I don't think it will, but I need to activate a new S III I just received in order to sell it (verizon will see it as linked to me and not hook it up for the buyer they said) so they will activate it on my line, reactivate the thunderbolt I am keeping (and putting a new free SIM card into it) and then buyer can walk into verizon store and activate it.

My Thunderbolt is rooted, when they deactivate/activate it will the root be removed due to the change in SIM Card?
    07-12-2012 12:58 PM
    Sorry maybe I should have posted this under general, just not sure if I should try to unroot or will i be fine...
    07-12-2012 07:20 PM
    Didn't like the S3, huh? Or is it the locked boot loader?
    07-12-2012 07:29 PM
    Nah, I actually planned to see it before I got it. It has not been activated. I was sitting on a renewal with unlimited, so I used my last chance to get a discounted phone and keep unlimited data. I will pocket the $600 or so and buy something this fall or spring at full price. I still like my rooted Tbolt and still have fun swithching between the MASS amount of developer stuff on that phone.

QUESTION: Verizon corporate store said I needed to activate and then deactivate the phone before I gave it to someone else, or since it was ordered online under my phone number, a store would not activate it for someone else. Does this sound right? I want to sell it as "New in box" type of thing, If I don't activate it first, will the buy have problems?
    07-12-2012 09:11 PM
    The sim has no impact on root. Only issue I see is that you may need another sim card for the Thunderbolt as some have had issues when switching. You may also be able to accept the terms of the new contract without even taking the SIII out of the box. Then the device will be free and clear to activate on a different line. I've done that before over the phone with customer service but that was a 3G only device so not sure if they can just do it on their end or if lte devices are different.
    07-12-2012 09:36 PM
    gotcha, thanks that was what I needed to know. They did say the sim card in the Tbolt would be toast when the switch was done, so they would provide me with a new free one when we reconnected it. I'll ask if there is a way to do it otherwise also, maybe the next CS agent will know more about it...
    07-12-2012 09:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD