media player..

jtterbug

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
My Music Square never worked. I finally got curious today to find out what it was. Looking at Rajamars steps taken to get it to work, my music files were all on my micro SD card to begin with so I just did 2 things: Force Stop my music player then cleared the data. Finally I can enjoy the App! TY

nexxco

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is new (I'm on android 4.1.1), but I recently discovered that if you go to the music square tab you can choose from the menu (left capacitive button beside home key) "Library Update"... That just saved me a lot of work... I didn't want to go through the hassle of transferring all my files and restarting device and clearing data.

Chris mcknight

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I got minds to work with no problems. All I did was hit update library

- - - Updated - - -

I got minds to work with no problems. All I did was hit update library

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad