Used NFC for the first - aluminum case/battery no go

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
My sister also purchased an S III, upgrading from the S III.

Initially, nothing was happening when I was touching the two phones together. I'm using an aluminum back cover and she has hers in one of those flip cases (looks similar to this) from eBay with the magnetic snap. Her snap is on the other side, so it doesn't dangle in front of the screen link the one I linked to.

It took me a few minutes to figure out: duh! I wonder if the aluminum cover was causing the problem.

Sure enough, when I removed it, the two phones talked to each other and I was able to get picture of my niece over to my phone.

I did not have to remove her phone from her flip case. So, the aluminum cases don't place nice with NFC.

Just thought I'd share. :)

Reactions: jimbo1mcm

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, the NFC card packaging has "does not work through metal" all over it. :p

Granted, I just realized you were doing the S-Bump thing, so I guess that doesn't apply!! LOL

GK3K

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Granted, I just realized you were doing the S-Bump thing, so I guess that doesn't apply!! LOL
Yup. More of an observation than anything. :)

I just wanted to let folks know that the aluminum-backed cases don't work when trying to use NFC.

insane42

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

I just wanted to let folks know that the aluminum-backed cases don't work when trying to use NFC.

You don't want one of those anyway. More likely to cause you to get struck by lightning, especially seeing the impending doom of the world is only a few months away. :-!

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site

Yep, besides the s bump, nfc tags don't work, google wallet won't work with any paypass sytems (when google wallet or isis comes to the S3), and it appears to have some minimal effect on reception. I have posted this numerous times over the last couple of weeks.

And the metal only needs to be the width of a piece of paper and the nfc won't work.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12