09-24-2012 02:05 PM
34 12
tools
    Is it me our does this phone charge extremely slow? My iPad charges at almost the same rate if not faster. I'm looking into that BlackBerry Premium charger AC sells. They say it works with the galaxy s3 but I was wondering if any of you had any experience with it
    07-07-2012 02:52 AM
    Really slow. Am using the charger that came with the box. Wondering if it has got to do with the charger current.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    07-07-2012 03:35 AM
    Yeah. Very slow. 3hrs max. Even my BlackBerry Bold 9900 charges faster.
    07-07-2012 05:33 AM
    Mine charges in a hour when using the wall charger.
    07-07-2012 06:03 AM
    Yeah I was thinking it was fast...went from 15% to 80% just now in about 45 minutes charging time - using the wall charger that came with it.
    07-07-2012 09:16 AM
    Don't forget too that the battery in the SGS3 is larger than other phone batteries... and that can contribute to what seems like longer charging times.
    07-07-2012 09:27 AM
    I noticed when it says charging complete unplug phone, if you unplug it and plug it back in immediately it charges for another 10 minutes. Does this signify something?
    07-07-2012 01:10 PM
    I have the same size battery in the gnex and it does seem like the s3 takes longer to charge.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2
    07-07-2012 01:25 PM
    The s3 has a huge battery. The first 85 to 90% will fast charge, then it will trickle charge the rest. All good chargers do the same, it is the last part of the charging cycle that takes forever. Most manuals will tell you a full charge takes 8 hours.

The best way to charge is to run totally flat until it refuses to switch on. Then leave off and charge over night.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Roboticz likes this.
    07-07-2012 01:28 PM
    The s3 has a huge battery. The first 85 to 90% will fast charge, then it will trickle charge the rest. All good chargers do the same, it is the last part of the charging cycle that takes forever. Most manuals will tell you a full charge takes 8 hours.

The best way to charge is to run totally flat until it refuses to switch on. Then leave off and charge over night.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Does anyone know if you can use other chargers to charge the S-3, I have one from the.Atrix2 and one from a Samsung S-2.
    07-07-2012 01:33 PM
    Now adays as long as the USB piece fits u can use any charger

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk 2
    Roboticz likes this.
    07-07-2012 01:37 PM
    Does the speed of charging come from the wire? Or the actual usb wall plug? I believe the BBP charger charges.8 amps faster.
    07-07-2012 06:39 PM
    Yeh mines slow was wondering that aswell

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums
    07-07-2012 07:04 PM
    so all the chargers are the same? as long as using usb cord?
    07-07-2012 07:19 PM
    All microUSB chargers work but are not the same. It depends on how much power each one supplies. Every USB cord is pretty much the same but if it's plugged into a computer it's going to be a much slower charge than using the wall charger that came with it.
    07-07-2012 11:59 PM
    The charging rate can also be manipulated by the manufacturer. My LG Spectrum comes with a 0.8 amp charger but the phone will not draw more than about 0.5 amps. A custom ROM can change this, with a shortened life span being the result.

Three hours to go from 10 to 100% sounds pretty good to me, though. And when you unplug the phone and plug it back to in charge it some more is called "bump charging." You can improve you battery's charge quite a bit doing it this way, but it can also shorten your life span...

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.
    07-08-2012 12:59 AM
    The charging rate can also be manipulated by the manufacturer. My LG Spectrum comes with a 0.8 amp charger but the phone will not draw more than about 0.5 amps. A custom ROM can change this, with a shortened life span being the result.

Three hours to go from 10 to 100% sounds pretty good to me, though. And when you unplug the phone and plug it back to in charge it some more is called "bump charging." You can improve you battery's charge quite a bit doing it this way, but it can also shorten your life span...

Sent from my LG Spectrum using Tapatalk 2.
    So even if I did get the blackberry premium charger it wouldn't charge at the 1.8amp because Samsung has the cap at 1.0?
    07-08-2012 03:38 PM
    Yea, I think it charges rather fast actually, especially considering it's a bigger battery than my old Thin RAZR
    07-08-2012 04:10 PM
    Weird thing happened to me last night. Left the phone charging overnight. It wasn't completely dead. I think it had about 30 percent battery life. When I woke up it was at 68 percent. Must have been on the charger about 8 hours.
    07-08-2012 06:54 PM
    Weird thing happened to me last night. Left the phone charging overnight. It wasn't completely dead. I think it had about 30 percent battery life. When I woke up it was at 68 percent. Must have been on the charger about 8 hours.
    That same thing happened to me. After 2 days of trying to figure out why the dreadfully slow charge, I took the charger back to sprint for a new one.
    They tested it, and said it was fine. I told them ( again ) it wasn't fine.
    So they plugged my phone in and said "Look, the charge icon is on". I was like "ok wise guy.
    I'll give you $10 if the battery % increases in the next 5 minutes. If not, you get me a new charger and stop bustin my balls"
    5 minutes later I walked out with a new charger.
    The guy told me this was the first charging issue he had seen.
    07-08-2012 08:11 PM
    I understand about the slow charging cause of the bigger battery. I just plugged it in at 730pm it's now 911pm and the battery is at 82%. That's not cool. I plugged it in with the charger it came with. The other incident happened with my playbook charger.
    07-08-2012 09:17 PM
    Battery should be going up 1% every 2 minutes ( at least ). Doesn't matter how big the battery is. If it's not, try a different charger.
    07-09-2012 06:21 AM
    I think it also depends on which charger you use. I have been charging it the last two nights, and it had not had a full charge in the morning. Was using the charger from my old phone, last night was about 6 hours to go from 35% to94%. During the day,I have used the charger it came with and it seems to charge pretty normally.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-11-2012 10:57 AM
    This is completely false. If you read any article that is science-related when it comes to Li-ion batteries, it will tell you that is actually a way to shorten the overall life of the battery. There is another thread on the forums (I can't recall where) that talks about the advantages/disadvantages of frequent smaller charges vs running down the battery and doing 1 long charge. One thing that is consistently agreed upon is that running your battery until it is completely dead on a regular basis is bad for the life of it. Doing so maybe once a month at most is OK for calibration, but that's the only advantage.

For those complaining about how long it takes to charge the phone, I agree with the above statement about how much larger this battery is than most previous phones we've all had. Also, something to consider, is how much a charger is capable of in terms of output. For example, if you use the standard 1mAh wall charger, it will not charge your device nearly as fast as if you connect it to one that puts out, say, 2mAh. I just bought a 2-port charger from a local shop for about $17 that is a 2.1mAh output, and my phone charges super fast. On the rare occasion that I use the charger that came with my phone - it doesn't bother me that it takes a bit longer to charge the phone, because I remember how quickly my batteries always drained on my previous phone (OG Evo 4G) (I could literally watch the percentage drop as I held it in my hand with minimal use), and how the Sammy drains considerably slower. If after a majority of the day my battery is in the teens, percentage-wise, I will plug it in for an hour to get me thru the rest of the day, and then of course at night for a full charge. Hasn't done me wrong yet.
    L1Wulf likes this.
    07-11-2012 11:31 AM
    Battery should be going up 1% every 2 minutes ( at least ). Doesn't matter how big the battery is. If it's not, try a different charger.
    This is false. Charge time is determined by battery capacity/charge rate. Phone comes with a 2100mAh battery and a 1 amp (1000mAh) charger so in theory it should take 2.1 hours to charge. It will actually take longer because the phone doesn't actually pull a full 1000mAh from the charger, and there are other losses from inefficiencies.

Ie: if you had a big extended battery at 4200mAh, theoretically it would take twice as long to charge.

Also if the phone is using any power during charge, it takes longer as well.

MG.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    L1Wulf likes this.
    07-11-2012 11:57 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD