08-11-2012 08:43 AM
104 12345
tools
    If you hold down on the home button, it does the same thing.
    I know. I just prefer to double tap instead of holding down.

-Suntan
    07-12-2012 01:42 PM
    I tried to decide yesterday and settled on Nova. Unlike Apex, it allows folders in the app drawer. And in a roundabout way I can set it up so I can double tap the home button and it will show recently used apps.

I was mostly fine w/ touchwiz, but w/ such a large screen I really wanted to use extra space. I don't need a scrolling dock but it's nice to have.
    Interesting. I never even thought about that feature. I guess that's why so many features are included. To show recent apps with Apex you just need to assign a gesture. Pretty simple.
    07-12-2012 01:46 PM
    Interesting. I never even thought about that feature. I guess that's why so many features are included. To show recent apps with Apex you just need to assign a gesture. Pretty simple.
    You can do the same in Nova, overall both have very similar options. One requirement w/ either is you have to be on a home screen to use your gesture.

As suntan said, I don't like holding down the button and waiting. And double tapping works while you are still inside an app. As I have it set up now, technically the first tap just goes to the home screen and the second tap goes to the recent apps list.

Ideally I would just remap the buttons similar to Jellybean which I hope will be available w/ ROMs in the future. I would ditch the menu button and reassign it directly to recent apps.
    07-12-2012 01:56 PM
    Are you sure it's not for ICS? How can I know for sure.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 03:09 PM
    Thanks for all of the feedback and tips on the various launchers. I had been using launcherpro and then switched over to go launcher on my DX. I played around with Go on my SG3 and, unless I can't find it in settings, couldn't figure out how to add more pages. I like that TW has 7 pages, but Go only appears to have 5 unless I'm missing something. Also, I thought someone in this thread mentioned being able to re-size the icons in TW - can someone show me how? Ideally I'm looking to have at least 7 pages and the ability to resize the icons or the grid to have more icons on each page. Thanks again, all of the info here has been a huge help.
    07-12-2012 03:13 PM
    I wish Touchwiz at least had a scrolling dock. If it did I could probably live with everything else. Are you sure it was the launcher that were killing your battery or was it possibly just playing with the launchers and using the phone more than usual?
    I probably should do some more testing with it and see. Unfortunately it still doesn't resolve not getting notifications from the stock apps. :-(

I saw where some of the other launchers allow you to use Go Themes though, so that is an option too.
    07-12-2012 04:29 PM
    The paid version of both Apex and Nova give notification badge counts for gmail, sms and missed phone calls. Both allow GO themes as well.
    ashishb likes this.
    07-12-2012 05:27 PM
    Thanks for all of the feedback and tips on the various launchers. I had been using launcherpro and then switched over to go launcher on my DX. I played around with Go on my SG3 and, unless I can't find it in settings, couldn't figure out how to add more pages. I like that TW has 7 pages, but Go only appears to have 5 unless I'm missing something. Also, I thought someone in this thread mentioned being able to re-size the icons in TW - can someone show me how? Ideally I'm looking to have at least 7 pages and the ability to resize the icons or the grid to have more icons on each page. Thanks again, all of the info here has been a huge help.
    In Go launcher, pinch on home screen then press the plus button to add more homescreens. Max limit is 9.

-Suntan
    ashishb likes this.
    07-12-2012 07:04 PM
    Have any of you tried ss launcher. It's very light weight and fast and extremely customizable.
    If you want a clock/weather widget along the same lines the uccw clock/weather widget is what you want. Both are on the play store.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
    07-12-2012 08:11 PM
    Question for those on apex. When I try using the direct dial, either shortcut, or swipe gesture, I get "failed to launch activity" any ideas? I can't do it from 3rd party apps like minimalistic text either

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-12-2012 09:10 PM
    Do you mean the Direct Dial Widget? If so, I just tried it with Apex and it worked just fine.
    07-12-2012 09:33 PM
    I was using my old phone as a beta for random stuff I downloaded a few days ago and I found sslauncher. It's pretty cool and much different appearance-wise than Nova, Go, ADW, etc.

edit: just saw robotobob mentioned it, you guys should definately check it out, at least the free version. And the free version isn't like most of the other ones where pretty much everything you try to do (like resize widgets) is shown but you have to pay to use.
    07-12-2012 10:07 PM
    I used Launcher Pro+ on my DX, but I'm not really sure what I want to use on the S3. It's too bad that the developer stopped updating LP+.
    07-12-2012 10:28 PM
    I was using my old phone as a beta for random stuff I downloaded a few days ago and I found sslauncher. It's pretty cool and much different appearance-wise than Nova, Go, ADW, etc.

edit: just saw robotobob mentioned it, you guys should definately check it out, at least the free version. And the free version isn't like most of the other ones where pretty much everything you try to do (like resize widgets) is shown but you have to pay to use.
    Yeah you basically can do whatever you want with. Takes a bit of getting used to all the options you have but its pretty cool
    Attachment 30486

This was super minimal homescreen of mine. Best thing is you place anything anywhere. If you like customizing exactly how you want try out the free version
    Sent from my MZ604
    07-12-2012 10:59 PM
    Have any of you tried ss launcher. It's very light weight and fast and extremely customizable.
    If you want a clock/weather widget along the same lines the uccw clock/weather widget is what you want. Both are on the play store.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2
    I just downloaded it to have a look. I'm not a huge fan of the windows phone-like words running off the screen but there's a lot of options so I'll have to give it a look when I get some time.

-Suntan
    07-12-2012 11:26 PM
    There are definitely features I miss in Touchwiz. For example, dock gestures and the option to make the screen icons smaller. I much prefer 5 rows of 4 icons rather than the standard 4 rows. I like options.
    I know Nova Prime has that ability.
    07-12-2012 11:50 PM
    Apex does as well... The only thing I've found lacking in Apex is folder sorting and I just heard from the developer that this will be in a future version.
    07-13-2012 07:23 AM
    Badass wallpaper

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 01:27 PM
    I tried free versions of Apex and Nova. I prefer Nova as it seemed more user friendly and had one or two features I prefer. I think it really depends on what you want and how you want to customize. You should play with the free versions for any launcher before purchasing. Not everyone is going to want the same things.
    07-13-2012 01:58 PM
    All the good themes cost money! Lol. That sucks. I kind of want to get the iPhone theme just to get all the gullible people and be like iPhone 5. Haha. I tried with go launcher but I failed
    07-13-2012 02:17 PM
    TW. Don't set the point in a different launcher. TW is smoother than them all.
    I think it depends on your phone. In my case, Go Launcher & Apex Pro have zero lag & are smooth as butter!

I have noticed lags on older phones when using some animations, but not on newer.

My Epic 4G Touch runs both without any problems!
    07-15-2012 12:56 PM
    Do both launchers require root access for the widget previews (that are customary of stock ICS/Touchwiz)?
    07-15-2012 01:32 PM
    Do both launchers require root access for the widget previews (that are customary of stock ICS/Touchwiz)?
    Apex gives widget previews. To my knowledge Nova does not.
    07-15-2012 04:07 PM
    Apex gives widget previews. To my knowledge Nova does not.
    It may be different if you root but yes Apex free shows the widget previews but you cannot select them from their tab in the app drawer. You have to go to a home screen and add it from there, in which case you do not get the previews - you get the same menu with icons that you get in Nova.
    rexxman likes this.
    07-15-2012 05:08 PM
    I have the paid version of Apex and can tap and hold a Widget preview to install it on a screen. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something you're saying?
    07-15-2012 06:11 PM
104 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD