Am I the only one?

OWybPPgO

Geek Mom
Jun 8, 2012
Visit site
I received an email while reading this post. Jumped to the homescreen and opened the email. The, I hit the homescreen button and brought up the task manager which allowed me to close the email and jump back here.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

Just hit back enough times and you'll get back to where you started. It'll close your email and you'll be back at your previous task.

jaebberwock

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know, maybe Sense 4.0 (is that the latest) is a lot better but I find I prefer touch wiz over whatever version of Sense I had on the Thunderbolt. Really, the only thing I find I miss from the Sense world is having the day's high and low temp visible without having to click the clock and the way that clocks were set up. With sense, I have to make a seperate widget for alarms whereas with sense I could adjust it by clicking on the clock.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I kind of like it too and with Swiftkey installed its great. Hell I'm even digging the stock browser because it takes up ALL the real estate......if I had 1 complaint it's the weather widget somtimes delaying.....I dropped the animations down to 0 and it still does it occasionally,but hell this screen even makes that look nice!
:cool:

Roboticz

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you actually explain what is wrong with TouchWiz? Instead of just saying it's "utterly awful"...

Coming from HTC Sense, and then briefly a rooted stock ICS experience on a Droid Incredible, I was shocked at how utterly awful TouchWiz is. On top of that, the Samsung keyboard is the worst I've ever used.

After a few days, I installed:
* Nova Launcher
* Swiftkey 3 (paid)
* Handcent
* Fancy Widgets (paid)
* Zedge (for some normal ringtones)

and now this phone is awesome. Samsung makes outstanding hardware, but they leave a lot to be desired on the software side. I mean, who releases a phone that doesn't even have an actual ringing ringtone? If you're new to Android, try out a few of the apps above, and you will see that your user experience can be MUCH better. Swiftkey 3 has a 30 day free trial, I believe. With Nova, you can edit the number of rows and columns in your screen, as well as giving you a scrolling drawer at the bottom.... so much better than TW.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

mizzoudrew

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
Can you actually explain what is wrong with TouchWiz? Instead of just saying it's "utterly awful"...

Sure, for starters I dislike the static number of rows and columns. My screen is much too large to limit me to 4 apps across. I dislike the removal of scrolling wallpaper. I dislike the enormous default clock widget that takes up half the screen. I dislike the inability to resize apps. I think the keyboard is incredibly difficult to use efficiently. I don't like that the messaging app makes me sent pictures as slideshows.

I prefer the ability to have a scrollable tray at the bottom. I prefer the ability to remove text descriptions from apps if I want (just use icons). I prefer the ability to control a lot of options that just aren't available with TW.

Sure, TW is fast and works fine. It just isn't an improvement over what was there to begin with. When given a choice, which ICS thankfully does, I just can't think of any reasons to choose it.

Last edited:

Colonel Kernel

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why people make such a big deal out of the skins, themselves. For newbies, certainly, the UI skin matters a ton. But for anyone who's been with Android for any length of time, 3rd-party app replacements render the skin discussion pretty much moot.

It's with the built-in app customization that the manufacturers have a real impact. If TouchWiz had been my first experience, I wouldn't have needed to replace every built-in app with something better, but I had to because MotoBlah on my Photon was so throughly horrid. Now those purchases have followed me to the GS3 and the only TouchWiz I see is the occasional button styling.

Sent from my Handspring Trēo 90 using TreoCentral: Forums.

Last edited:

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm kindof digging a lot of the Touchwiz stuff, like the swipe right to call and left to message and just picking up the phone to call the contact I'm looking at, etc.

There's some drawbacks of course, but I think I'll stick with it for awhile until I get bored. Most of my complaints I can address with alternative apps.

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I actually like it too...I've had HTC sense its probably looks the best but far from as fluid as touch wiz ...I also hair the Razr and the new Blur is so Nice because it's simple almost stock....but touch wiz is a blend of both fluid simple and packed with options

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I actually like it too...I've had HTC sense its probably looks the best but far from as fluid as touch wiz ...I also hair the Razr and the new Blur is so Nice because it's simple almost stock....but touch wiz is a blend of both fluid simple and packed with options

Hey nice avatar! :cool:

brewzer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't hate TW at all. I don't really love it either. I've installed nova launcher and that's what in using now. The stock keyboard is the worst I have ever used. Good thing the new Swype application is amazing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't bother me very much either. The only thing I don't like are the ugly icons Samsung uses. That's about my only gripe and will try to not have to install a launcher. Like others have said, they keyboard sucks but Swiftkey 3 fixes that.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I suppose I shouldn't be, but I am a little confused of what exactly I'll lose if I switch launchers. Like, will I lose the ability in the dialer to swipe to call/message or the motions such as calling the contact if I lift the phone to my ear?

Is that all launcher functionality, or something else?

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't mind it, but this week I started playing around with other launchers and see that I don't like touch wiz all that much and prefer apex to stock touch wiz

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

mizzoudrew

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I suppose I shouldn't be, but I am a little confused of what exactly I'll lose if I switch launchers. Like, will I lose the ability in the dialer to swipe to call/message or the motions such as calling the contact if I lift the phone to my ear?

Is that all launcher functionality, or something else?

Nope, won't lose those functions at all!

KreepyKen

Just a cool guy
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm scared of swiftkey. It says it can read texts and credit card information.

That's a standard warning that all keyboards display upon installation. You'll see it for Swype, Thumb Keyboard, etc. If you're worried about it, you can read their privacy statement here, outlining what they do and do not track:

Privacy Policy from SwiftKey™ ? Revolutionary text prediction for smartphones, by TouchType

Google’s third party keyboard warning

This is despite an alarmist warning displayed to Google Android users, which occurs whenever they enable a third-party input method and which states that keyboards “may” collect or log sensitive data (passwords, credit card information, etc.). This statement serves to protect Google legally and is completely inapplicable to any of SwiftKey’s Apps, which have been extensively tested and trusted by Google and millions of users worldwide.

Hope that helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair