Galaxy S3: Text Messages + Ford Sync

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Anyone had any luck with getting the text message functionality on the Ford/Microsoft Sync working with the GS3? I have a 2010 Model that is fully updated and it keeps saying phone is not supported. I thought the S3 supported Bluetooth MAP and had hoped that would allow it to work. If anyone has gotten this working successfully was there anything special that needed to be done?

Last edited by a moderator:

dh4321

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Text Messages + Ford Sync

I asked in another thread, but no answer as of yet. Anyway to receive emails with this phone? I receive texts via my car's nab system, but not emails. My old blackberry did this just fine and I'm wondering if it's simply some type of phone setting.

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

You guys are not crazy.. it's not really only the phone that's an issue. This is a problem with Ford's system not knowing how to read the databases of advanced smartphones. The BlackBerry may not have had the same issue with some models of sync because it still stores txt messages in much the same way as old feature phones. iPhone and Android use a different (more modern) solution and older Ford cars won't be able to read those for a while if ever. If I'm not mistaken, the MyFord Touch system just started supporting txt for Android and iPhone for the 2013 model year. It might possible for Ford to update older systems, but I'm of the opinion they can't invest the time and effort since the code base is now obsolete.

PrincessKick

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

My 2012 Focus does not support reading incoming text messages on an an iPhone 4 but it did on a RAZR Maxx that I trialed for two weeks. Its phone by phone per SYNC's website. I'm going to try on a One X that I am trialing today.

walterwood44

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

I've got a 2008 Lincoln with Sync and I have been told by Ford that the latest and final update for my car.

I can connect using Bluetooth, play music and podcasts but not control what plays. I can pause and go to the next or last song. I can also use voice dialing with my address book stored in Sync. But no text messaging!

mkempton

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Just got my GS3 today and Sync will not read my text messages. If I go to Text Messages in the SYNC menu, it says they aren't supported. I tried the instructions in the link provided and I don't even have a MAP Settings option under advanced.

Things worked fine with my Droid X until I flashed CM7 on it two months ago. I thought the BT stack on that image/radio were old.

Going to track down an iPhone to see if that works.

Hoping someone finds a solution.

MsGadget13

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

My Galaxy Nexus wouldn't sync messages on my 2012 SEL Ford Focus but my S3 does. The message showed up on the screen. I had to click to read it but it worked. Probably have to go to aux for it to read it to me, not sure haven't played with it yet. Progress. I've had the Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus and now the Galaxy S3 and this is the first phone it will do anything with messages.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I have an 2011 F-150 and I will try this out tomorrow and provide results.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

From the looks of it I am out of luck as far as text messaging from the MyFord(Lincoln)Touch version of sync. Everything I have found says there is no way to make it work with the 2010 version of the sync system. It's too bad too since it's probably a fairly simple update Ford could do to get it functional. I'd also like to see artist/song info when streaming over bluetooth, but I think that's going to have to remain a dream on the older sync systems.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

What about BT Audio Streaming? Does the 2012 system show tracks and artist/song/podcast information? I suspect not due to the multitude of applications you could use to provide the stream but just curious.

Mike

Wontfinishlast

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
What about BT Audio Streaming? Does the 2012 system show tracks and artist/song/podcast information? I suspect not due to the multitude of applications you could use to provide the stream but just curious.

Mike

So far playing music from the stock music app and poweramp will give you song/artist info. But playing podcasts (at least through podkicker) gives you nothing.

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Thanks Wontfinishlast. Sounds a bit promising. I suspect the only way podcast info would work is if either Android creates a stock podcast player or if you have one of those systems like Honda is introducing that allows the phone head unit to control the phone.

Thanks

Mike

mkempton

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

From the looks of it I am out of luck as far as text messaging from the MyFord(Lincoln)Touch version of sync. Everything I have found says there is no way to make it work with the 2010 version of the sync system. It's too bad too since it's probably a fairly simple update Ford could do to get it functional. I'd also like to see artist/song info when streaming over bluetooth, but I think that's going to have to remain a dream on the older sync systems.

My DroidX read text messages just fine on my 2010 Fusion. It's the phone, not the car. Or it's some compatibility between the two. But my Ford software from the factory supported it and it's still the latest per Ford last week.

Has anyone confirmed that the S3 has the MAP profile?

<edit> I have the non-touchscreen/non-nav Sync system. Ford says there's no way to disable MAP on that version. It's on by default (obviously, since my DroidX worked out of the box). </edit>

Last edited:

gbb0131

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

In my 2010 Fusion Hybrid Sync would read my Droid Bionic text messages, but not my new GS3. My mom has a 2013 Edge with My Ford Touch and it will read the messages. Too bad that Ford has abandoned the original Sync System. Guess I'll just have to lease a 2014 Fusion Energi... :)

mkempton

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Anyone find any updates on this? Getting to the point where I'm going to trade the phone in b/c our texting ban went into effect this weekend.

ducatti20

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2011 escape and a 2012 focus, both with sync, both work great on reading texts... had to turn on map profiles in the sync options, I think it was in the advanced system options...
Both syncs are updated to the latest version.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

fglimm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site

PrincessKick, did you have any success getting the text messaging to work with your HTC One X? I'm having problems with getting the phone to show up as an acceptable phone even though it is on the Sync website as a phone that will send and receive text messages. Curious to hear if you got yours to work...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae