Galaxy S3 Defaults to Headphone Jack, Car Defaults to Bluetooth

Deluxxe Bus

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up the Galaxy S3 yesterday, and my car won't answer Bluetooth calls. My phone is paired with the car, but I'm listening to my music on my phone (through the headphone jack), and when I get a call my phone defaults to the headphone jack and my car to the bluetooth. I'd appreciate if anyone can help.

I'm coming from the original Evo, and it always defaulted to Bluetooth, it was so nice. I'm within my 14 days at Sprint, and am considering returning the GS3 to switch to the LTE, based on this problem alone.

Does anyone have any insight?

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S3 Defaults to Headphone Jack, Car Defaults to Bluetoo

try re-paring your phone with the car.

my car has a phone profile, an audio player profile and both. So i paired my S3 as both phone and audio player.

why do you still use the headphone jack for music when your car has BT?

Mac.World

ΣΛΤ ΜΣ
May 3, 2012
Visit site

try re-paring your phone with the car.

my car has a phone profile, an audio player profile and both. So i paired my S3 as both phone and audio player.

why do you still use the headphone jack for music when your car has BT?

My guess is he likes the quality better. I just installed a stereo in my older Maxima so that I could listen to my S3 via the headphone jack (my car is a 98 and there was BT back then.) anyway, instead of using front aux and having a wire sticking out the front of the radio to my phone, i wired to the rear aux/bt connector. My calls still come in normal with the phone and Pandora plays via the aux bt connection.

One day it would be nice if a manufacturer builds a phone that can interact with stereo's like the iphone can. Being able to control Pandora with the steering wheel controls is the way it should always work.

firetruck41

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site

My head unit only has aux in, no bluetooth. It works well, for both phone calls and music, if you are plugging in for the music anyway. You can play a music app, pandora and/or nav, and the audio will go through the stereo, when a call comes in, the caller audio would go through the speakers, and the mic on the phone would work. The phone just handled all the audio seamlessly, and the headunit was just an amplifier. This was on my DroidX, haven't had a chance to try it on the S3, I am expecting it will work the same. Fingers crossed!

Deluxxe Bus

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I have to use the aux port because my car is a 2008 Toyota Camry, and while it has BT, it wasn't until 2009 that the Bluetooth was updated for streaming music. My car's BT is for phone calls only, it only plays through the driver's speaker.

Deluxxe Bus

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I just spoke with Samsung, they said they don't have any settings or ways to change this. Very disappointing. I'm going to trade my phone in for the HTC LTE, because that is the point of BT, so you don't have to mess with your phone to answer it, especially while driving.

Also, from all of my research, Samsung users have had this problem for a long time, where Motorola and HTC users have never had it. That's pretty frustrating.

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

This is indeed one of my few gripes with the phone so far. I want to keep my phone plugged into the sound system of the car (bluetooth ONLY WORKS for phone calls and not for streaming music), but I cannot make or receive calls, as I cannot hear anything on my end. The phone seems to effectively mute the music that was playing while not passing through the audio for the ring or the call.

If there is any solution found, or setting I have missed, please post here or PM me.

ImaDroidFan

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I am in the same boat as described by the OP. I wish Samsung would realize how many individuals are in this boat. My HTC incredible has nothing on the SGSIII but it always played Pandora and shifted to a call with no issue.

red_5ive

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I just got my S3 a few days ago and tried this exact setup today for the first time and had the same issue. I stumbled on this thread after I got frustrated not being able to find a setting that I assumed was in the phone to resolve this.

Anyway, I happened to order one of these a couple of days ago for hands-free plus music over BT so that I don't have to keep plugging a cable into my phone for music. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it'll solve the problem. I'll report back after it arrives and I can test it out.

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Using Belkin Y37 Bluetooth adapter

Just tried out the Belkin Y37 from Amazon. While it works OK and the phone does pair with the car and the bluetooth, there are two main problems.

1- the Y37 needs constant power, so I have to get an adapter to get 5v from the car USB adapter to the device. This will require a special cable.

2- The phone does not auto-connect to the Y37 bluetooth, so every time you get in the car, you have to manually go through your settings to connect. It would be nice if you did not have to do this.

Worth the $25...not sure if I will keep it.

snookiesnoo

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site

My iPhone 4s works exceptionally well with my 2012 Honda Accord but not the S 3. Very frustrating. Also my iPhone connects to my car via a USB port as well as Bluetooth and music from the iPhone dock connector sounds significantly better than from the headphone jack. The dock connector on the iPhone s where the DAC is. Anyway the S3 is pretty useless in my car whereas the IiPhne is great. I suppose this is something Samsung doesn't care about much.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site

I'm having this issue, too. I really like the phone, but this issue is making me consider exchanging it for another device, like the HTC EVO 4G LTE.

BarbecueGamer

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no problem with the bluetooth switching with my Kenwood. When a call comes in the music mutes and it switches to bluetooth. I have to use the aux port instead of the usb that I used with my iPhone. The stereo was made to be Iphone compatible but not android compatible (too old). It still sounds great to me. I hope you find a solution to your problem it must be frustrating. I just wanted to let people know not everyone has the bluetooth problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

red_5ive

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

I just got my S3 a few days ago and tried this exact setup today for the first time and had the same issue. I stumbled on this thread after I got frustrated not being able to find a setting that I assumed was in the phone to resolve this.

Anyway, I happened to order one of these a couple of days ago for hands-free plus music over BT so that I don't have to keep plugging a cable into my phone for music. It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm hoping it'll solve the problem. I'll report back after it arrives and I can test it out.

Well I hate to quote myself, but I finally got the device. Amazon super-saver-shipping is getting super-slow. :D

Pairing is quick and easy. The device works as described which is BT hands free + BT audio (music, apps such as nav, etc.). While playing music, it will automatically switch to hands free when you have an incoming call, and notices such as navigation will also temporarily cut out the music.

The one thing I don't like is overall music audio quality, which seems degraded to my ears compared to the headphone jack. I prefer flac format for my music, but the device has an FM-quality like sound to it, including the hiss. However, I don't know if that's just a consequence of bluetooth. If that doesn't bother you, the device is great, and you'll no longer need a cable to connect your phone to the auxiliary input.

Edit: Scratch what I wrote above. I don't know what was going on last night, but after using the device today while driving and playing some tunes, my impressions with the music performance did a complete 180! I don't know what the deal was with the sound last night, but maybe after a power cycle something was reset and is now working properly as I had initially tested the device right away after pairing it. Everything sounds great now with music! I'm very happy with this purchase. :cool:

Last edited:

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

This one on Amazon: Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver is only $25 and does the bluetooth well, although it does not auto-connect each time. It seems like the one you bought (that does audio and phone) would either over-ride the car bluetooth, or if it does not, then you only need the one I bought for a lot less. Are you using yours for the phone calls as well?

zack7687

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

My guess is he likes the quality better. I just installed a stereo in my older Maxima so that I could listen to my S3 via the headphone jack (my car is a 98 and there was BT back then.) anyway, instead of using front aux and having a wire sticking out the front of the radio to my phone, i wired to the rear aux/bt connector. My calls still come in normal with the phone and Pandora plays via the aux bt connection.

One day it would be nice if a manufacturer builds a phone that can interact with stereo's like the iphone can. Being able to control Pandora with the steering wheel controls is the way it should always work.

This is indeed one of my few gripes with the phone so far. I want to keep my phone plugged into the sound system of the car (bluetooth ONLY WORKS for phone calls and not for streaming music), but I cannot make or receive calls, as I cannot hear anything on my end. The phone seems to effectively mute the music that was playing while not passing through the audio for the ring or the call.

If there is any solution found, or setting I have missed, please post here or PM me.

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about. I have a 2008 Ford with Sync and I play audio over bluetooth everyday. I also use the steering wheel controls to change the song, volume, and take calls. Maybe you an older version of BT that doesn't allow this, but again I have no issues.

red_5ive

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site

This one on Amazon: Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver is only $25 and does the bluetooth well, although it does not auto-connect each time. It seems like the one you bought (that does audio and phone) would either over-ride the car bluetooth, or if it does not, then you only need the one I bought for a lot less. Are you using yours for the phone calls as well?

Yes, that's what I meant by "BT hands free + BT audio" in my post. Sorry, I meant to say "BT hands free calls + BT audio". That's why I recommended the device because it solves the problem in this thread topic of not being able to use BT calls in conjunction with the headphone jack for music. In that respect, I don't know how the F8Z492TTP would solve this problem unless you could connect to it as well as a BT calling device simultaneously. So are you saying that the phone can connect to two BT devices simultaneously, one for calls and one for audio?

Last edited:

lair12

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Yes, that's what I meant by "BT hands free + BT audio" in my post. Sorry, I meant to say "BT hands free calls + BT audio". That's why I recommended the device because it solves the problem in this thread topic of not being able to use BT calls in conjunction with the headphone jack for music. In that respect, I don't know how the F8Z492TTP would solve this problem unless you could connect to it as well as a BT calling device simultaneously. So are you saying that the phone can connect to two BT devices simultaneously, one for calls and one for audio?

I can fully confirm the functionality of the Belkin F8Z492TTP. It is now custom installed in my A3 with a direct power hookup and direct connection to the aux input. For power, I had to hook up a 12 volt car outlet behind the dash, insert a 12v to usb adapter, and splice the power cord from the factory transformer to a USB cable. Power is with a micro type H plug that Radio Shack does not have. They should give you a usb to type H cable with it.

Anyway, the Galaxy S3 will connect to two bluetooth devices at the same time...the Audi bluetooth and the Belkin Y37 Bluetooth. I put a shortcut button for bluetooth on my home screen which pulls up the options. You DO HAVE TO RECONNECT BLUETOOTH each time you get in the car, but you had to manually plug in the cable the other way.

When a call is made, the car bluetooth takes over with full steering wheel controls, and when it ends, the audio goes back on (I think automatically). Since I have constant power to the Belkin through the 12v, if you step away and then come back, you can automatically regain your connection, which is nice.

I did the modification to the Belkin where I broke it carefully open and pulled the metal innards that are purely designed to give it a feeling of mass. All that is inside is a teeny circuit board that must have cost $1 tops! Belkin lists this at $50, although it is half that on Amazon.

All in all, a decent solution to a frustrating problem. Sound is pretty decent.

Reactions: miata492

miata492

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site

I am having this same issue as many on here. My 2010 VW Jetta TDI has factory BT for phone only so I use the AUX port on the sound system for listening to podcasts, etc. I have never had this issue in the past and it is beyond frustrating. Today is my last day to exchange/return the phone so it looks like I need to try one of these other BT setups. I am sick of using the AUX cable plus on the GS3 you get a buzz in the system when you are listening to anything.
I can buy the BT unit for the TDI wagon which has streaming audio for +/- $300 and need to find someone with a VAGCOM to program it - not easy or cheap...
Bumming...