Anyone try the SGS III w/ a WiDi (Wi-Fi Display) adapter?

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I thought it was supposed to work w/ WiDi equipped TVs or WiDi adapters since it's one of the few phones that can do two bonded 802.11n channels for 300mbps bandwidth?

visegrip72

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Ya know, I was playing with my S3 the other day, looking at pictures and saw this icon of a tv with a number in it next to the share buttons on the top menu. Hit it, and it listed my tv. I turned on the tv and clicked it, not having a clue any of this existed on the tv or phone. It worked! was cool, looked at the few pictures I had and even played the videos we took. We have a Sony Bravia tv. Worked quite well, and for the movies, the Sony remote could pause, rewind, etc. It might be able to do more, and we just don't know what is possible. Another neat surprise from the S3 upgrade.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Nice. Thanks for confirming visegrip! :)

Yes, it sounds like your Sony Bravia has WiDi. If you have a newish laptop w/ a Centrino 6205 wifi adapter, it also has WiDi so you can actually use your giant TV as a 2nd screen or a live mirror of your laptop screen....that's the other reason I'm wondering whether a WiDi adapter would be more useful than Samsung's Allshare Wireless adapter :)
It's a technology Intel pushed a few years ago w/ Sandy Bridge but it really hasn't caught on much...

Any lag when you swipe or click on the phone display? Most WiDi adapters seem to have a 1-2 sec delay. And no choppiness w/ your videos?

vtwinracersp2

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Ya know, I was playing with my S3 the other day, looking at pictures and saw this icon of a tv with a number in it next to the share buttons on the top menu. Hit it, and it listed my tv. I turned on the tv and clicked it, not having a clue any of this existed on the tv or phone. It worked! was cool, looked at the few pictures I had and even played the videos we took. We have a Sony Bravia tv. Worked quite well, and for the movies, the Sony remote could pause, rewind, etc. It might be able to do more, and we just don't know what is possible. Another neat surprise from the S3 upgrade.

Which application were you using?

I didn't see an icon like that with the gallery app

I Also have widi

thatwilsonguy

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
That was not widi. That is just DLNA. The S3 has Wireless Direct that is confused with widi. widi is a Intel standard that stands for wireless display. To my knowledge only 2012 LG tv's have widi built in. My phone sees my tv and they try to connect, but it fails. I have a Sprint S3 and a 6700 series LG TV.

If you have a 2011 Samsung D6900 or higher, you should be able to use the allshare app.

visegrip72

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
there is a lag loading up stuff, but for the video, looks like it buffered perfect. can pause/rewind/etc, it did fine.
As for the icon, It was odd, it was there, then it was not, but was on my wife's s3, then it showed back up. To get to it, I went to gallery, then opened a picture, for some reason, videos did not give the icon. Then, to the right of the share thing shows a tv with a 1, just did it and it did not show the tv for a few seconds, so maybe impatience kicked in when I thought it would not work. For the videos, I connected via photo, then swiped to a video and hit it. took a good few seconds, then started playing.

Like I said, this was a total surprise finding since we didn't know this feature existed anywhere, much less the S3 or our TV!

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
That is just DLNA. The S3 has Wireless Direct that is confused with widi. widi is a Intel standard that stands for wireless display.

Doesn't DLNA require both devices to be on the same network? That would mean that visegrip's TV has to be plugged into a wifi router and the S3 also has to talk to the router at the same time?

WiDi (wireless display) shouldn't need a wireless router, so I've always thought it used Wireless Direct (via dual channel bonding) underneath the hood.
Intel reallyyyy screwed up letting everyone know what in the world WiDi is :p
ok...after a bit of a google dig, Wireless Display apparently is a pre-standard subset of WiDi:
Why WiDi? - SmallNetBuilder
On my laptop, the Intel My Wifi app is used to connect to both Wireless Display and WiDi points which is another indication one is a subset of the other...