Downloaded Swype but can't select it to use

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I tried to figure out what the deal is with Swype but I'm at a lost now and am turning to my AC brethren for help. I downloaded and installed the latest release on my S3 but I don't see where I can select it to use. When I am in a text message and long press in the writing area the only input choices I am given are voice or Samsung keyboard. Can soemone tell me how to select the Swype keyboard. I am sick of the default Samsung keyboard already.

I almost forgot. How do I make Handcent the default text message app? I get two or three notifications now everytime I get a text message and it is annoying.

Last edited:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The easiest method I found to kill the built in apps for email, txt, etc. is to root phone and install Titanium Backup and Freeze the unwanted apps.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
You just need to turn off notifications in your other apps. What happens is when you get a text, all the apps get it (so if you open Handcent, the messages will be there, but they'll still be there if you open the default texting app). I don't know if it's purposely that way, but it's nice when I switch messaging apps to have all of my messages there (regardless of which app I was using at the time the message came in).

So the best/easiest way is just to disable the notifications in the messaging app(s) you aren't using.

I switch back and forth between Handcent and Go SMS once in a while, so I just have to swap the notifications on for whichever one I'm using at the time and off for the other one.

Reactions: brewzer

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
You just need to turn off notifications in your other apps. What happens is when you get a text, all the apps get it (so if you open handcent, the messages will be there, but they'll still be there if you open the default texting app).

So the best/easiest way is just to disable the notifications in the messaging app(s) you aren't using.

I switch back and forth between Handcent and Go SMS once in a while, so I just have to swap the notifications on for whichever one I'm using at the time and off for the other one. No big deal.

Does this actually close the application from running and receiving messages or simply remove the notification of them being received? Thanks.

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I figured out to make Handcent the default app, but I will have to do as cataloochee suggested to obtain what I want.

I also figured out what I was doing wrong with installing/using Swype. Thanks for the help guys.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I had this same problem. Once you have installed Swype go to Menu>Settings>Language and input and check Swype Beta. Once you have done this, there is still one more step to get it to be the default keyboard. You need to go into an application/browser where you need to Swype/type and pull up the keyboard. Once you do this a little typewriter will appear in the navigation bar. Pull down the navigation bar and select Swype Beta where you can "Select input method". NOW you should be good to go with Swype.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
No more long pressing in a text box and selecting "Input Method"?

It is going to take quite some time to get used to this phone I can tell already. But it is going to be fun running this as my primary device.

f1nzup

May 29, 2010
Visit site
No more long pressing in a text box and selecting "Input Method"?

Nope. Lol. And it drove me crazy until I posted the question and someone enlightened me on how it works on Samsung. :D

And yes, it has been a major learning curve coming from HTC and Sense, but I love my S3.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I originally bought the S3 because it has a simple elegance akin to a classic ball gown. But I have fallen in love with learning all of the things it can do if you are willing to take the time to explore the possibilities.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie