08-11-2012 08:43 AM
104 1234 ...
tools
    Using Apex launcher. Love it. Basically the same as Nova at this point but. Before they were racing against eachother. Each one having the same features except a couple. When I chose Apex it was because it allowed you to change the transparency in the app drawer and nova didnt but now nova does it as well. They are both equals now though
    I'm trying both out and it just seems like there are mostly interface differences. Problem is that both are so crippled in the free version that it makes decisions tough... I'm tending towards Apex at this point though...Just seems classier to me and I'm tired of all the GO ads...
    07-11-2012 05:38 PM
    Try holo launcher

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    07-11-2012 05:44 PM
    Well I was a die hard Go launcher fan with my X... I tried touch wiz and I didn't hate it but I wasn't crazy about the non scrollable dock... I HATED Blur on the Razr. SO I tried Apex for awhile and it's good but when I tried Nova after I tried Apex it was just easier for me to look for and add apps to the pages. I thinking about paying for Nova But I really don't want to pay the $4 if I don't have to... 2 things I'm looking for before I do is a scrollable contact widget and a full size whole month calender(which the touch wiz had and I loved it I just couldn't resize anything which drove me nuts it was almost a whole page) Anybody know of any good apps for that. I'm use to Go everything still using GoSms so I gotta find replacements... Or I'll be lost on my phone. ALSO like that I can still use the themes I bought for my Go launcher on Nova didn't see it on Apex or it wasn't that easy to find and didn't see it.
    07-11-2012 07:14 PM
    Try holo launcher

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    Holo Launcher is GB based, right? I'm looking for ICS based launchers. Thanks though.
    07-11-2012 07:53 PM
    Well I was a die hard Go launcher fan with my X... I tried touch wiz and I didn't hate it but I wasn't crazy about the non scrollable dock... I HATED Blur on the Razr. SO I tried Apex for awhile and it's good but when I tried Nova after I tried Apex it was just easier for me to look for and add apps to the pages. I thinking about paying for Nova But I really don't want to pay the $4 if I don't have to... 2 things I'm looking for before I do is a scrollable contact widget and a full size whole month calender(which the touch wiz had and I loved it I just couldn't resize anything which drove me nuts it was almost a whole page) Anybody know of any good apps for that. I'm use to Go everything still using GoSms so I gotta find replacements... Or I'll be lost on my phone. ALSO like that I can still use the themes I bought for my Go launcher on Nova didn't see it on Apex or it wasn't that easy to find and didn't see it.
    I know what you're saying about putting an app on the pages. I really like the way the widgets show up in the app drawer with Apex though. There are full previews like in Touchwiz (one of the things I like about Touchwiz). Overall, being an "options" person I'm thinking Apex may just have a few more than Nova but the free versions are so crippled it's hard to tell.
    07-11-2012 08:05 PM
    I know what you're saying about putting an app on the pages. I really like the way the widgets show up in the app drawer with Apex though. There are full previews like in Touchwiz (one of the things I like about Touchwiz). Overall, being an "options" person I'm thinking Apex may just have a few more than Nova but the free versions are so crippled it's hard to tell.
    Agreed I havent sunk $ into either... I guess I didn't have the full preview to miss it that long lol! I didn't like how Apex made me drag ever app I wanted to add to the pages individual. Nova let me click on a bunch and then add then to the page all at once. BUT who knows what the full version has on it and you probably couldn't try them out for 15mins long enough to know... HEY at least we got a new phone to play with though and I'm really in love w/ this phone.
    07-11-2012 08:25 PM
    Agreed I havent sunk $ into either... I guess I didn't have the full preview to miss it that long lol! I didn't like how Apex made me drag ever app I wanted to add to the pages individual. Nova let me click on a bunch and then add then to the page all at once. BUT who knows what the full version has on it and you probably couldn't try them out for 15mins long enough to know... HEY at least we got a new phone to play with though and I'm really in love w/ this phone.
    Absolutely! But I REALLY want a new launcher!
    07-11-2012 08:40 PM
    ALSO like that I can still use the themes I bought for my Go launcher on Nova didn't see it on Apex or it wasn't that easy to find and didn't see it.
    I just saw that GO Launcher themes work on Apex Pro. I think I just made my decision...
    07-11-2012 08:52 PM
    I'm using Launcher 7, which is a mimic of Metro for WP7. I like the clean, simple look, but it's not for everyone. It will take a lot of thought and time figuring out how to customize it to a point where it is as seamless as other launchers. If you are looking for something stylish, unique, and simple then I'd recommend it.
    mkempton likes this.
    07-11-2012 09:14 PM
    Have always used the stock whatever came with the phone then switched to ADW A hero then the original LG optimus and now a Siii. I have used ADW about 2.5 years and clearly like it. I find ADW very customizable and it is free to use.

Will have to give Nova a look given the positive comments.
    07-11-2012 09:17 PM
    I just paid for Apex but now I found out that folder sorting is not a feature. It's great that you can bulk add programs to folders but there's no way to sort them once they are there. I just wrote to the author asking about this and telling him that if this feature is not planned then I would like a refund. That 15 minute Play window is really short... If this feature isn't added then I'll go with Nova.
    07-11-2012 10:29 PM
    I just paid for Apex but now I found out that folder sorting is not a feature. It's great that you can bulk add programs to folders but there's no way to sort them once they are there. I just wrote to the author asking about this and telling him that if this feature is not planned then I would like a refund. That 15 minute Play window is really short... If this feature isn't added then I'll go with Nova.
    I've been fiddling with both Apex and Nova demos and think I'm going with Apex for the greater customization options.

Apex doesn't have an automated sort, but you can long-press an icon in a folder and drag it around for a manual sort. Not the greatest solution if you want to quickly sort by some criteria but at least you can move stuff around.
    07-11-2012 10:56 PM
    I wish TouchWiz had more options. I don't like the idea of a 3rd party program draining more battery life out of my phone (not that it's a big issue, I just don't think it's necessary).

I've messed around with Nova and Go Launcher and while they have some nice skins and widgets, I went back to TW.
    Issemann likes this.
    07-12-2012 01:42 AM
    I tried out Nova, Apex and Go last night. Today I'm back at Touchwiz. Doh!

It really came down to, once I got my screen setup the way I liked it, etc..... I stopped getting notifications for calls on my stock email app, texts, etc. Calendar widget go bye bye, yadda yadda.

I guess I can install more apps to handle that stuff when I'm using a 3rd party launcher, but then it just seems to get more and more resource heavy. While I was having the most fun with Go last night, it also was killing what has been otherwise rock solid battery performance on this phone.

Touchwiz is okay I suppose. While I like changing out icons, etc, I don't mind staying with the stock ones. I just wish scrolling wallpaper actually worked somehow.
    07-12-2012 02:39 AM
    I tried out Nova, Apex and Go last night. Today I'm back at Touchwiz. Doh!

It really came down to, once I got my screen setup the way I liked it, etc..... I stopped getting notifications for calls on my stock email app, texts, etc. Calendar widget go bye bye, yadda yadda.

I guess I can install more apps to handle that stuff when I'm using a 3rd party launcher, but then it just seems to get more and more resource heavy. While I was having the most fun with Go last night, it also was killing what has been otherwise rock solid battery performance on this phone.

Touchwiz is okay I suppose. While I like changing out icons, etc, I don't mind staying with the stock ones. I just wish scrolling wallpaper actually worked somehow.
    I wish Touchwiz at least had a scrolling dock. If it did I could probably live with everything else. Are you sure it was the launcher that were killing your battery or was it possibly just playing with the launchers and using the phone more than usual?
    07-12-2012 06:59 AM
    Button options?
    i was interested in remapping my buttons so that it was more like ICS...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post1888130

but i like these options and that i can have voice search come up rather than s-voice.
    07-12-2012 07:48 AM
    Is it possible to change the app drawer tabs in apex launcher. For example I'd like the first tab to be frequently used, 2nd tab all apps I haven't hidden in alpha order, and the 3rd for widgets.
    07-12-2012 08:43 AM
    Is it possible to change the app drawer tabs in apex launcher. For example I'd like the first tab to be frequently used, 2nd tab all apps I haven't hidden in alpha order, and the 3rd for widgets.
    Here's a screen shot from Apex Pro settings :Attachment 30334

I haven't gotten around to trying it yet but it looks pretty simple.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 09:48 AM
    I think the "Go Launcher" has the most pluggins and effects. All the other launchers seem boring to me.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 10:02 AM
    I used GO Launcher on my DX. I'm just wondering if it uses more battery and/or other resources since it's not optimized for ICS?
    07-12-2012 12:25 PM
    I downloaded Apex but I haven't started using it yet. I do want to use a 3rd party launcher since I'm not in love with TW. Just not sure if it is worth purchasing one or not, I'm not worried about the money but how much more functionality do you get versus the free app?
    07-12-2012 12:32 PM
    I tried to decide yesterday and settled on Nova. Unlike Apex, it allows folders in the app drawer. And in a roundabout way I can set it up so I can double tap the home button and it will show recently used apps.

I was mostly fine w/ touchwiz, but w/ such a large screen I really wanted to use extra space. I don't need a scrolling dock but it's nice to have.
    07-12-2012 01:00 PM
    And in a roundabout way I can set it up so I can double tap the home button and it will show recently used apps.
    This is the one feature I wish Go Launcher had. Still, after cheking all the launchers, I'm back to Go Launcher. Overall it still does what I want the most.

-Suntan
    07-12-2012 01:04 PM
    True or False?.......

Non-native launchers use more system resources than native launchers?
    07-12-2012 01:20 PM
    This is the one feature I wish Go Launcher had. Still, after cheking all the launchers, I'm back to Go Launcher. Overall it still does what I want the most.

-Suntan

If you hold down on the home button, it does the same thing. I use Go launcher and love it. Tried Apex and Nova and thought they were okay.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 01:28 PM
104 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD