10-03-2012 04:34 AM
121 1234 ...
tools
    Welcome to the other side and FREE YOUR MIND NEO!! I hope you guys get that, lol!
    xlDeMoNiClx and Reaper69 like this.
    07-13-2012 12:08 AM
    I must be in the minority. I have owned every iphone from June 2007. I have owned a number of android phones, starting with the Nexus 1. I like both. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other. I use both every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    07-13-2012 12:35 AM
    I came over from having every iPhone since the iPhone 3G. Having my first Android phone for about 12 hours now, I have to say I'm definitely putting my iPhone on craigslist tomorrow. However, I can see that a lot of iPhone users will probably bail on the S3 quickly - just because the learning curve is a little steep and people generally like the iPhone because it's so low maintenance.

I'm a tech enthusiast (****** chills typing that) and this phone is right up my alley. I jailbreak every iPhone I've owned so having all the features I had to jump through hoops to get out of the box is pretty nice. I prefer the iPhone screen in that it's a little more sharp - but the size makes all the difference to me and while the colors of the S3 aren't as accurate, IMO, they're so vibrant that I enjoy this screen far more.

I will definitely miss iMessage and the iPod app - I love podcasts and it seems like a pain in the *** to download them on Android. I'm using Stitcher atm, but it's not ideal...And many of the podcasts I like don't have RSS feeds, just go from ustream straight to iTunes. I'll figure it out, I guess.
    07-13-2012 12:44 AM
    I came over from having every iPhone since the iPhone 3G. Having my first Android phone for about 12 hours now, I have to say I'm definitely putting my iPhone on craigslist tomorrow. However, I can see that a lot of iPhone users will probably bail on the S3 quickly - just because the learning curve is a little steep and people generally like the iPhone because it's so low maintenance.

I'm a tech enthusiast (****** chills typing that) and this phone is right up my alley. I jailbreak every iPhone I've owned so having all the features I had to jump through hoops to get out of the box is pretty nice. I prefer the iPhone screen in that it's a little more sharp - but the size makes all the difference to me and while the colors of the S3 aren't as accurate, IMO, they're so vibrant that I enjoy this screen far more.

I will definitely miss iMessage and the iPod app - I love podcasts and it seems like a pain in the *** to download them on Android. I'm using Stitcher atm, but it's not ideal...And many of the podcasts I like don't have RSS feeds, just go from ustream straight to iTunes. I'll figure it out, I guess.
    Check out Pocketcasts in the market for podcasts. Awesome UI, great support from the developer.
    nooaah likes this.
    07-13-2012 01:08 AM
    I'm 7 days in from switching from the iPhone 4. There is definitely a learning curve and I am really missing imessage, face time, and the audio program. My kids have ipods and I'm missing them calling me 5 times a day while at work. I really like the SG3, but I would be lying if I said I haven't thought about going back to the iPhone. One thing that got me away from that phone is the new one is suppose to have a smaller connector than the old ones. I have SO MANY things that take that connector. Plus I wanted 4G.

I'm still giving it a chance, but it's going to be hard to resist the new Motorola phone that's going to be out soon. I would love to have a smartphone that actually has a decent battery life.
    07-13-2012 01:24 AM
    Check out Pocketcasts in the market for podcasts. Awesome UI, great support from the developer.
    It'll actually pick up all the podcasts I get on iTunes?
    07-13-2012 01:28 AM
    It'll actually pick up all the podcasts I get on iTunes?
    I'd guess it'll get most of them, maybe not all. It's been a while since I used iTunes to manage my podcasts though. And worst comes to worst, you add the RSS feed manually. Clunky, I know, but it works.
    07-13-2012 01:35 AM
    I'd guess it'll get most of them, maybe not all. It's been a while since I used iTunes to manage my podcasts though. And worst comes to worst, you add the RSS feed manually. Clunky, I know, but it works.
    Went ahead and bought it. It has all the podcasts I listen to. Thank you!

Now I just have to figure out how to get Spotify to download songs to my SD card and I'll be 100% good to go.
    07-13-2012 02:04 AM
    I have also come from the IPhone, and to be honest, my main reason supporting a company that controls everything and make you use all their own systems, plugs etc....
    I'm a bit flummoxed here, would you care to elaborate? What do you mean by use their own systems, and plugs? You wanted to use an iPhone, but use use someone else's software to make it run? You can't possibly tell me you didn't like the 30pin connector. Apple has the healthiest accessories market of any smartphone around, and a lot of ties taking advantage of the 30 pin connector.

With that being said, I'm a long time Apple user since before the iPhone owning several Macs, Apple TV, iPhones etc... However rumors, and reported leaks of a longer iPhone 4 didn't really get me excited. Despite owning the Galaxy S3, I still really like iOS a lot and really miss it's polish. However, I'm finding myself liking the customization of Android more and more. Plus the hardware on the S3 simply can't be beat. The 4.8" Super Amoled HD 720P screen is just awesome. Once I figured out how to disable the Samsung keyboard, and downloaded Swiftkey 3, the experience here has been nearly perfect.
    07-13-2012 06:37 AM
    Yeah It's true they are. Apple even tried to sue Samsung to get it banned on stupid *** charges all to have people buy the iphone 5 before the gs3 but they failed

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D
    07-13-2012 07:06 AM
    I'm a bit flummoxed here, would you care to elaborate? What do you mean by use their own systems, and plugs? You wanted to use an iPhone, but use use someone else's software to make it run? You can't possibly tell me you didn't like the 30pin connector. Apple has the healthiest accessories market of any smartphone around, and a lot of ties taking advantage of the 30 pin connector.

With that being said, I'm a long time Apple user since before the iPhone owning several Macs, Apple TV, iPhones etc... However rumors, and reported leaks of a longer iPhone 4 didn't really get me excited. Despite owning the Galaxy S3, I still really like iOS a lot and really miss it's polish. However, I'm finding myself liking the customization of Android more and more. Plus the hardware on the S3 simply can't be beat. The 4.8" Super Amoled HD 720P screen is just awesome. Once I figured out how to disable the Samsung keyboard, and downloaded Swiftkey 3, the experience here has been nearly perfect.
    Sure I will elaborate. (my personal feelings here)

The whole concept behind Apple is to take you for as much money as they can, they do everything just a little different from others so once you have bought in, you tend to be forced to use all their overpriced stuff. They have a huge market of accessories to make sure they grab every penny they can. An it is all unique to their brand. Example is apple computers. They are exactly the same internal hardware as IBM/IBM clones yet cost 1/3 more to have the honer of using their OS. An I ran Hackentosh just for the heck of it. That 30 pin connector is no better, and not even as versatile as how the USB is being used on this GIII now. Or almost anything using USB. It is an institutional standard. The 30 pin connector is big, and only good for what product? Why do you think that is? An no I do not love it I actually disliked it.

Why would you be flummoxed? You even state. You find yourself liking the customization of Android (and why not, its Linux based). The goal behind Apple is to create a false sense of superiority and along with it the feeling you need to pay a premium. I had purchased an Iphone just to see what all the fuss was about ( I have the luxury of doing things like that, as do most on these websites). An I found out. Yes a good product but very controlling and limiting as I thought.

For me apple is about one thing. Creating an "I am better than you feeling". An sadly its working. Good pr and advertising.

An please I do not want to get into an Apple/Other debate. For better or worse Apple is Apple, just another big Corp. like many others trying to grab our money.
    Rev2010 likes this.
    07-13-2012 07:27 AM
    Don't get me wrong my 2 year old uses my wife's iPhone and our iPad in a way that is just easier for her than my androids ( keeps hitting competitive buttons by mistake )..
    There is an app for Android called "Kid's Mode" that you should check out. You can set specific games/apps that can be used while in kid's mode.
    NIKSTORM and evq.003 like this.
    07-13-2012 07:53 AM
    Sure I will elaborate. (my personal feelings here)

The whole concept behind Apple is to take you for as much money as they can, they do everything just a little different from others so once you have bought in, you tend to be forced to use all their overpriced stuff. They have a huge market of accessories to make sure they grab every penny they can. An it is all unique to their brand. Example is apple computers. They are exactly the same internal hardware as IBM/IBM clones yet cost 1/3 more to have the honer of using their OS. An I ran Hackentosh just for the heck of it. That 30 pin connector is no better, and not even as versatile as how the USB is being used on this GIII now. Or almost anything using USB. It is an institutional standard. The 30 pin connector is big, and only good for what product? Why do you think that is? An no I do not love it I actually disliked it.

Why would you be flummoxed? You even state. You find yourself liking the customization of Android (and why not, its Linux based). The goal behind Apple is to create a false sense of superiority and along with it the feeling you need to pay a premium. I had purchased an Iphone just to see what all the fuss was about ( I have the luxury of doing things like that, as do most on these websites). An I found out. Yes a good product but very controlling and limiting as I thought.

For me apple is about one thing. Creating an "I am better than you feeling". An sadly its working. Good pr and advertising.

An please I do not want to get into an Apple/Other debate. For better or worse Apple is Apple, just another big Corp. like many others trying to grab our money.
    Excellent response, and I'm not trying to debate here, I just thought some things needed clarifying. I'm an S3 owner, and couldn't be happier.

For now I'll keep it at that. I was going to elaborate but figured this is not the place. I hope you too are enjoying your S3!
    07-13-2012 08:26 AM
    Yes ChrisXe, I am enjoying it, and it to has its flaws. But overall a very good experience.

Have a good day
    07-13-2012 08:34 AM
    I played with the SIII in the At&t store today (by "played" I mean I looked at the screen and couldn't get past password protection). Just from holding the phone and looking at the display, I know this will be my next phone, and this is coming from a person who has had an iPhone from 2008. I hear a lot of positive stories of people going to the SIII from the iPhone 4s, and loving it.

Who else has come to the SIII from the iPhone? Do you like it?
    I came from ios and love it. When people ask me if it's better than the iPhone I say "its like a stable jail broken iphone" iPhone without limitations.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 08:48 AM
    I'm coming from an iPhone. I'm a tech *****... I admit it. But the software and the hardware couldn't lure me away from iPhone and the apps. I still miss many of my apps honestly. Was using an iPhone since 3GS. Upgraded from a iPhone 4 to the GS3.

I was handling the iPhone last night to play some Pocket Planes and it felt like a small brick in weight and form factor. I do like the retina display still, as the the resolution on some of the apps on the GS3 look a bit muddy.

I just want a nice twitter app like Tweetbot and I'll have zero regrets left
    07-13-2012 09:14 AM
    I have gone back and forth for the last 3 years. I love the fact that the iPhone just works so well, but I like to play with customizing and doing what I want to do. I tried Jailbreaking the iPhone and it just was not the same to me. That is just my opinion though. I have rooted my droid phones and loved what I could do with that. I loved my original Droid for about the first 9 months that I had it and then it started to really slow down. It just was not as smooth so even though I was very much anti-Apple at the time, I tried the iphone for myself. Like I said, it just worked very well for me. I just didn't like not being able to customize. I have gone back and forth a few times with Motorola phones and I have had some issue that brought me back to Apple. The last two phones had bad cameras, in my opinion. I like to use my phone on the go to shoot pictures of the kids at games or just playing. The Motorolas just had too much lag. I bought a S III out of contract and I am hoping that it will be a better experience. ICS sounds like it is far better than gingerbread(that's the last version I used) and Jelly Bean really sounds great so hopefully that will coming soon as well. It's my first time with a Samsung phone so I'm hoping it goes well. It's good to know that I'm not the only one switching to this phone. Maybe that is a good sign.
    07-13-2012 10:38 AM
    Let's say you needed a new phone right now and you have been using a iPhone 3g or 4. Well what will a 4s offer you that the 3g or 4 really doesn't?
    Better screen , faster ui , little better camera?
    Don't get me wrong my 2 year old uses my wife's iPhone and our iPad in a way that is just easier for her than my androids ( keeps hitting competitive buttons by mistake ).
    Give this thing a try even for the trial period ... you will love it I swear.
    the camera on my 4s destroy's the camera on my gnex. Dual core and better graphics, it's quite a bit faster too, and that extends obviously beyond the UI, to web page rendering etc.

I hate it when people talk iOS in these forums. I love my android, but i'm not willing to just make up about other OS's.

btw: there is no theming framework for android nearly as complete and insane as dreamboard.

I went to android because of google's insane advancement in search, google's imo superior dictation (although i find siri more useful than google now, especially in iOS 6, the accuracy just isn't as good.)

problem with talking about that here? 99% of people (who haven't used it extensively) will just trash it cause it's not what they own.
    nooaah likes this.
    07-13-2012 10:55 AM
    I'm an Apple person. Or at least I was. I've had an iPhone since release day. Have bought 8 PowerBook/MacBooks over the course of 15 years, etc. etc.

But about a year ago, one of the magazines I subscribed to in Zinio had to censor a layout from some famous photographers because of fear of Apple's policy. I do photography and felt strongly that Apple should NOT have editorial control but compliance with Apple's puritanical views forced their hand. That was the first step.

Then iCloud was announced and they didn't release it on Snow Leopard which instantly essentially obsoleted two of my Macs because it meant my iDevice updates would no longer sync to those machines. Ironically, my iPad syncs to one of those machines so I'm now forced to clear it out and start over so I can start syncing it with a newer machine.

So I picked up my first Android device last year and back then it was still janky and hackish. The UX was inconsistent and apps really felt like a hacker put them together. The iOS world was definitely more polished back then.

What a difference a year makes though! My S3 is beautiful, there's a slightly jewel-like quality to the blue one and I love the subtlety of the curved glass edges. (The cheap plastic back is another story.) ICS and the app ecosystem have been cleaned up and polished immensely.

There are some annoyances. It's gonna take a LONG time to sync my music to Amazon's cloud since they don't have an iTunes Match equivalent yet. And I don't think we'll ever see Tiny Wings on Android.

But after a week on the S3 and ICS, I can't actually think of any major advantage to iOS at all anymore. I'm so so happy to be free of Apple's chains now. Where some people see Eden, others see fences.

ETA: I just reread it and realized how giddy I sound. I haven't been as in love with a device since the original iPhone came out.
    Rev2010 and lv2bsilly like this.
    07-13-2012 11:42 AM
    I also converted from the iphone 4 to the S3 and at this point don't even think about going back. The main reason for the switch was Itunes screwed me twice, their support is a joke when you have an issue. Also as many others have stated the IOS platform is rather stale, waiting for an apple update just to get a few new features was like waiting for this phone to finally ship.

My wife also got the S3 and she is having a hard time with the transition, every day I get home she seems to have a new problem that was easily handled or non existent on her iphone, so being new to android I search these forums for the answers to her concerns. So thanks for the forums and huge knowledge base here.

Love widgets and wish there were more, the play store seems a bit confusing for me due to using itunes for the last 4 years, the search seems to bring up varied results for me and the categories should have a separate breakdown to make what your looking for easier to find. I'm sure ill get used to it.

The go launcher really intrigued me so I downloaded that and tried to install a theme but was unable to find any themes within the app settings and needed to download go locker to get themes which was confusing? I don't understand why you need to download a few things to get one thing to work but i am sure over time ill figure it out.

Over all I love the S3 and I enjoy learning new things about android and the phone each day as the iphone was just "there". I was also pleased to get as much cash when I sold the 2 iphone 4 phones when the 2 S3s arrived
    07-13-2012 12:27 PM
    surprised about itunes, apple's customer support has always bent over backwards for me. They've replaced phones out of warranty, and even fixed a screen for me for free, while jailbroken. I can't say enough about how good they are.

When I ordered my gnex, i got told about the 2 day processing after i purchased it, and got no info until it was shipped, no where near the experience.
    07-13-2012 12:34 PM
    I also converted from the iphone 4 to the S3 and at this point don't even think about going back. The main reason for the switch was Itunes screwed me twice, their support is a joke when you have an issue. Also as many others have stated the IOS platform is rather stale, waiting for an apple update just to get a few new features was like waiting for this phone to finally ship.

My wife also got the S3 and she is having a hard time with the transition, every day I get home she seems to have a new problem that was easily handled or non existent on her iphone, so being new to android I search these forums for the answers to her concerns. So thanks for the forums and huge knowledge base here.

Love widgets and wish there were more, the play store seems a bit confusing for me due to using itunes for the last 4 years, the search seems to bring up varied results for me and the categories should have a separate breakdown to make what your looking for easier to find. I'm sure ill get used to it.

The go launcher really intrigued me so I downloaded that and tried to install a theme but was unable to find any themes within the app settings and needed to download go locker to get themes which was confusing? I don't understand why you need to download a few things to get one thing to work but i am sure over time ill figure it out.

Over all I love the S3 and I enjoy learning new things about android and the phone each day as the iphone was just "there". I was also pleased to get as much cash when I sold the 2 iphone 4 phones when the 2 S3s arrived
    Yeah the resale value of Apple devices are nice. Apps are what kept me on iOS so long. Even apps like Plex and iCam that are dual, are generally way worse on android, and that's still true for the most part, but at least they've gotten a ton smoother.

As for apple's chains, i don't buy that excuse one bit, jailbreak. If you don't like apple because of news reports, then you should hate every single company in the world, as they all do terrible things to get ahead. Samsung (the makers of my Gnex too) has been destroyed several times on corruption and bribery charges.

The UI does though, finally feel consistant. and i'm happy with it. That being said, i'd never go to an android tablet now, as that's how i maintain access to all those delicious iOS apps.
    07-13-2012 01:16 PM
    Then iCloud was announced and they didn't release it on Snow Leopard which instantly essentially obsoleted two of my Macs because it meant my iDevice updates would no longer sync to those machines. Ironically, my iPad syncs to one of those machines so I'm now forced to clear it out and start over so I can start syncing it with a newer machine.
    lol ~ you can't sync it with icloud, but that doesn't mean you can't sync them (wirelessly too) so you know.

Tons of servers and services that do what icloud in terms of emails, calendars and contacts.

If your talking photos, photo stream doesn't really do that either. The only solution for that really is a plex server, which is totally cross platform
    07-13-2012 01:20 PM
    lol ~ you can't sync it with icloud, but that doesn't mean you can't sync them (wirelessly too) so you know.

Tons of servers and services that do what icloud in terms of emails, calendars and contacts.

If your talking photos, photo stream doesn't really do that either. The only solution for that really is a plex server, which is totally cross platform
    Yeah, there are alternatives but since Apple decided to break what was working perfectly fine for me, and since I was looking at alternatives anyway, I decided the alternatives did not necessarily need to include iOS anymore.
    Kevin OQuinn and evq.003 like this.
    07-13-2012 01:57 PM
    As for apple's chains, i don't buy that excuse one bit, jailbreak.
    The one thing I didn't like about jailbreaking was that it's an illegitmate market. Since it's relegated to the hackers, it doesn't get any consideration for UI or ease of use. And any complaints to that effect fall on deaf hacker ears. Jailbreak apps will never get the investment (in time, money, resources, etc) I'd like to see.

On the other hand, Android apps, while initially in the hacker domain, have finally started to get the polish and attention to detail that iOS apps have.

The UI does though, finally feel consistant. and i'm happy with it. That being said, i'd never go to an android tablet now, as that's how i maintain access to all those delicious iOS apps.
    Same here. I hate Android's tablet approach to apps so I keep my iPad around for the same reason.
    07-13-2012 02:11 PM
121 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD