07-16-2012 05:50 AM
60 123
tools
    Can you actually explain what is wrong with TouchWiz? Instead of just saying it's "utterly awful"...

Coming from HTC Sense, and then briefly a rooted stock ICS experience on a Droid Incredible, I was shocked at how utterly awful TouchWiz is. On top of that, the Samsung keyboard is the worst I've ever used.

After a few days, I installed:
    * Nova Launcher
    * Swiftkey 3 (paid)
    * Handcent
    * Fancy Widgets (paid)
    * Zedge (for some normal ringtones)

and now this phone is awesome. Samsung makes outstanding hardware, but they leave a lot to be desired on the software side. I mean, who releases a phone that doesn't even have an actual ringing ringtone? If you're new to Android, try out a few of the apps above, and you will see that your user experience can be MUCH better. Swiftkey 3 has a 30 day free trial, I believe. With Nova, you can edit the number of rows and columns in your screen, as well as giving you a scrolling drawer at the bottom.... so much better than TW.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image
    07-13-2012 09:56 AM
    Can you actually explain what is wrong with TouchWiz? Instead of just saying it's "utterly awful"...
    Sure, for starters I dislike the static number of rows and columns. My screen is much too large to limit me to 4 apps across. I dislike the removal of scrolling wallpaper. I dislike the enormous default clock widget that takes up half the screen. I dislike the inability to resize apps. I think the keyboard is incredibly difficult to use efficiently. I don't like that the messaging app makes me sent pictures as slideshows.

I prefer the ability to have a scrollable tray at the bottom. I prefer the ability to remove text descriptions from apps if I want (just use icons). I prefer the ability to control a lot of options that just aren't available with TW.

Sure, TW is fast and works fine. It just isn't an improvement over what was there to begin with. When given a choice, which ICS thankfully does, I just can't think of any reasons to choose it.
    07-13-2012 10:18 AM
    I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the skins, themselves. For newbies, certainly, the UI skin matters a ton. But for anyone who's been with Android for any length of time, 3rd-party app replacements render the skin discussion pretty much moot.

It's with the built-in app customization that the manufacturers have a real impact. If TouchWiz had been my first experience, I wouldn't have needed to replace every built-in app with something better, but I had to because MotoBlah on my Photon was so throughly horrid. Now those purchases have followed me to the GS3 and the only TouchWiz I see is the occasional button styling.

Sent from my Handspring Trēo 90 using TreoCentral: Forums.
    raremage likes this.
    07-13-2012 10:31 AM
    I'm kindof digging a lot of the Touchwiz stuff, like the swipe right to call and left to message and just picking up the phone to call the contact I'm looking at, etc.

There's some drawbacks of course, but I think I'll stick with it for awhile until I get bored. Most of my complaints I can address with alternative apps.
    07-13-2012 10:40 AM
    I actually like it too...I've had HTC sense its probably looks the best but far from as fluid as touch wiz ...I also hair the Razr and the new Blur is so Nice because it's simple almost stock....but touch wiz is a blend of both fluid simple and packed with options

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 10:57 AM
    I actually like it too...I've had HTC sense its probably looks the best but far from as fluid as touch wiz ...I also hair the Razr and the new Blur is so Nice because it's simple almost stock....but touch wiz is a blend of both fluid simple and packed with options

Hey nice avatar!
    07-13-2012 11:05 AM
    I don't hate TW at all. I don't really love it either. I've installed nova launcher and that's what in using now. The stock keyboard is the worst I have ever used. Good thing the new Swype application is amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 11:25 AM
    It doesn't bother me very much either. The only thing I don't like are the ugly icons Samsung uses. That's about my only gripe and will try to not have to install a launcher. Like others have said, they keyboard sucks but Swiftkey 3 fixes that.
    07-13-2012 11:33 AM
    I suppose I shouldn't be, but I am a little confused of what exactly I'll lose if I switch launchers. Like, will I lose the ability in the dialer to swipe to call/message or the motions such as calling the contact if I lift the phone to my ear?

Is that all launcher functionality, or something else?
    07-13-2012 12:12 PM
    I didn't mind it, but this week I started playing around with other launchers and see that I don't like touch wiz all that much and prefer apex to stock touch wiz

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-13-2012 12:15 PM
    I suppose I shouldn't be, but I am a little confused of what exactly I'll lose if I switch launchers. Like, will I lose the ability in the dialer to swipe to call/message or the motions such as calling the contact if I lift the phone to my ear?

Is that all launcher functionality, or something else?
    Nope, won't lose those functions at all!

07-13-2012 12:24 PM
    Zedge....lol

07-13-2012 02:49 PM
    Just hit back enough times and you'll get back to where you started. It'll close your email and you'll be back at your previous task.
    Hitting the back button does not close the apps and the fewer the key strokes the better.
    07-13-2012 04:54 PM
    The only thing I don't like about TW is the big ugly icons.

07-13-2012 05:06 PM
    I'm scared of swiftkey. It says it can read texts and credit card information.

That's a standard warning that all keyboards display upon installation. You'll see it for Swype, Thumb Keyboard, etc. If you're worried about it, you can read their privacy statement here, outlining what they do and do not track:

Privacy Policy from SwiftKey™ Revolutionary text prediction for smartphones, by TouchType

Google’s third party keyboard warning

This is despite an alarmist warning displayed to Google Android users, which occurs whenever they enable a third-party input method and which states that keyboards “may” collect or log sensitive data (passwords, credit card information, etc.). This statement serves to protect Google legally and is completely inapplicable to any of SwiftKey’s Apps, which have been extensively tested and trusted by Google and millions of users worldwide.
    Hope that helps!
    07-13-2012 08:43 PM
    Touchwiz WORKS great...but it LOOKS like ***. I'm the type of person who likes to customize the look and feel of my devices, so my biggest gripes with Touchwiz are (1) the lame dock that only allows you to put four apps in it, and (2) it doesn't allow you to change icons for apps, folders, and dock items.

I just hate the way my screen looks when I run Touchwiz. I look at my phone a lot...I want it to reflect my tastes, not Samsung's. So I installed Nova Launcher and I'm happy a a pig in ****.

By the way, after a day or so with tweaking Nova Launcher, I discovered the ability to put folders in the dock. I LOVE this feature! I used to use Go Launcher and Launcher Pro with 3 docks of five items, for a total of my 15 most-used apps. Now I have a ton of apps in two docks, arranged by category. Now I just need to design some spiffy new icons to represent the dock folders.
    07-13-2012 08:51 PM
    Anyone try holo launcher plus?
    07-13-2012 09:32 PM
    Touchwiz WORKS great...but it LOOKS like ***. I'm the type of person who likes to customize the look and feel of my devices, so my biggest gripes with Touchwiz are (1) the lame dock that only allows you to put four apps in it, and (2) it doesn't allow you to change icons for apps, folders, and dock items.

I just hate the way my screen looks when I run Touchwiz. I look at my phone a lot...I want it to reflect my tastes, not Samsung's. So I installed Nova Launcher and I'm happy a a pig in ****.

By the way, after a day or so with tweaking Nova Launcher, I discovered the ability to put folders in the dock. I LOVE this feature! I used to use Go Launcher and Launcher Pro with 3 docks of five items, for a total of my 15 most-used apps. Now I have a ton of apps in two docks, arranged by category. Now I just need to design some spiffy new icons to represent the dock folders.
    You can put folders in the Touchwiz dock.
    07-13-2012 11:39 PM
    Anyone not liking the keyboard can go to Swype.com and use that...I can't live without the intuitive punctuation on the board...the stock keyboard is too much like apple's wack punctuationless offering.

07-14-2012 12:10 AM
    I hate the keyboard! Luckily buddy showed me touchpal

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
    07-14-2012 01:55 AM
    All I keep hearing about is how much everyone hates Touchwiz. I like it. It doesn't really bother me other than the keyboard.
    I don't mind it. I tried Apex last night, and didn't like it at all. Homescreen transitions weren't as buttery-smooth as stock TouchWiz, and it used a fair amount of RAM as well. I'll be sticking with TouchWiz.
    07-14-2012 06:36 AM
    Eh, every UI has its pros/cons. It's more about what things you can find in the play store to fix what you don't like. I come from the OG Evo 4G. I use Swiftkey, Handcent, and Dolphin HD on my Galaxy SIII but I did the same for the Evo too.

The big difference I've noticed is the lack of widgets in Touchwiz. I had to go to the market to get a 1x1 Sound Profile and Screen Brightness toggle. I miss HTC's 1x1 toggles for things like 4G and 3G radios. I am yet to find a Task - To do list widget that you can add/edit tasks directly from the home screen without having to leave. (Like you can using the HTC Task/Note widgets)

Although, I find new things everyday. Just reading this post mizzoudrew's screenshot told me I could move the app draw icon on the quick launch bar to the center position. I still have mine in the factory position - I didn't know you could move it. Yesterday I found that you can access google search by long pressing the menu button. That's sweet too. Makes up for no more search key like on the OG Evo. (Using the patent breaking google search APK)

Overall, I'm happy. Just trying to find acceptable alternatives and slowly picking up tricks of the trade.

Complain? This is what I love about Android!
    07-14-2012 07:00 AM
    Sure, for starters I dislike the static number of rows and columns. My screen is much too large to limit me to 4 apps across. I dislike the removal of scrolling wallpaper. I dislike the enormous default clock widget that takes up half the screen. I dislike the inability to resize apps. I think the keyboard is incredibly difficult to use efficiently. I don't like that the messaging app makes me sent pictures as slideshows.

I prefer the ability to have a scrollable tray at the bottom. I prefer the ability to remove text descriptions from apps if I want (just use icons). I prefer the ability to control a lot of options that just aren't available with TW.

Sure, TW is fast and works fine. It just isn't an improvement over what was there to begin with. When given a choice, which ICS thankfully does, I just can't think of any reasons to choose it.
    You can fix 80% of your concerns by installing Nova as your launcher, and 10% of them by dragging the clock widget to the trash. The overall feel of the UI doesn't seem to bother you, most of your concerns are launcher related.
    07-14-2012 07:25 AM
    I don't mind touchwiz too much. But I also thought sense was decent. Sense was nicer to look at than touchwiz. I've tried a couple of other launchers but sort of like the stock clock/weather widget. So if there's a way to pull that over to nova please let me know
    07-14-2012 08:58 AM
    You can fix 80% of your concerns by installing Nova as your launcher, and 10% of them by dragging the clock widget to the trash. The overall feel of the UI doesn't seem to bother you, most of your concerns are launcher related.
    And the remaining 10% by using a different keyboard like Swype or Swiftkey, and a different messaging app, like Handcent or Go SMS.

Sounds to me like all his concerns can be addressed easily. That's the great thing about Android. Don't like something? 99.9% (give it take) of the time you can change it too something you do like (or dislike less)
    07-14-2012 09:08 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD