SMS from iPhone to GS3. Imported all texts but SMS app crashes

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok guys this one has me stumped. I imported my sms file from itunes using iSMS2droid and SMS Backup&Restore. I also used an online xml converter and have had the same issue using that.

The app will import all the conversations, but the SMS app is now incredibly laggy and will crash most of the time. I think the issue is that instead of only loading the last few texts of the conversation like the iphone does it is loading all 20K+ texts at once. I can enter in to a sms conversation (after waiting several minutes) and every text is already loaded.

Does anyone know of a way to resolve this or a better way to import sms convos from iphone?

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
20K??

Well there's your problem. You gotta delete. There's no way an app can handle that much especially importing it from another phone/os/messaging app.

Is there a reason you need all 20K?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: SMS from iPhone to GS3. Imported all texts but SMS app crashe

20K??

Well there's your problem. You gotta delete. There's no way an app can handle that much especially importing it from another phone/os/messaging app.

Is there a reason you need all 20K?

So on android you periodically have to delete all sms messages? I usually send/recieve over 1000 a month because of my job and need to keep a fair number of those messages avaiable for reference. Just seemed really simple on my old phone.

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site

When I swtiched from my old phone to my SGS3 I tried importing my old text messages from my old phone to my new one (I think there were over 16,000 msgs!)

For some reason the app would keep crashing during the back up and restore process. And when I finally got the majority (never completely got the restore to work) of messages on my new phone the SMS app was really slow and would crash at times like you describe.

I figured something got corrupted during the process so I deleted all the messages that were part of the restoration. Then magically my SMS app was blazing fast again. I currently have a bunch of new texts on my phone and the SMS app is working fine. So I can only assume the sms backup app screwed up something on the phone.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
So on android you periodically have to delete all sms messages? I usually send/recieve over 1000 a month because of my job and need to keep a fair number of those messages avaiable for reference. Just seemed really simple on my old phone.

Nope, you don't have to delete all. But I've never had 20K on my phone. Probably a couple thousand at most.

I'm just saying you can't import 20K texts.

mfriedman79

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I have seen this issue a lot with friends who text a ton that when they get to the 15-20k text message marks that the apps just start lagging. I am not sure if it is a DB issue or just the way teh apps access it that causes the lag and crash, but it's pretty common. Personally I only top out around 6-7k texts, but with my move to the GS3 I didn't bother re-importing them. I use SMS Backup+ to sync all my messages to my GMail account into their own SMS folder so I can access them if ever needed. This backs up MMS as well from what I can tell.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site

Well I redid the restore and dated it so that only about 2000 or so txt msgs got loaded...same issue. I'm starting to think that there is a compatibility issue with the GS3. Really regret spending the $15 bucks on software to do this. There are a lot of aspects of this phone that I think are great but some the software stuff is killing me.

DJSgalaxy

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Contact the software developer. There's probably a compatibility issue with ICS.

nicolabeghin

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site

I got the same problem with 32k sms from my iphone. you just have to use a non-stock sms app, like gopro sms or handy-something. the bundled one's not so good, it keeps hanging on my side.

Christian Nguyen

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site

I have a similar problem with my GS3, but I don't have a bunch of text messages saved. My message app will randomly crash 1-2 times a day. I receive a text and when I open it and reply, it shows a blank message screen after i reply and then when i go back to the message screen where it shows my older messages it "erases" my messages and says I have no messages when i should have messages. and a few seconds later< maybe 30 seconds, messaging crashes and i try using it again and it still crashes and once i restart my phone the problem goes away.

myIphone4s

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

I dont care about importing messages nothing really worth saving
The only question i have is how much will the phone handle? i dont get many messages a day. but i got some dating back past november of last year. Not a problem. And they seem to delete them selfs over time.(not an issue)

So i dont want to have to delete messages my self. Just somethig else to keep track of.

Just asking

thumpr77

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

Christian, Did you find a cure to this problem? My wife is having exact same issue on Telus s3, exchanged for new phone and then for new sim card, still have the issue.

Last edited:

thumpr77

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I have a similar problem with my GS3, but I don't have a bunch of text messages saved. My message app will randomly crash 1-2 times a day. I receive a text and when I open it and reply, it shows a blank message screen after i reply and then when i go back to the message screen where it shows my older messages it "erases" my messages and says I have no messages when i should have messages. and a few seconds later< maybe 30 seconds, messaging crashes and i try using it again and it still crashes and once i restart my phone the problem goes away.

Look here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...3-sms-freezing-until-restart.html#post2726957