GMAIL app inbox question...

Blazer

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
GMAIL inbox... I understand the small "chevron" symbols to the left of the sender's name...

2 chevrons indicates that the email was sent to you directly
1 chevron means that you were "cc" on the email
no chevron means that you were part of a "group" send

However, I can not determine why the chevrons are yellow on some email and gray on others.

mikesmith

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The yellow ones are marked as "important".

Select the email then go to more options (the three squares) and you can either mark as important or remove it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: cjsmoove

smitty0255

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
actually, the arrows (>>) are the personal level indicators

1 (>) means sent to your email address among others.
2 (>>) means sent only to you.
0 means bcc or group mailing list.

like mikesmith said, the yellow / grey differentiates between "important" and "not important" for the priority inbox functions.

Mike1951

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
actually, the arrows (>>) are the personal level indicators

1 (>) means sent to your email address among others.
2 (>>) means sent only to you.
0 means bcc or group mailing list.

like mikesmith said, the yellow / grey differentiates between "important" and "not important" for the priority inbox functions.

I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but need to disagree. Even though the following comes from Google help, it is not what I see.

Gmail displays arrows, or 'personal level indicators,' next to messages in your inbox so you can tell if a message was addressed to you, a group, or a mailing list. A single arrow (>) appears next to a message when it is sent to you, and a group of others. Double arrows (>>) indicate that a message is addressed only to you. Arrows won't appear next to messages sent to a mailing list.

Of the emails currently in my Gmail inbox marked with the yellow chevron >>, 99 are addressed to me alone. 9 were sent from individuals to multiple recipients. 51 are from mailing lists.

None show a single arrow.