I hear a lot of iPhone users going to this phone.

dotB

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from an iPhone. I'm a tech whore... I admit it. But the software and the hardware couldn't lure me away from iPhone and the apps. I still miss many of my apps honestly. Was using an iPhone since 3GS. Upgraded from a iPhone 4 to the GS3.

I was handling the iPhone last night to play some Pocket Planes and it felt like a small brick in weight and form factor. I do like the retina display still, as the the resolution on some of the apps on the GS3 look a bit muddy.

I just want a nice twitter app like Tweetbot and I'll have zero regrets left :)

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have gone back and forth for the last 3 years. I love the fact that the iPhone just works so well, but I like to play with customizing and doing what I want to do. I tried Jailbreaking the iPhone and it just was not the same to me. That is just my opinion though. I have rooted my droid phones and loved what I could do with that. I loved my original Droid for about the first 9 months that I had it and then it started to really slow down. It just was not as smooth so even though I was very much anti-Apple at the time, I tried the iphone for myself. Like I said, it just worked very well for me. I just didn't like not being able to customize. I have gone back and forth a few times with Motorola phones and I have had some issue that brought me back to Apple. The last two phones had bad cameras, in my opinion. I like to use my phone on the go to shoot pictures of the kids at games or just playing. The Motorolas just had too much lag. I bought a S III out of contract and I am hoping that it will be a better experience. ICS sounds like it is far better than gingerbread(that's the last version I used) and Jelly Bean really sounds great so hopefully that will coming soon as well. It's my first time with a Samsung phone so I'm hoping it goes well. It's good to know that I'm not the only one switching to this phone. Maybe that is a good sign. :)

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Let's say you needed a new phone right now and you have been using a iPhone 3g or 4. Well what will a 4s offer you that the 3g or 4 really doesn't?
Better screen , faster ui , little better camera?
Don't get me wrong my 2 year old uses my wife's iPhone and our iPad in a way that is just easier for her than my androids ( keeps hitting competitive buttons by mistake ).
Give this thing a try even for the trial period ... you will love it I swear.

the camera on my 4s destroy's the camera on my gnex. Dual core and better graphics, it's quite a bit faster too, and that extends obviously beyond the UI, to web page rendering etc.

I hate it when people talk iOS in these forums. I love my android, but i'm not willing to just make up about other OS's.

btw: there is no theming framework for android nearly as complete and insane as dreamboard.

I went to android because of google's insane advancement in search, google's imo superior dictation (although i find siri more useful than google now, especially in iOS 6, the accuracy just isn't as good.)

problem with talking about that here? 99% of people (who haven't used it extensively) will just trash it cause it's not what they own.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm an Apple person. Or at least I was. I've had an iPhone since release day. Have bought 8 PowerBook/MacBooks over the course of 15 years, etc. etc.

But about a year ago, one of the magazines I subscribed to in Zinio had to censor a layout from some famous photographers because of fear of Apple's policy. I do photography and felt strongly that Apple should NOT have editorial control but compliance with Apple's puritanical views forced their hand. That was the first step.

Then iCloud was announced and they didn't release it on Snow Leopard which instantly essentially obsoleted two of my Macs because it meant my iDevice updates would no longer sync to those machines. Ironically, my iPad syncs to one of those machines so I'm now forced to clear it out and start over so I can start syncing it with a newer machine.

So I picked up my first Android device last year and back then it was still janky and hackish. The UX was inconsistent and apps really felt like a hacker put them together. The iOS world was definitely more polished back then.

What a difference a year makes though! My S3 is beautiful, there's a slightly jewel-like quality to the blue one and I love the subtlety of the curved glass edges. (The cheap plastic back is another story.) ICS and the app ecosystem have been cleaned up and polished immensely.

There are some annoyances. It's gonna take a LONG time to sync my music to Amazon's cloud since they don't have an iTunes Match equivalent yet. And I don't think we'll ever see Tiny Wings on Android.

But after a week on the S3 and ICS, I can't actually think of any major advantage to iOS at all anymore. I'm so so happy to be free of Apple's chains now. Where some people see Eden, others see fences.

ETA: I just reread it and realized how giddy I sound. I haven't been as in love with a device since the original iPhone came out.

Last edited:

akapone

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I also converted from the iphone 4 to the S3 and at this point don't even think about going back. The main reason for the switch was Itunes screwed me twice, their support is a joke when you have an issue. Also as many others have stated the IOS platform is rather stale, waiting for an apple update just to get a few new features was like waiting for this phone to finally ship.

My wife also got the S3 and she is having a hard time with the transition, every day I get home she seems to have a new problem that was easily handled or non existent on her iphone, so being new to android I search these forums for the answers to her concerns. So thanks for the forums and huge knowledge base here.

Love widgets and wish there were more, the play store seems a bit confusing for me due to using itunes for the last 4 years, the search seems to bring up varied results for me and the categories should have a separate breakdown to make what your looking for easier to find. I'm sure ill get used to it.

The go launcher really intrigued me so I downloaded that and tried to install a theme but was unable to find any themes within the app settings and needed to download go locker to get themes which was confusing? I don't understand why you need to download a few things to get one thing to work but i am sure over time ill figure it out.

Over all I love the S3 and I enjoy learning new things about android and the phone each day as the iphone was just "there". I was also pleased to get as much cash when I sold the 2 iphone 4 phones when the 2 S3s arrived:D

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
surprised about itunes, apple's customer support has always bent over backwards for me. They've replaced phones out of warranty, and even fixed a screen for me for free, while jailbroken. I can't say enough about how good they are.

When I ordered my gnex, i got told about the 2 day processing after i purchased it, and got no info until it was shipped, no where near the experience.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I also converted from the iphone 4 to the S3 and at this point don't even think about going back. The main reason for the switch was Itunes screwed me twice, their support is a joke when you have an issue. Also as many others have stated the IOS platform is rather stale, waiting for an apple update just to get a few new features was like waiting for this phone to finally ship.

My wife also got the S3 and she is having a hard time with the transition, every day I get home she seems to have a new problem that was easily handled or non existent on her iphone, so being new to android I search these forums for the answers to her concerns. So thanks for the forums and huge knowledge base here.

Love widgets and wish there were more, the play store seems a bit confusing for me due to using itunes for the last 4 years, the search seems to bring up varied results for me and the categories should have a separate breakdown to make what your looking for easier to find. I'm sure ill get used to it.

The go launcher really intrigued me so I downloaded that and tried to install a theme but was unable to find any themes within the app settings and needed to download go locker to get themes which was confusing? I don't understand why you need to download a few things to get one thing to work but i am sure over time ill figure it out.

Over all I love the S3 and I enjoy learning new things about android and the phone each day as the iphone was just "there". I was also pleased to get as much cash when I sold the 2 iphone 4 phones when the 2 S3s arrived:D

Yeah the resale value of Apple devices are nice. Apps are what kept me on iOS so long. Even apps like Plex and iCam that are dual, are generally way worse on android, and that's still true for the most part, but at least they've gotten a ton smoother.

As for apple's chains, i don't buy that excuse one bit, jailbreak. If you don't like apple because of news reports, then you should hate every single company in the world, as they all do terrible things to get ahead. Samsung (the makers of my Gnex too) has been destroyed several times on corruption and bribery charges.

The UI does though, finally feel consistant. and i'm happy with it. That being said, i'd never go to an android tablet now, as that's how i maintain access to all those delicious iOS apps.

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Then iCloud was announced and they didn't release it on Snow Leopard which instantly essentially obsoleted two of my Macs because it meant my iDevice updates would no longer sync to those machines. Ironically, my iPad syncs to one of those machines so I'm now forced to clear it out and start over so I can start syncing it with a newer machine.

lol ~ you can't sync it with icloud, but that doesn't mean you can't sync them (wirelessly too) so you know.

Tons of servers and services that do what icloud in terms of emails, calendars and contacts.

If your talking photos, photo stream doesn't really do that either. The only solution for that really is a plex server, which is totally cross platform:D

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
lol ~ you can't sync it with icloud, but that doesn't mean you can't sync them (wirelessly too) so you know.

Tons of servers and services that do what icloud in terms of emails, calendars and contacts.

If your talking photos, photo stream doesn't really do that either. The only solution for that really is a plex server, which is totally cross platform:D

Yeah, there are alternatives but since Apple decided to break what was working perfectly fine for me, and since I was looking at alternatives anyway, I decided the alternatives did not necessarily need to include iOS anymore.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
As for apple's chains, i don't buy that excuse one bit, jailbreak.

The one thing I didn't like about jailbreaking was that it's an illegitmate market. Since it's relegated to the hackers, it doesn't get any consideration for UI or ease of use. And any complaints to that effect fall on deaf hacker ears. Jailbreak apps will never get the investment (in time, money, resources, etc) I'd like to see.

On the other hand, Android apps, while initially in the hacker domain, have finally started to get the polish and attention to detail that iOS apps have.

The UI does though, finally feel consistant. and i'm happy with it. That being said, i'd never go to an android tablet now, as that's how i maintain access to all those delicious iOS apps.

Same here. I hate Android's tablet approach to apps so I keep my iPad around for the same reason.

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
The one thing I didn't like about jailbreaking was that it's an illegitmate market. Since it's relegated to the hackers, it doesn't get any consideration for UI or ease of use. And any complaints to that effect fall on deaf hacker ears. Jailbreak apps will never get the investment (in time, money, resources, etc) I'd like to see.

On the other hand, Android apps, while initially in the hacker domain, have finally started to get the polish and attention to detail that iOS apps have.

Same here. I hate Android's tablet approach to apps so I keep my iPad around for the same reason.

Cydia is a great app, i think a lot of complaints about it come from people who don't understand how it works, as it's actually an offline app.

most of what i get off cydia are tweaks anyway ~ why would a app developer (unless banned by apple) not use the appstore that can access 100x the installed base? So UI's aren't usually an issue anyway.

I've found quite the opposite with my time in the jailbreak scene, the dev's are usually quick to respond, for example, there are entire API's in dreamboard that i alone and responsible for bugging Wynd to implement.

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Yep

Sent from the Darkside of the Force

yay, here come the kids who's ego's can't deal with the fact that someone has something other than what they / or their mothers bought.

I hate kids.

Yeah, there are alternatives but since Apple decided to break what was working perfectly fine for me, and since I was looking at alternatives anyway, I decided the alternatives did not necessarily need to include iOS anymore.

i don't understand how icloud's intro broke syncing for you.

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site

MobileMe worked. Synced all info, contacts, bookmarks, calendars, etc across my iPad, iPhone, and 3 Macs.

iCloud came out and once you converted your account from MobileMe to iCloud, it didn't sync the computers that didn't support iCloud. Now technically, MobileMe kept working until a few weeks ago when they finally shut it off but if you wanted to take advantage of things like iCloud device backups, obviously you had to switch.

And while there are alternatives to iCloud, only iCloud is as tightly integrated, easy to use, and easy to setup on iOS devices.

Jwow83

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
My last 2 phones have been iphones...the 3g and iphone4... I have to say, I absolutely LOVE my new s3!!! I think it beats the pants off the iphone...but there are a few things that irk me about this phone..sending pictures through mms end up blurry from the phone condensing the file ( never had that problem with the iphone)...the app store doesn't have as many good apps (at least IMO), the battery life is TERRIBLE at least compared to my last iphone...and my 4g connection is terrible (but I'm sure that's AT&Ts problem not the phones) but everything else about this phone I love..

It's soo nice having that big beautiful screen..and being able to customize completely without having to jailbreak is super nice too!! I love the addition of widgets...coming from iphone that is very nice!! The best part for me about switching over is not having to use iTunes...Halllelujah!!!!! I hated itunes with a passion...now it's sooo simple to add content to my new galaxy!!

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I don't hate Apple. I have an Ipad 3 and I am typing this on a new MacBookRetina. I switched from the Iphone 4 to the S3 for the following reasons: My Ip4 has some real value now. When the Ip5 comes out in October, that value would decrease. I sold it in 2 hours for about what I paid for the S3. To change the battery in the Ip4 would cost me a fair amount of money. I wanted a larger screen. Virtually every app on my Ip4 is now on my S3. I like Google Maps and the extremely accurate voice input on texts and emails. I have one touch dialing widgits. And of course LTE. When the new sales figures come out, matching the S3 and the Ip4s sales, I think you will see why Apple is trying to litigate. They now have a competitor that they should rightfully fear.

PS. Jelly Bean is coming also. Samsung knows they have a kicka** phone and they are going to stay on top of it to make sure JB gets on it.

Last edited:

icwhatudidthere

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Apple canning Google Maps for their own inferior product was yet another reason to ditch iOS.

Google Maps may end up a separate app on iOS or it may not. But even if it is, it'll never be the default option as Apple don't like competition for their own apps. One more reason to like Android: Google have no problem with you switching out the default apps and have built a good architecture to enable it.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I played with the SIII in the At&t store today (by "played" I mean I looked at the screen and couldn't get past password protection). Just from holding the phone and looking at the display, I know this will be my next phone, and this is coming from a person who has had an iPhone from 2008. I hear a lot of positive stories of people going to the SIII from the iPhone 4s, and loving it.

Who else has come to the SIII from the iPhone? Do you like it?

I did I actually have a popular topic here called Samsung S3 gripes. But they are minimal. And the device really is the intended nd of the Android world in my eyes. Very user friendly plus mode to offer feature wise for now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
This picture pretty much sums up why I switched. Reading and web browsing is vastly superior on the 4.8" S3 screen. I shot that with my iPad and there's no red tinge on the S3 in person.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Malgus

Banned
Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
yay, here come the kids who's ego's can't deal with the fact that someone has something other than what they / or their mothers bought.

I hate kids.

Ok i happen to be 29yo and served in the military im far from a kid

Sent from the Darkside of the Force