Ok, so admittedly I've only had the phones for about 4 hours, but am playing around with the NFC and beaming options. I have 2 S3's (one for the wife and one for me).

I am confused a bit on the difference between these:

• NFC
    • Android Beam (requires NFC to be on)
    • S Beam (does not require NFC to be on)
    • Wi-Fi direct.

So I tested these:
    1. I turned on NFC (with S Beam Off) and it won't let me transmit a picture to my wife's phone. The option comes up but when I initiate the transfer, it says S Beam isn't enabled.
    2. NFC off with S Beam on allowed me to, so it didn't matter that NFC was off.
    3. Wi-Fi direct (once connected) allowed me to without having to touch the phones together.

So I am a bit confused what the NFC option does. Is that for reading tags?

Also, I mostly will use the beaming tech to send photos and videos to my wife's phone and vice-versa. While I am fine with messing with the settings, she's not tech-savvy, so I'm wondering how the various options affect battery life. Would it be ok just to leave the SBeam or Wi-Fi direct turned on all the time, or will that cause issues with battery life and it should only be turned on when we need it?

I'm thinking the Wi-Fi direct will cause battery issues since it looks like it is constantly scanning for devices. But if I leave S Beam on all the time, will that cause any issues with battery?
    07-11-2012 10:01 PM
    Its because S beam uses wifi direct instead of NFC (Android beam uses this I believe)
    07-11-2012 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD