10-03-2012 04:34 AM
121 12345
tools
    Yep

Sent from the Darkside of the Force
    07-13-2012 02:37 PM
    The one thing I didn't like about jailbreaking was that it's an illegitmate market. Since it's relegated to the hackers, it doesn't get any consideration for UI or ease of use. And any complaints to that effect fall on deaf hacker ears. Jailbreak apps will never get the investment (in time, money, resources, etc) I'd like to see.

On the other hand, Android apps, while initially in the hacker domain, have finally started to get the polish and attention to detail that iOS apps have.

Same here. I hate Android's tablet approach to apps so I keep my iPad around for the same reason.

Cydia is a great app, i think a lot of complaints about it come from people who don't understand how it works, as it's actually an offline app.

most of what i get off cydia are tweaks anyway ~ why would a app developer (unless banned by apple) not use the appstore that can access 100x the installed base? So UI's aren't usually an issue anyway.

I've found quite the opposite with my time in the jailbreak scene, the dev's are usually quick to respond, for example, there are entire API's in dreamboard that i alone and responsible for bugging Wynd to implement.
    07-13-2012 02:48 PM
    Yep

yay, here come the kids who's ego's can't deal with the fact that someone has something other than what they / or their mothers bought.

I hate kids.

Yeah, there are alternatives but since Apple decided to break what was working perfectly fine for me, and since I was looking at alternatives anyway, I decided the alternatives did not necessarily need to include iOS anymore.
    i don't understand how icloud's intro broke syncing for you.
    07-13-2012 02:49 PM
    MobileMe worked. Synced all info, contacts, bookmarks, calendars, etc across my iPad, iPhone, and 3 Macs.

iCloud came out and once you converted your account from MobileMe to iCloud, it didn't sync the computers that didn't support iCloud. Now technically, MobileMe kept working until a few weeks ago when they finally shut it off but if you wanted to take advantage of things like iCloud device backups, obviously you had to switch.

And while there are alternatives to iCloud, only iCloud is as tightly integrated, easy to use, and easy to setup on iOS devices.
    07-13-2012 02:59 PM
    My last 2 phones have been iphones...the 3g and iphone4... I have to say, I absolutely LOVE my new s3!!! I think it beats the pants off the iphone...but there are a few things that irk me about this phone..sending pictures through mms end up blurry from the phone condensing the file ( never had that problem with the iphone)...the app store doesn't have as many good apps (at least IMO), the battery life is TERRIBLE at least compared to my last iphone...and my 4g connection is terrible (but I'm sure that's AT&Ts problem not the phones) but everything else about this phone I love..

It's soo nice having that big beautiful screen..and being able to customize completely without having to jailbreak is super nice too!! I love the addition of widgets...coming from iphone that is very nice!! The best part for me about switching over is not having to use iTunes...Halllelujah!!!!! I hated itunes with a passion...now it's sooo simple to add content to my new galaxy!!
    07-13-2012 03:04 PM
    I don't hate Apple. I have an Ipad 3 and I am typing this on a new MacBookRetina. I switched from the Iphone 4 to the S3 for the following reasons: My Ip4 has some real value now. When the Ip5 comes out in October, that value would decrease. I sold it in 2 hours for about what I paid for the S3. To change the battery in the Ip4 would cost me a fair amount of money. I wanted a larger screen. Virtually every app on my Ip4 is now on my S3. I like Google Maps and the extremely accurate voice input on texts and emails. I have one touch dialing widgits. And of course LTE. When the new sales figures come out, matching the S3 and the Ip4s sales, I think you will see why Apple is trying to litigate. They now have a competitor that they should rightfully fear.

PS. Jelly Bean is coming also. Samsung knows they have a kicka** phone and they are going to stay on top of it to make sure JB gets on it.
    07-13-2012 03:16 PM
    Apple canning Google Maps for their own inferior product was yet another reason to ditch iOS.

Google Maps may end up a separate app on iOS or it may not. But even if it is, it'll never be the default option as Apple don't like competition for their own apps. One more reason to like Android: Google have no problem with you switching out the default apps and have built a good architecture to enable it.
    07-13-2012 03:23 PM
    I played with the SIII in the At&t store today (by "played" I mean I looked at the screen and couldn't get past password protection). Just from holding the phone and looking at the display, I know this will be my next phone, and this is coming from a person who has had an iPhone from 2008. I hear a lot of positive stories of people going to the SIII from the iPhone 4s, and loving it.

Who else has come to the SIII from the iPhone? Do you like it?
    I did I actually have a popular topic here called Samsung S3 gripes. But they are minimal. And the device really is the intended nd of the Android world in my eyes. Very user friendly plus mode to offer feature wise for now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    07-13-2012 03:42 PM
    This picture pretty much sums up why I switched. Reading and web browsing is vastly superior on the 4.8" S3 screen. I shot that with my iPad and there's no red tinge on the S3 in person.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    lv2bsilly and sg01 like this.
    07-13-2012 04:04 PM
    yay, here come the kids who's ego's can't deal with the fact that someone has something other than what they / or their mothers bought.

I hate kids.

Ok i happen to be 29yo and served in the military im far from a kid

Rev2010 likes this.
    07-13-2012 04:12 PM
    I've been with iOS since the orignal iphone off and on. I got mine GS3 on release day and I like it. Wish the screen was a little smaller for my use. Love how you can customize and notifications are a lot better. It's nice not to use itunes for everything.

Via Tapatalk with Galaxy S3
    What do you use iTunes for? I use wireless syncing for everything and have for some time.
    I doubt many average iPhone users will switch. They just want something that works, has lots of apps that can be shared between devices, can go to the Apple store if something breaks, etc. Thats most users and you won't find them on Android or iPhone forums.
    Geeks may switch. But geeks also know the iPhone 5 isn't far behind. It will have LTE and probably a slightly larger screen, no bloatware, malware, easy to find and buy quality apps etc.
    07-13-2012 05:26 PM
    This picture pretty much sums up why I switched. Reading and web browsing is vastly superior on the 4.8" S3 screen. I shot that with my iPad and there's no red tinge on the S3 in person.

Click to view quoted image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Pretty nice. I have both phones and see advantages to both. Android has finally gotten rid of their most obvious and egregious issues like lag.
    07-13-2012 05:27 PM
    Apple canning Google Maps for their own inferior product was yet another reason to ditch iOS.
    Google Maps may end up a separate app on iOS or it may not. But even if it is, it'll never be the default option as Apple don't like competition for their own apps. One more reason to like Android: Google have no problem with you switching out the default apps and have built a good architecture to enable it.
    Well a couple things..
    Google maps will continue to be on iOS there is no doubt of that. Google makes too much money from it and other Google services on iPhones.
    You have't seen the full Apple maps app so you don't know that it is inferior. I actually think it's quite good and I have seen and used it extensively.
    There are many mapping apps for iPhones of very high quality that do not exist on Android. They can't make money there.
    If that was your sole reason to switch its not a very good one.
    07-13-2012 05:30 PM
    I don't hate Apple. I have an Ipad 3 and I am typing this on a new MacBookRetina. I switched from the Iphone 4 to the S3 for the following reasons: My Ip4 has some real value now. When the Ip5 comes out in October, that value would decrease. I sold it in 2 hours for about what I paid for the S3. To change the battery in the Ip4 would cost me a fair amount of money. I wanted a larger screen. Virtually every app on my Ip4 is now on my S3. I like Google Maps and the extremely accurate voice input on texts and emails. I have one touch dialing widgits. And of course LTE. When the new sales figures come out, matching the S3 and the Ip4s sales, I think you will see why Apple is trying to litigate. They now have a competitor that they should rightfully fear.
    PS. Jelly Bean is coming also. Samsung knows they have a kicka** phone and they are going to stay on top of it to make sure JB gets on it.
    I only disagree in that Apple is making by far the lions share of money in smartphones and Samsung is the only Android manufacturers that is not losing money. The rest are all in the red. The Android developer community is insignificant compare to iOS in terms of revenue as well.
    You can put a new battery in an iPhone 4 quite cheaply. Many options there. But why would you need to?
    If you travel on an airplane you can't take spare batteries. That's the only time I might see the need. But I never run out of battery anyway. I think Android users think it is a bigger deal than it is because until recently Android battery life was terrible.
    Apple has bene litigating for a long time. Bit so has Google, Microsoft, Samsung. Everyone does. Many Android users are somehow unaware of this. Microsoft makes a lot of money from Android licenses because of lawsuits for example. Google can and has sued people for using Android differently from how they would like. the supposedly open source Android which has to be the most closed "open source" project in the history of open source.
    07-13-2012 05:36 PM
    I must be in the minority. I have owned every iphone from June 2007. I have owned a number of android phones, starting with the Nexus 1. I like both. It would be hard for me to pick one over the other. I use both every day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Same here.
    07-13-2012 05:38 PM
    Sure I will elaborate. (my personal feelings here)

The whole concept behind Apple is to take you for as much money as they can, they do everything just a little different from others so once you have bought in, you tend to be forced to use all their overpriced stuff. They have a huge market of accessories to make sure they grab every penny they can. An it is all unique to their brand. Example is apple computers. They are exactly the same internal hardware as IBM/IBM clones yet cost 1/3 more to have the honer of using their OS. An I ran Hackentosh just for the heck of it. That 30 pin connector is no better, and not even as versatile as how the USB is being used on this GIII now. Or almost anything using USB. It is an institutional standard. The 30 pin connector is big, and only good for what product? Why do you think that is? An no I do not love it I actually disliked it.

Why would you be flummoxed? You even state. You find yourself liking the customization of Android (and why not, its Linux based). The goal behind Apple is to create a false sense of superiority and along with it the feeling you need to pay a premium. I had purchased an Iphone just to see what all the fuss was about ( I have the luxury of doing things like that, as do most on these websites). An I found out. Yes a good product but very controlling and limiting as I thought.

For me apple is about one thing. Creating an "I am better than you feeling". An sadly its working. Good pr and advertising.

An please I do not want to get into an Apple/Other debate. For better or worse Apple is Apple, just another big Corp. like many others trying to grab our money.

Yeah you really don't know much about Apple. Like most people who complain about them
    07-13-2012 05:40 PM
    Well a couple things..
    Google maps will continue to be on iOS there is no doubt of that. Google makes too much money from it and other Google services on iPhones.
    You have't seen the full Apple maps app so you don't know that it is inferior. I actually think it's quite good and I have seen and used it extensively.
    There are many mapping apps for iPhones of very high quality that do not exist on Android. They can't make money there.
    If that was your sole reason to switch its not a very good one.
    My reasons were listed in previous posts in this thread. Apple Maps won't have public transit built-in, instead relying on third parties to do it themselves, which to me is an inconvenience and also loses the advantage of having a single integrated transit database. For example, you can get public transit directions from NYC to Washington DC, door to door.

And bye bye street view.

Since I don't own a car both of those are pretty important to me. And while Google Maps will likely end up on iOS, it's still yet another app that gets second class citizenship in the Apple garden since you can't replace default apps.

And jailbreaking to enable that ironically makes iOS look like the hackish, janky one and still isn't as seamless as on Android.
    07-13-2012 06:09 PM
    I miss the email client on iOS. I cannot find a good email app on android to save my life. My main email is my @me email (iCloud). The text and pictures do not render like they do on my iPhone. I really wish android can get a good email client with better text and picture rendering.
    07-13-2012 06:35 PM
    icwhatudidthere Just best to ignore Trolls
    07-13-2012 07:03 PM
    the camera on my 4s destroy's the camera on my gnex. Dual core and better graphics, it's quite a bit faster too, and that extends obviously beyond the UI, to web page rendering etc.

I hate it when people talk iOS in these forums. I love my android, but i'm not willing to just make up about other OS's.

btw: there is no theming framework for android nearly as complete and insane as dreamboard.

I went to android because of google's insane advancement in search, google's imo superior dictation (although i find siri more useful than google now, especially in iOS 6, the accuracy just isn't as good.)

problem with talking about that here? 99% of people (who haven't used it extensively) will just trash it cause it's not what they own.
    Ok so you took my light airy post about iPhones not really changing in leaps and bounds the way that android has (ex.. OG droid vs s3 In under 4 years Amazing change ) and you made it into a technical typical fanboy response.
    1. You compared a iPhone to a android phone, when I compared iPhone generations to each other.
    2.you then said I made up stuff about other os's (where?)
    3. And where did I trash anything in my post? Since you were to busy getting all worked up in a fanboy troll like rage you seemed to have missed the point that my wife owns a iPhone ( which gives me ownership since I fix any problem she has ) and I have a iPad 3 (oh wait "new iPad " not to upset you)

So here is my synopsis ..... The iPhone is a great phone with many great features. However it is not the and all and be all of smartphones. There are many other choices out there and the s3 is one of the better choices to make. If you are a iPhone owner amd feel like something different come on over to the s3, it's great ( based on personal working knowledge, not technical nonsense )

This thread typed on my " the new iPad "
    07-13-2012 07:11 PM
    I miss the email client on iOS. I cannot find a good email app on android to save my life. My main email is my @me email (iCloud). The text and pictures do not render like they do on my iPhone. I really wish android can get a good email client with better text and picture rendering.
    Yes, this is so true. The gmail client doesn't have pinch time zoom or any zoom afaict? And the regular mail client can't change the font size and doesn't seem to be able to search on the server. Still haven't found one as good as the ios mail app.
    07-13-2012 07:44 PM
    I've had a blackberry storm 1 &2 and an iPhone 4. I absolutely loved my iPhone but wanted to try android out since i've tried the other major platforms and absolutely love my gs3! Best phone I've ever had and so glad I upgraded to it. Though it's completely different, after a day or so of playing and learning the phone it's easy and can do amazing things! You won't regret switching! It can do everything an iPhone can and more!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 07:56 PM
    [B]This[B] is exactly why many people here do not enjoy iOS. If you are someone who wants to open a box, and just go (my girlfriend ), then iOS is good. But if you really want to arrange the OS how you want it, Android is going to be the direction for you.
    My husband's got a jailbroken iPhone and it provides no challenge to me. Too boring. Good for seniors and people that are intimated by technology. When my friends ask me what smartphone to get I tell them to get the iPhone because its extremely "girl" friendly. Unlike my friends, I like to tinker with my gadgets. Plain vanilla "iPhone" is not my favorite flavor.
    07-13-2012 08:15 PM
    I used iphone since 08 as well. After trying all OS' out there I stuck with android. The iphone screen just got to be too small now. I flip flop between gnex and the one x now. One x screen is gorgeous but nothing beats stock Android.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    07-13-2012 08:38 PM
    If you travel on an airplane you can't take spare batteries.
    If you're saying that you can't take a spare cell phone battery through airport security, that's not true.

TSA: Safe Travel with Batteries and Devices
    07-13-2012 08:55 PM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD